Sponsored by:

The Best MB Diesel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best MB Diesel?

Your Help is appreciated!

I am new to this site and indeed to the world of MB diesels. My question: I am looking to purchase a diesel sedan for my everyday driving (city, not daily) that will also be used for frequent and long weekend highway travel. My grandfather drove MB diesels exclusively for years and told of their longevity and road going prowess, however he is gone now as is his MB diesel knowledge. So, what is the right car for me? I am thinking of spending around 10K. Would I be better off with a late model VW TDI? High mileage is not so scary; I look forward to adding some of my own. Thank you for your time and consideration on my behalf.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:21 PM

e300d
Originally Posted by dieselinquires

I am thinking of spending around 10K.

Would I be better off with a late model VW TDI?

Most likely. Any decent running TDI will turn in between 40 -50 mpg depending on local terrain and driving style. Bypass auto trans cars.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 PM
Almost a Member!

1983 300 Turbo Diesel 230k
Talking Comfort vs. Mpg

If your going for comfort get a MB, they are excellent on the highway, my 83 300td loves it. They are made for the autobahn and my MB doesnt feel right until you hit 80mph. If your going for mpg get a TDI, MB's dont have the fuel milage bragging rights. Its all personal preference but im glad to hear your a diesel fan
Old 10-31-2006, 01:06 PM

Winter Cold

Uberwgn & Vonturbo Thanks for the advice. –D.I.

Q for Vonturbo: How does that 83 MB handle the winter cold in Ohio? I am located in Michigan, and my only diesel experience was with an old GM Diesel I had ten years ago. Plugging in the block heater (outside) at 5:00 am in January was always a sobering experience!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The answer is ... the newest one.

VW is a lot cheaper car, and your decision should be based on what you get as a car. You don't get a Mercedes, that's for sure.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

cold experience

Originally Posted by dieselinquires
Uberwgn & Vonturbo Thanks for the advice. –D.I.

Q for Vonturbo: How does that 83 MB handle the winter cold in Ohio? I am located in Michigan, and my only diesel experience was with an old GM Diesel I had ten years ago. Plugging in the block heater (outside) at 5:00 am in January was always a sobering experience!
I have the same problem in ohio, as of now....i purchased a oil pan heater and it really does the trick. i plug it in for like an hour and its starts like its at full operating tempeture. best investiment for that thing. if your worried of getting stuck somewhere when its cold that could be a problem...you could purchase a remote starter that has the capabilites of low temp start. mine for example will start the vehical for like 20min when it reaches 10degree out. they're not that expensive i bought mine from summit for 20bucks and installed it my self
Old 11-02-2006, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Why

I'm wondering why you say that?

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Bypass auto trans cars.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 PM

1996 E300 Diesel
Wink Best MB Diesel

My 2 cents worth is the 1984 190D. I bought one new (never saw it or drove it) and kept it for 20 years and over 300K miles (lite user!)

It had a 5 speed and not much else. No fancy electronics (just the windows and sunroof), but it lasted forever. So why did I get rid of it (yes it is still running as a biodiesel)? The rust was terrible. Usual places, rocker panels.

Over the history of the car, I averaged 50 MPG. Religiously changed the oil and filter every 3K.

So now I have a 1996 E300 Diesel. Bought it this summer with 115K on it. Have had to catch up on the maintenance and some usual wear and tear, but a great car. Wish it was a stick.

Buy a MB diesel, but before you do find a great indie mechanic. Dealers will cause you to go broke.

Also saw on another thread the questions, "Do the babes like diesels?" My answer is they love it. My wife will not let me drive the car anymore. It hers now.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Talking

Originally Posted by CTYANKEE

Also saw on another thread the questions, "Do the babes like diesels?" My answer is they love it. My wife will not let me drive the car anymore. It hers now.
So what was your wife's name and preferably her cell phone number again

"hey baby....i see you have a diesel too...."