Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfomance filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
Perfomance filter

Hi there guys !

Need some help have been on to K& N Europe & am looking for a perfomance filter for a CLS 320CDI V6 Diesel

Cheers Eck
CLS,[05] Iridium Silver,,Amg bodystyling with twin Amg Exhaust,Amg 19" Alloys,Nappa Club Design,High Gloss Laurel Wood,Driver& passenger full electric pack + mirrors + sterring column, Heatedfront seats,Heated rear seats,Keyless Go,Luxury Climate Control,Parktronic,Remote boot closing, Paddle Steering Wheel Shift Button's, Bi-Xenon Lamps with Active Light System + cornering + headlamp wash,6 Disc Cd Changer,Command APS with Cd/Dvd + Sat Nav system,Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 surround sound,Telephone prewire, Type of phone Sony, Rear Amg Lip Spoiler ,Updated Management system ECU + 45Bhp + 95NM Torque.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 AMG pkg
Originally Posted by Dieselydoes it
Hi there guys !

Need some help have been on to K& N Europe & am looking for a perfomance filter for a CLS 320CDI V6 Diesel

Cheers Eck
CLS,[05] Iridium Silver,,Amg bodystyling with twin Amg Exhaust,Amg 19" Alloys,Nappa Club Design,High Gloss Laurel Wood,Driver& passenger full electric pack + mirrors + sterring column, Heatedfront seats,Heated rear seats,Keyless Go,Luxury Climate Control,Parktronic,Remote boot closing, Paddle Steering Wheel Shift Button's, Bi-Xenon Lamps with Active Light System + cornering + headlamp wash,6 Disc Cd Changer,Command APS with Cd/Dvd + Sat Nav system,Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 surround sound,Telephone prewire, Type of phone Sony, Rear Amg Lip Spoiler ,Updated Management system ECU + 45Bhp + 95NM Torque.
What do you think of the new V6 compared to the inline 6 three liter engine (before you modified it)? After that ECU upgrade, that thing must move really fast.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Almost a Member!

W210 E300DT Saloon
I wouldn't, the MAF doesn't like K&N filter oil.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M5 Jahre Edition S, KTM 1290R Super Duke ,C63 AMG 2011[Gone],A45 AMG 2013, MV Agusta 750 [2000]
Perfomamnce filter

Originally Posted by oilbelcher
What do you think of the new V6 compared to the inline 6 three liter engine (before you modified it)? After that ECU upgrade, that thing must move really fast.
Well it has to be the fastest diesel I have ever owned , It's really the torque & mid range grunt that make it different from the standard motor. I have previously owned the following E300 DT 1998, E320 CDI straight 6 & latterly CLK 270 CDI [5cyl] with modification,the CLK was fleet ,but wasnt very smooth compared to the 6.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:12 PM

None
I wouldnt take the chance of the k&n i had 2 mb techs tell me i would pay in the end with a new maf. This has also been discussed here on the forum but if you must many guys have had great sucees with green filters.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:34 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
Originally Posted by Dieselydoes it
Hi there guys !

Cheers Eck
IMHO, save your money AND your engine! Objective testing has demonstrated over and over that K&N filters do a poor job of filtering. The oil-wetted media approach is the same thing that was used on my 1947 Chevrolet and continues to be used on crude, cheap machinery like garden tractors and weed-whackers. Modern auto engines ALL use pleated paper microfilters, which can combine low restriction with good filtration.

First, to determine if a low-restriction air filter can actually improve performance, measure 1200 - 4400 rpm full-throttle acceleration time in 2nd gear with a stopwatch. Do three trials and record the results. This is your baseline. Determine the trial-to-trial variation. Next, remove the OEM air filter and repeat the test, again running three trials. If you find an improvement that exceeds the original trial-to-trial variability, you may want to consider a different air filter. I think, most likely, however, you won't find a significant difference. Automobile manufacturers have simple stuff like air filters pretty well figured out.

If your test shows that lower air filter restriction will significantly improve performance, you may want to try an aftermarket filter. Do be aware, however, that better airflow and filtration ability are tradeoffs, and if you find an air filter that truly betters OEM airflow, it's likely it will also pass more dirt. Such is life! You should also be aware that use of a non-original part like an air filter can raise a red flag should warranty issues come to the fore.

My take on K&N is that they market to credulous and not-very-well-informed people. I hope you and your nice diesel don't fall into these categories.

Best regards,

Last edited by khaug; 03-15-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 CLK320CDI AMG// '13 E500 Coupe AMG// '17 E350d AMG
Get a KN, but first clean the excess oil...
I'm using KN filters in my diesel cars for 6 years now, no problems till now, the only problem could be the MAF, so, don't use too much oil.
You will also feal some better throtle response and some better fuel consuption

You will also not lost any factory warranty