Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange exhaust burn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
strange exhaust burn

I had a friend of mine find me a place that sells cheap diesel. He found it and I was surprised at how affordable it was! I loaded up the tank and took off, only i realized that now when i drive my exhaust has turned an eerie bluish color... any ideas?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM

W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
Was the fuel red?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM

Actually, now that you mention it, the color did seem different. perhaps it was red? It was at night so i noticed that its clarity was somewhat different... I'm no diesel genius but my friend that found me this place is a diesel mechanic. Maybe he's playing a trick on me. The most notable thing about it is that the exhaust has a different color.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
heating oil

you're probablly using heating oil, it won't do any damage but it is dirtier than the premium/lower sulpher fuel sold for cars and trucks. don't get caught you could be fined for evading the road use taxes
Old 07-06-2006, 12:45 PM

Remember I said it was at night? Well it must have been to dark to see... I went back there Yesterday evening to see what was up... apparent I pumped in some Agri-Diesel. That was a stupid mistake. Thanks for all the help, though. I'm gonna have to pump it out and fill up elsewhere! Thanks again

DanZbenZ
Old 07-10-2006, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Whoa! Don't pump it out.

Yes it is illegal because of no tax, but it is diesel fuel not heating oil if it was dispensed from a pump at a station. Heating oil is typically delivered and never dropped into tanks in the ground for consumers.

Don't worry about the visible smoke. That agri-diesel is actually BETTER for your engine as it typically is higher in sulfur. Sulfur aids lubricity.

So just drive it out, and don't buy it again, as you could get caught, and it is a misdemeanor in most states, a felony in others, and also federal tax evasion.

As long as they don't see you pump it in, you are 99.9% unlikely to get caught, since only trucks are typically checked for off-highway fuel. If you get caught with red fuel, just say you dumped a few quarts of Automatic Trans Fluid into your tank as an additive to clean out the fuel system.

Last edited by cdiken; 07-10-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:15 AM

W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
Originally Posted by cdiken
If you get caught with red fuel, just say you dumped a few quarts of Automatic Trans Fluid into your tank as an additive to clean out the fuel system.
The dip test they do will rule out any red colored additives. It will only react with the dye that is used in the fuel. It is damn near impossible to completely clean the fuel lines/tank of that dye. I once heard from the fuel guys at a Co-Op (could be completely hearsay) that one gallon of red is still detectible in 10,000 gallons of green. If you take a gallon of that 1:10,000 mixture and add it to another 10,000 of green, the dye is still detectible.