Sponsored by:

Diesel Emissions Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Diesel Emissions Filters

I have noticed alot of rambling in regards to the Bluetec vs. CDI stuff. I have a good friend who did his Masters in Mechanical engineering specializing in airborne particulate emissions. He informed me that the new diesel emissions standards have been so hard to implement for passenger cars because passenger vehicles operate at very low load (in comparison to semi trucks). This low load means low temperatures in the exhaust system (EGT). Low EGT temps make it harder to "burn off" what's coming out of the engine leading to clogged emissions equipment. What does this mean for you? Drive 'em hard! If your prime concern is being eco-friendly, blend with biodiesel at 10-20%.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
If your prime concern is being eco-friendly, use transportation that does not have an engine.

Here is your carbon offset!

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 09-15-2007 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM

MBs
And the Bluetecs use an "after burner" to clean off the particulate filter from time to time: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/dpf.html

PS. Sorry, have not measured the extra lbf of thrust yet.
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Emissions Filters-211afterburner.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 01:34 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Afterburner

The computer simply attempts to manipulate injection timing, etc. to achieve a higher EGT to burn off deposits. That is all there is to the "afterburner".
Old 09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Give us a better picture Mr. 240

Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
If your prime concern is being eco-friendly, use transportation that does not have an engine.

I cannot see the turbodiesel badge on the rear passenger side with my glasses. What happened to the good old black smoke? Have you tuned your car to such perfection that there is none even with all the alcohol, water and methane injections? I would love to lay my hands on one of these modified Freedom Diesels with lots of power and zero emission controls.

I intend to keep my 2006 forever. I have great plans to implement when the warranty runs out. Tuning box is coming in and the cat comes off. I wonder if the cat is monitored by the computer?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

240 Master Tuner

Originally Posted by Wolfgang
And the Bluetecs use an "after burner" to clean off the particulate filter from time to time: http://www.whnet.com/4x4/dpf.html

PS. Sorry, have not measured the extra lbf of thrust yet.
It is a pity no one seems to be doing tuning bits for MB diesels in the USA. They did not sell enough of them I guess. If you go to the American diesel trucks there are hundreds of companies making all sorts of go-faster equipment for them from exhausts to chips to exhaust brakes. Absolutely mind boggling to read.

In Europe the Finns and Swedes are big on diesel tuning too.

MB diesel heads in North America unfortunately have to rely on DIY items.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gimme black smoke

240:

Do you know if I can saw off the catalytic converter in my car without triggering the CEL?

Up to 2006 the MB diesel emission monitoring equipment is not as complicated as the 2007 and newer. In the 1970s all they had were cats without the monitoring which means it was easier to make the engines breathe better without Big Governemnt breathing down our necks.

One major reason I am driving a diesel in Ontario is that passenger diesels are not subjected to the same scrutiny as gasoline ones. Gasoline powered cars over 3 years old have to be inspected every couple of years and have to have these printouts of engine functions. For diesels it is strictly visual. No black smoke and you pass.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

I honestly don't know if you can on your 2006. Follow your exhaust system path and look for any sensors after the cat. If there isn't anything then I'd say it's pretty safe to hollow it out or remove it completely.

I don't know at all if the Bluetec will throw a code without the filter. The Ford 6.4L Powerjoke can have their filter and cat removed without a CEL but they can get stuck in regen mode in the right situation. The Dodge 6.7L Cummins will throw codes and go into limp mode if the filter and cat is removed. I haven't heard of anyone removing them on the 6.6L Duralax.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I honestly don't know if you can on your 2006. Follow your exhaust system path and look for any sensors after the cat. If there isn't anything then I'd say it's pretty safe to hollow it out or remove it completely.

I don't know at all if the Bluetec will throw a code without the filter. The Ford 6.4L Powerjoke can have their filter and cat removed without a CEL but they can get stuck in regen mode in the right situation. The Dodge 6.7L Cummins will throw codes and go into limp mode if the filter and cat is removed. I haven't heard of anyone removing them on the 6.6L Duralax.
I do not remember any sensors AFTER the cat. In fact I was impressed with the lack of resonators after the cat. Just 2 mufflers a few inches before the exhaust tips. Nothing more. What is the likely gain in horsepower with the cat removal? I read on the TDIClub.com website that the turbo acts as a very good muffler and the turbo can spool up a lot quicker with the removal of the muffler (and cat?) without adding a lot to the noise level.

What is your opinion on the Powerstroke, Duramax and the Cummins? From your postings you seem to be sceptical about them. If you have to choose one which would you choose?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The reason I asked about the 3 American diesels is that I found a brand new 2007 Powerstroke Harley Davidson King Cab (bronze paint with saddle leather) with the old style steering wheel and 6.0 liter diesel. Yes, 2007. I think it must be one of those ones built with the leftover engines from 2006. There is a great discount on this and I wonder if I should get a piece of history.

I am also thinking of changing the Suburban. The three quarter tons have the new GM Hydramatic 6 speeds. Pity there is no Duramax.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

I'd pick the Cummins, but only if I could find a programmer to disable the EGR, regeneration and filter/cat monitoring software.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nothing but diesels

I'd pick the Cummins, but only if I could find a programmer to disable the EGR, regeneration and filter/cat monitoring software.
240:

Do you have any experience with any of the domestic diesels? The Cummins seems to be the most reliable with an inline 6 configuration and large displacement to make up the horse power. The latest 2008 Cummins actually states on the window sticker sheet "Bluetec" emission equipment. Is it true that all diesels up to 2006 MY can use virtually any lubrication oils without damaging the cat while as 2007 MY and newer have to use the CJ-4 synthetic?

Why do you think Powerstrokes outsell the rest?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by harkgar
Probably because people see that the powerjoke has two turbos so they think two must be better than one.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I do not remember any sensors AFTER the cat.
There is a differential pressure sensor on the diesel particulate filter. The car needs this info to initiate regeneration when the pressure change becomes too high. Don't know if it would throw codes if the filter was removed, likely it would expect the sensor being faulty if it indicates no pressure difference.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM

MBs
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
There is a differential pressure sensor on the diesel particulate filter. The car needs this info to initiate regeneration when the pressure change becomes too high. Don't know if it would throw codes if the filter was removed, likely it would expect the sensor being faulty if it indicates no pressure difference.
Here's a picture of the differential pressure transducer:

The system checks if the sensed values are "reasonable" and likely goes into limp-home if they fall outside the expected range.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 PM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
240:

Do you have any experience with any of the domestic diesels? The Cummins seems to be the most reliable with an inline 6 configuration and large displacement to make up the horse power. The latest 2008 Cummins actually states on the window sticker sheet "Bluetec" emission equipment. Is it true that all diesels up to 2006 MY can use virtually any lubrication oils without damaging the cat while as 2007 MY and newer have to use the CJ-4 synthetic?

Because the powerstroke was the only choice for many years. Chevy couldn't pull it off, after 3 consecutive flops (pre Duramax), and you had to buy a Dodge to get a Cummins. The Powerstrokes (pre 6.0), were virtually indestructible. I personally drove one for over 500K miles in two trucks and we have over 1.1 Mil mile on our fleet, with Zero major component failures. They are all 7.3's and will be replaced with Duramax's, at least until the 6.4 Twin turbo proves itself.

The 6.0 was not as dependable, especially in it's early years. They were either good or really bad. I know people with both. The resale is much better for the 7.3's than the 6.0's. I just traded a 7.3 for my GL 320. The first question they asked was "it's not a 6.0, is it?"

My 2007+ (2008) Duramax only specifies CJ-4 and says nothing about synthetic. The updated Rotella T made by Shell meets the CJ-4 standard.

Last edited by scottybdiving; 09-18-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
Because the powerstroke was the only choice for many years. Chevy couldn't pull it off, after 3 consecutive flops (pre Duramax), and you had to buy a Dodge to get a Cummins. The Powerstrokes (pre 6.0), were virtually indestructible. I personally drove one for over 500K miles in two trucks and we have over 1.1 Mil mile on our fleet, with Zero major component failures. They are all 7.3's and will be replaced with Duramax's, at least until the 6.4 Twin turbo proves itself.

The 6.0 was not as dependable, especially in it's early years. They were either good or really bad. I know people with both. The resale is much better for the 7.3's than the 6.0's. I just traded a 7.3 for my GL 320. The first question they asked was "it's not a 6.0, is it?"

My 2007+ (2008) Duramax only specifies CJ-4 and says nothing about synthetic. The updated Rotella T made by Shell meets the CJ-4 standard.
Thanks Scotty. I went back to the 2008 Super Duty catalogue, page 11 and found this under "Ford Clean Diesel Technology":

"Ultra Low Sulfur Deisel Fuel, B5 Fuel, and CJ-4 Engine Oil":

The new Powerstroke runs only on ULSD, teh new standard for both NA diesel fuel. It also supports B5, which is made by blending 95% Bio-diesel. CJ-4 egnine oil must be sued for proper lubrication and emissions system operation.

There is no mention of synthetic CJ-4. Is there such an item as synthetic CJ-4 engine oil?

I love the front end, particularly the grill of the Super Duty and like the front end of the Duramax Silverados. Not so hot on the Dodge Cummins. The front ends of the first two are like the Mercedes Benz star and grill. Timeless and instantly recognizable.

The only thing bad about the 7.3 Powerstrokes is the lack of a 5 speed transmission.

By the way what is the weakness of the 6.0 engine?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:07 AM

2008 GL 320, 2007 Silverado LTZ C3500 Duramax Turbo Diesel
One of the many problems has been the fuel management system. The warranty issues were so great that ford and International Harvester came near to getting a divorce. Ford claimed that the 6.0 cost them so much in warranties, they decided to take a discount on the 6.4 twin turbos. I/H said BS and said they would stop building them. It went to court and a temporary ruling was declared that I/H had to continue building them and Ford had to continue paying full price. It seems as though the courts realized that at the many rural Ford dealerships, in middle America, the diesel engine comprised a sizeable if not majority portion of their sales. Therefore, a loss or slack up of production could possibly bankrupt them.

The several week delay caused Ford to cut back production from 3 shifts to 1 shift due to a lack of engines. Therefore, the early 2008's were bringing a premium. After purchasing a Duramax (after 25 years of Fords) I have not followed the court case as to whether they settled or not.

Now, take this into consideration. I know more people that think their 6.0 is the best thing since sliced bread, than the ones who had problems. Many of which worked them very hard for many miles. Another thing is, they did not switch to the 6.0 because they wanted to try something different. It was all about EPA emissions regulations. I see this continually with our heavy equipment, also. They take a proven engine that performs flawlessly, and make a change to meet new standards that proves to be less than desirable.

Last edited by scottybdiving; 09-19-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:30 AM
Banned

It also supports B5, which is made by blending 95% Bio-diesel.
Other way round. 95% diesel, 5% BioDiesel.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scottybdiving
One of the many problems has been the fuel management system. The warranty issues were so great that ford and International Harvester came near to getting a divorce. Ford claimed that the 6.0 cost them so much in warranties, they decided to take a discount on the 6.4 twin turbos. I/H said BS and said they would stop building them. It went to court and a temporary ruling was declared that I/H had to continue building them and Ford had to continue paying full price. It seems as though the courts realized that at the many rural Ford dealerships, in middle America, the diesel engine comprised a sizeable if not majority portion of their sales. Therefore, a loss or slack up of production could possibly bankrupt them.

The several week delay caused Ford to cut back production from 3 shifts to 1 shift due to a lack of engines. Therefore, the early 2008's were bringing a premium. After purchasing a Duramax (after 25 years of Fords) I have not followed the court case as to whether they settled or not.

Now, take this into consideration. I know more people that think their 6.0 is the best thing since sliced bread, than the ones who had problems. Many of which worked them very hard for many miles. Another thing is, they did not switch to the 6.0 because they wanted to try something different. It was all about EPA emissions regulations. I see this continually with our heavy equipment, also. They take a proven engine that performs flawlessly, and make a change to meet new standards that proves to be less than desirable.

Here is the bronze Harley Davidson King Cab with the old 2006 grill though it is a 2007.
Attached Thumbnails Diesel Emissions Filters-power-2007.jpg  
Old 09-19-2007, 04:17 PM

MBs
Here is the bronze Harley Davidson King Cab with the old 2006 grill though it is a 2007.
Ford is working on two new diesel engine projects as far as I have figured. The first one is a new light duty engine, the 4.4 liter V8 "Lion" with an estimated 330 hp and 516 lb-ft. Diesel technology is shared/developed with Peugeot. Then there is the new medium duty "Scorpion", a 6.7 liter V8 also based on this diesel technology, and making an estimated 400 hp and 700 lb-ft and replacing the 6.4 twin-turbo. I believe the engine blocks are to be made of compacted graphite iron (CGI) at Tupy SA in Brazil, and after rough machining sent to Ford Chihuahua for final assembly. Audi, VM Motori (Penske), Cummins, GM also will receive engine blocks from Tupy SA for their diesels.

Here are some slides from a Ford presentation given at the diesel efficiency and emissions conference in Detroit last year:

Light Duty Diesels in North America
A Huge Opportunity
2006 Diesel Engine Emissions Reduction Conference
Drr.. Gerrharrd Schmiidtt –– Viice Prressiidentt Forrd Ressearrch and Advvanced Engiineerriing
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...er_schmidt.pdf

More about the emissions filter approach at Ford, since that is topic of the current thread is here:

Urea SCR and DPF System
for Tier 2 Diesel Light-Duty Trucks
Christine Lambert, Giovanni Cavataio, Yisun Cheng,
Douglas Dobson, James Girard, Paul Laing,
Joseph Patterson, Scott Williams
Diesel Exhaust Aftertreatment Ford Research & Adv Engineering
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehicles...er_lambert.pdf