Stage 2 Chip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Question Really?

That's your "take?"

Sorry, but many of us here and elsewhere disagree!

You are saying that the E-320 gasser is faster on the top end than the CDI. I disagree.

There is not enough high speed torque in a stock E-320 for it to even begin to reach 5750 rpms in top gear.

How is it that everyone including MBZ says the CDI is quicker 0-60 than the E-320?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late to this Thread

I have a E320 CDI and reside in Western Canada. I have read some of the posts in this thread and I would like to add some comments:

(1) The Passat TDI diesel in Canada was discontinued in late 2005. The lastest Jetta TDI has been dropped in 2006 - both models waiting for VW's Bluetech answer. As VW diesel sales, eapecially the Jetta, were approaching 40% of total volume in Canada, the dealers had seizures when they were advised. Lots of dealers loaded up on '06 TDI Jettas and VW Canada responded to the painful cries by bringing back the '04 Jetta body style. They called this new/old model the Jetta City and it is powered by a gas 4 cylinder 115 HP engine with a standard or auto transmission. It is available as pretty basic transportation, but you can load it with options except for the standard running gear. The pricing is unbelievely low for a VW and is helping the Canadian dealers retain market share and keep afloat. I test drove one of these Jettas and it still has the Germanic look and feel that this car was valued for. The car is also available in a Golf version. Neither car is available for sale in the U.S. market.

(2) I see the argument of the MB inline 6 vs the new V-6 has entered into this thread. I love the 2006 CDI I bought and have never test drove a 2007 E320 Bluetech, so I really can't comment. The 5 speed automatic in the '06 version I have is perfectly mated to the engine. Power is seamless and smooth through all the gears. I sometimes wonder if the number of speeds the automatic has is a marketing ploy much like the horsepower numbers game. Lexus has topped everyone with their 8 speed auto. It will be interesting to see if the servicing cost of these transmissions is relative to the number of speeds.

(3) Of interest to those looking for new '06 CDI's - there are two at the Spokane, Washington MB dealer - one white and the other red in color (I forget the MB names for these colors). The salesman quoted me U.S. $44,500 for the white car and $47,500 for the red one (it has Nav., HK audio, etc.) Both cars have leather seat surfaces and sunroofs.

(4) About importing a new MB into Canada. I went through the motions (I have imported other makes into Canada), but the Canadian Registar of Imported vehicles (known as RIV) makes it very difficult to do this by forcing you to go to the local MB dealer for an evaluation to "Canadianize" the car and get a quote regarding the costs involved. I have heard of horrendous quotes of $4500 and up to do so-called conversions to comply with Canadian vehicle regulations. This, of course, cuts heavily into the cost of importing a new Benz and makes the effort redundant. By the way, the conversion of MPH into KPH on the speedo is an entry away on the computer controlled by the steering wheel controls. Does Daimler-Chysler have a strong Federal lobby or what!?!?! As far as I know, no other car manufacturer has this kind of abuse granted by our government although most of the highend car manufacturers put up some big hurdles to try and block importation.

J. Alan
Old 01-29-2007, 07:09 AM

the original meaning of this thread was to get info on chips for a diesel engine. moslty the 210 models. some have gone way off topic about vw and how much 211 cost. please stay on topic so when i do a search im not reading about vw's and new cars in a mb chip thread. im trying to learn as much as i can with searching thru the forum and not asking the same question as others may have asked over and over. plus this helps me when i search my name i can find it easier to get info on what i was looking for. thanks...

Last edited by mv420xx; 01-29-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 AM

thanks, uve answered questions i couldnt find. yeah i changed the fuel filters already. i wanted to do a exhaust anyway. just curious about the turbo. but its a thought kept in the back of my head now. i should be getting the exhaust done within the next 2 weeks. then ill want to get the chip. cant wait. and thanks again for the info...

Originally Posted by Green E-300 DT
Yes, that's what you need to do. If you are located in his area, you could
contact Oliver and see if going to him is within the possibilities.

He has two programs. The soldered in (different) chip and the "add-on" box.

The best one is the one where a different chip in soldered in place of your original factory chip.

The other program uses what you referred to as a "piggy-back" set-up, but it isn't as powerful
as the program Oliver uses when he changes the factory chip out for a new (different) chip
which he programs with one of at least two programs you choose.
He has at least two different programs that he can put onto that chip, and maybe more by now?

You don't need to change your factory turbo unless you choose to go really ballistic.
Yes, you do have a factory intercooler.
I don't know what the factory turbo pressures are.
Perhaps his programs raise that pressure limit; I don't know.
Maybe Oliver can answer that question for you?

I've no idea what the RW hp/tq figures are, but you will know that your car
does have more after you've install your reprogrammed computer!

You don't need to bypass your factory cat or exhaust system less you intend to go ballistic.
Make sure if you do go with the 218/412 NM program that your fuel filters are good.
When I had him chip mine, the car would go like mad through first and
second gear and then act like it was not getting enough juice.
When I change to a new spin on factory fuel filter, that problem went away.
There is no telling how long that filter had been on the car, as I had never change
it in the 40K miles I had put on the vehicle since I had purchased it used.

HTHs

Old 02-01-2007, 10:32 AM

i just got off the phone with Oliver... very nice guy and very helpfull. ill be seeing him soon after i get the exhaust done. after that ill be heading to maryland for the chip. cant wait...
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
ekm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 ML250, 06 E320 CDI, 2008 GL320 (sold)
Hi All,
Does anyone have some mileage data on the "Oliver chip" as to improvement in MPG? I would assume acceleration improves significantly. I have a 06 CDI and would not mind a new chip but really don't want to sacrafice reliability and mileage.

Any real time experience? I could not see spending $1500 for the European chips.
Thanks...BTW, can is just hitting 36,000.
Ed
Old 04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Unfortunately N J is not Finland

You should look at the Finnish guy posting here who modified his C class diesel car until it is no longer recognizable. If you really wish to increase power and use the car as a daily driver go for a tuning box, straight pipe to back or muffler bypass tube to go side ways. A larger intercooler.

All these are easy to do, reversible items that can ensure the car keeps its value. Whatever you do do not go the way of the eco-nuts and convert to canola. It is a sure way to kill the value of a perfectly good car.