Good Von Bad? Offroad Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300 Turbo Diesel 230k
Cool Good Von Bad? Offroad Diesel

Excuse me but i live in the boondocks of ohio and im around alot of farms..................OFF ROAD DIESEL $1.75 per gallon...yes pardon my language MR. EPA but im so tempted to fill up. yes, yes, mr. epa i know, i know its bad for the enviroment due to the high sulfer levels but ive heard that this high sulfer diesel will lubricat my engine twice as good as low sulfer diesel at the pump. Would if be bad of me....will it harm my engine....i heard the fines are real big but honestly, do you think a cop is going to tap my tank?? Any opinions???
Old 10-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Off road all you want

just learn to keep your mouth shut.

Don't brag to friends, don't let the oil delivery truck see a diesel Benz and no tractors in sight, and don't attempt to fuel up at a gas station that sells offroad.

ULSD will suck, but you only have about 2 years until all diesel, including off road, must be ULSD.

Even before that, oil distributors may just dye the ULSD red for off road sales, because they may not have enough tanks to get so many different types of fuel, trucks for delivery, etc.

Look at your state code for the fines. Decide for yourself. You may want to put some kind of screen in line in the filler neck to make it impossible for your tank to be "dipped" roadside. They will struggle, fuss, cry, and try, then just send you on your way.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e300d
Originally Posted by VonTurboW123
Any opinions???

You don't want to get caught doing it - - the fines are significant.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Off-road fuel is exactly the same as the on-road fuel. The only differences are 500ppm sulfur (until 2009), red dye, and no road tax.

Your engine will run no different on it, only your wallet will be able to tell the difference.