Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Dont ya love the smell of leaking diesel!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont ya love the smell of leaking diesel!

First, the Car:

1997 E300D with 105K

Well, the story starts a few months ago when I notice a puddle of fuel under the car. Upon further inspection (and with some reading here in this forum) I discovered with confidence that one of the clear fuel hoses that is prone to leaking indeed was leaking. So, since work has been busy, I just took it in, they replaced the hoses, and everything seemed peachy.

Now, this weekend, when I am 600 miles from home for Thanksgiving, I start getting this really strong fuel smell inside and outside. I dont see any puddles, and open the hood to check the new hoses. They look fine, but there is a black braided hose that is soaked with fuel.

So, I get out the tools, and remove (what I think was) the intake manifold that goes across the top of the engine and the black plastic cover. What I find was 2 of the 3 (I think - because it is where the brass lines are going in) injector ports were full of fuel....not damp with fuel.....full of it. Interestingly, the three that were full were not next to each other. It was like #1, 5, and 6.

I got it out as best I could, reassembled the cover and manifold, and made the trip back, but the inside of the car reaked of fuel all day, so I am sure they are full again.

I was wondering if any of you had a clue as to what that might be. I have read this forum and poked around other places on the internet, and there are possibilities, but nothing jumps out at me. If it is easy I will fix myself. If not, I want to have a good idea of what it is when I take it in, so they dont just start fishing.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts/ideas.

I am going to go now and work on my SPLITTING headache from breathing diesel fuel all day in the car.