Sponsored by:

308 CDI 2.2 won't start - hot or cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 308 CDI 2.2 won't start - hot or cold

Hi all!
my Sprinter CDI 308 2.2 was running fine until one day I simply turn the key off. When tried to start it again just 10 seconds after this it couldn't start. I crank it til the battery went flat but no luck. After this someone gave me the idea of spaying some easy start into the air pipe and...miracle - it started straight away. I drove back home with no problems but as soon as I turned the key off and tried to start it, it would get going without easystart. I borrowed a carsoft interface to check the ECU and found out that there ware 5 errors stored on it. I erased them and tried to start it but the problem remained. Then a changed the fuel filter together with the water sensor (the one that goes underneath the filter), stack the pipe which feeds the filter in a bottle full of fuel (just in case there something wrong along the system from the tank to the filter) but the problem was still there. Then removed the plastic cover to expose the common rai, undid the pipe which feeds it, cranked the engine and found out that the pipe is bleeding. After that I undid each one of the 4 pipes feeding the injectors but found out that there is fuel there as well. The engine still sounds great but won't start without easystart. No errors are stored on the ECU neither. Have anyone had similar problem and do you guys have any suggestions of what could have caused it?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:50 PM

W211 CDI, W203, 03 Dodge CTD
What were the error codes?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 PM

I wrote the codes down somewhere but all I can find now is the the posible faulty parts according to AUTODATA. They ware:

fuel shut-off on selonoid
turbo charger boost presure sensor
fuel rail pressure sensor

however, I erased the errors and after about 100 miles of driving the only error stored is:

p0703 stop light switch

epc contorl light does not light

I erased the errors cos I was told that the ECU might stop the engine from starting if it get too many errors in the memory. However the errors are gone (exept p0703) but the engine still won't start without easystart.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Location: Heilbronn am Neckar, Deutschland; Cape Coral, Florida
C123 TurboDiesel - 1985
its things like this that make me proud of my 100% mechanical powered beast!!
Old 01-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Electric lift pump

Transfers fuel to the injector pump.

When you use the e-z start you develop enough RPM so that the injector pump is actually pulling the fuel up.

This is all a guess for the MB, but it WAS the problem when my BMW 524td acted this way. Or, it could be an electric air pre-heater (common in modern direct injection diesels).