Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diesel leak around injectors 300sd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
diesel leak around injectors 300sd

I have replaced the return lines, with clear lines and no bubbles are escaping, I cleaned the head and side of the block with degreaser and washed it well. after about a 15 minute drive the engine warms up nicely, but there is diesel leaking around the injectors at the head. it looks to be leaking from the semicircular "prechamber"? it is the part that actually screws into the head. not the part where the injectors actually screw in. is there a special tool to tighten this part? do the injectors need to be removed? instructions and a tool list would be very helpfull. Thanks!
John
Old 04-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

85 500 SEL
Don’t try to tighten it. It sounds like the injector seal/crush washer is worn and needs to be replaced. Here’s the p/n for the deep injector socket 001 589 65 09 00 and where you can get one:

http://www.samstagsales.com/mercedes.htm

I’d look at the return lines again, they could still be leaking. Injector seal wear in the 617 is rather rare. You’ll also need a torque wrench. I don’t know the torque value off hand, you should have the maintenance CD anyway if you’re going to be doing this kind of work.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:13 PM

Thanks, first real information I have had!

I have this question posted on many forums and this is the first real answer.
part #'s and all. great.
the injectors are dry now that I have return lines on tight. the bubbles are coming up around the seam where the rings meet the head. I hope changing the seals fixes the problem.
John
Old 07-18-2009, 11:01 PM

1994 SL500 E320
Did this solve the issue. Can you describe the process? Where did you get the seals?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
"Most" of the time fuel seeming to bubble up from the base of the inj comes from above. Heat and/or a small loss of comp around the prechamber/inj makes it appear to be the opposite.

Use brake cleaner on a warm engine and spray everything above and around the inj until it is clean and dry, then run it and check it again paying partictular attention to the return lines, metal fuel line where it attaches to the inj and the joint where the two halves of the inj screw together.

The dealer has inj crush washers/heat sheilds. The socket should be 27mm. Lots of folks use a 1-1/16". Needs to be deep well. Pay attention to the return lines barbs and always install a new crush washer/heat sheild when removing an inj.