Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Considering 2008 E Class Bluetec - QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2007 | 10:14 PM

Currently Driving a BMW 325 Sport Wagon
Question Considering 2008 E Class Bluetec - QUESTIONS

Hello everyone - you may have seen me posting on the GL forum however, I had a chance to drive a 2008 320 Bluetec and I think I am totally hooked!! Love the GL but also LOVE the E Class Bluetec

I am doing my homework but hope to have a decision very soon.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) What is the true MPG people are seeing with the car city/highway/combined

2.) I REALLY like the 18"AMG Rims from the E350 Sport. IF I upgraded to the 18" Rims from the standard 16" rims -- would MPG suffer?

3.) How is passing power on the highway? My test drive was around town but am going back this w.end for more

4.) Long trips - how are the seats in the E-Class?

5.) I see lots of feedback that the nav system stinks any software fixes coming to help make the system more user friendly?

Observations:
Love the Pano roof - WOW!
Tend to like the E class in darker colors with tan interior...
Power is great off the line...
Seats seem very comfortable?

Look forward to your insights and hopefully joining the family!
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Jlight
Hello everyone - you may have seen me posting on the GL forum however, I had a chance to drive a 2008 320 Bluetec and I think I am totally hooked!! Love the GL but also LOVE the E Class Bluetec

I am doing my homework but hope to have a decision very soon.

I have a couple of questions:

1.) What is the true MPG people are seeing with the car city/highway/combined

2.) I REALLY like the 18"AMG Rims from the E350 Sport. IF I upgraded to the 18" Rims from the standard 16" rims -- would MPG suffer?

3.) How is passing power on the highway? My test drive was around town but am going back this w.end for more

4.) Long trips - how are the seats in the E-Class?

5.) I see lots of feedback that the nav system stinks any software fixes coming to help make the system more user friendly?

Observations:
Love the Pano roof - WOW!
Tend to like the E class in darker colors with tan interior...
Power is great off the line...
Seats seem very comfortable?

Look forward to your insights and hopefully joining the family!
My car is a 2007 E320 CDi which is similar to the Bluetec in mileage. I get 26 mpg city and 39 mpg highway. I have 18 inch E500 CLS wheels and think I can get better mileage with the standard 16 inch wheels. However, the 18 inch wheels are beautiful. Your call.

Highway is the best place for all turbos. The diesel turbo spools up really fast in both the CDi and the Bluetec. I test drove a Bluetec on the highway and the 7-G transmission really brings out the best in the V-6 engine. The seats are great.

The Bluetecs are made in Germany.
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Here's what Mercedes says about the 18-in wheels:

Originally Posted by MBUSA
Lower aspect tires and accompanying wheels provide substantially increased treadwear, increased tire noise and reduced ride comfort. Serious wheel and tire damage may occur if the vehicle is operated on rough or damaged road surfaces or upon encountering road debris or obstacles. These tires are not designed for use on snow and ice. Winter tires mounted on appropriately sized and approved wheels are recommended for driving in those conditions.
A lot to give up for looks.
Old 11-12-2007 | 07:48 PM
asg

2007 S600
1.) We are getting about 24 mpg city / hwy

2.) We have the 18" E63 wheels on the car.

3.) Plenty of power on the highway for a diesel. The car is a lot of fun to drive. Not the same as my 625 hp S600 though.

4.) Seats are very comfortable, but wish it had the ventilated seats.

5.) NAV not that bad.
Old 11-12-2007 | 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info! The S600 is a awesome! Agree the ventilated seats would be VERY nice!

Originally Posted by asg
1.) We are getting about 24 mpg city / hwy

2.) We have the 18" E63 wheels on the car.

3.) Plenty of power on the highway for a diesel. The car is a lot of fun to drive. Not the same as my 625 hp S600 though.

4.) Seats are very comfortable, but wish it had the ventilated seats.

5.) NAV not that bad.
Old 11-12-2007 | 08:48 PM

I am only getting about 25 also.
Traded in a 2005 because I did not have the extended warranty, but the milage was 33 to 37 all the time.
IIt makes no sense to own a diesel and pay the premium on fuel if you don't get the milage. Get 28 on my 87 300sdl. Very dissappointed!
Better milage for the same size car on the Avalon.
Old 11-12-2007 | 09:33 PM

How many miles do you have on the car?

If it makes you feel better I get about 22.5 (combined) MPG on my 2005 3-Series Wagon and that's on premium fuel as well...

Originally Posted by 12voltman
Traded in a 2005 because I did not have the extended warranty, but the milage was 33 to 37 all the time.
IIt makes no sense to own a diesel and pay the premium on fuel if you don't get the milage. Get 28 on my 87 300sdl. Very dissappointed!
Old 11-13-2007 | 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by 12voltman
Fuel is only part of the equation for any car. You can wipe out years of fuel savings if the car is unreliable. If money is a major issue then you should continue to buy another Avalon. However Toyota does not import modern diesels into North America.

Your 1987 MB is 20 years old and heavy. It has a 4 speed automatic. The mileage is very respectable for its vintage.