Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Old Diesel GLow Plug issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1969 220d
Question Old Diesel GLow Plug issues

I have a 1969 220d 4 cylinder with a 4 speed manual...

when the car is cold in the mornings.. the glow plugs dont want to turn on sometimes... so as bad as it is, I get the car started with a small shot of starting fluid...

BUT as soon as it has run for 5 - 10 seconds, and i shut it off, then the glow plugs will work when i try to restart!

and usually they will continue to work till the engine cools back off completly..

any thoughts?

thanks!

-dan
Old 09-15-2007, 11:52 PM

This would probably solve that http://stat.dealtime.com/DealFrame/D...=0&dlprc=86.68

Last edited by Lurking thanks; 09-15-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 AM

1969 220d
glowplugs

yeaa that looks a lot better than the stock system....mine has all those solid wires bent into crazy looking shapes and bends conecting the plugs..... So i guess that's a better option than trying to mess with the stock setup?

question... is there a seperate switch to activate the new system? I really hate the one built into the starting knob...

also, are the plugs wired in series or parallel? that seem to be in series now from what i can tell..

is this new system different? and are they using 12volt or 6 volt 'quick start' plugs?

thanks!
-Dan
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 PM

the old loop style plugs are in series, the new style are in parallel, so in the old style if one plug burned out then it wouldn't start, i think they are all 12v but dunno lol, does the 1969 220 still use that wire that glows red hot on the dash? is it not coming on when it's cold and then once its started and turned off then the key turned to the on position again, it will light up? does it not light up at all? a diesel that has warmed up a bit should be able to start with out glow plugs during the summer. i'd check the glow plugs and make sure everything it tightened down and check any fuses there should be a heavy duty fuse in there somewhere.

edit: unless you've already done it with in the last couple of months, i'd get new bosch glow plugs and replace all the plugs, if that's not the problem atleast you'll have backups for next time.

Last edited by Lurking thanks; 09-17-2007 at 10:27 PM.