Sponsored by:

'99 E300 TurboDiesel Fuel Lines??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E300 TurboDiesel
'99 E300 TurboDiesel Fuel Lines??

Okay, here's the scoop. My fuel lines have tiny bubbles in them. I'm guessing that means it's replacement time. Should I bow to the dealership to remove the Don Ho syndrome from my fuel system, or is this easily done in an afternoon at home with the correct parts and tools?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Gone to dealer

Drove the '99 E300 Turbo to the dealer tonight. Winds were fierce over the mountains so it was hard to tell if it was stumbling along the way. Hopefully they will try cranking the car when it's nearly freezing in the morning. I think the o-rings on the fuel lines are shot. Having the dealer check the glow plugs as well. I would do all of this myself, but I'm short on time these days.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:26 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Dealer's Response

Well, I'm not sure what to say. The technicians at the dealership, could find no fuel leaks. They pressure tested the fuel system and checked the glow plugs. Plugs are fine and no leaks?? They changed the filters and told me the car is good to go. Hmmm..... I'll have to see how this pans out.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Uh oh!!

Hey folks, guess what? There's still air bubbles in the fuel lines. Hmmmm..... what did I want fixed? It would seem that the service tech didn't retest the system after installing new filters. Looks like another 60 mile drive to the dealer and more $$$.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
can this be normal for diesel engines?

Originally Posted by anghrist
Hey folks, guess what? There's still air bubbles in the fuel lines. Hmmmm..... what did I want fixed? It would seem that the service tech didn't retest the system after installing new filters. Looks like another 60 mile drive to the dealer and more $$$.
Why the obsession to get rid of the bubbles? Are the bubbles doing anything to the car in terms of smoothness or economy?

I asked that because I had a 1999 VW Jetta TDi with the same. I can see through the clear plastic tube coming out of the filter many tiny bubbles but everything was running fine and economy good.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:59 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Why I'm obsessed.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I'm obsessed, but that's just me. The air is getting the the IP and I'm experiencing a little bit of engine "missing" or stutter. It's pretty smooth, but I can feel a slight surge on a smooth road. I can't feel a darned thing on the LA freeways, but I can notice it when I get on smooth pavement. The surging/missing is also present at idle and when actuating the throttle the bubbles present themselves. I'm trying to be proactive about this issue so that it doesn't become a bigger issue later.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tesla Roadster Sport
do yourself a favor, don't take your car to the dealer, find an INDY that does mercedes diesels. I had the same problem the dealer could not replicate the "hard start" or bubbles in the fuel system and sent the car back. Long story short I went to a local indy told him to replace all the lines. It was done no problems. Save yourself the time and money and go to an indy.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Good luck with de-bubbling

Originally Posted by anghrist
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I'm obsessed, but that's just me. The air is getting the the IP and I'm experiencing a little bit of engine "missing" or stutter. It's pretty smooth, but I can feel a slight surge on a smooth road. I can't feel a darned thing on the LA freeways, but I can notice it when I get on smooth pavement. The surging/missing is also present at idle and when actuating the throttle the bubbles present themselves. I'm trying to be proactive about this issue so that it doesn't become a bigger issue later.
Anghrist,

Please update us on your progress in getting rid of those pesky bubbles.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 PM

1999 E300 TurboDiesel
Good Advice

Thanks harkgar. As for independant mechanics, that usually falls on my shoulders. Time to pick up the parts and wrenches. The fuel lines don't look like a huge challenge, nor does the shut-off valve and valve seal. Found diesel purge procedures as well. This shouldn't be a big problem for long.