HELP Do I need a new IP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML 320
HELP Do I need a new IP?

Please somebody have an answer.

Last month I drove the 1996 E300 with 80,000 miles down to Disney. It ran great but when we got there I did notice a diesel smell. We were all excited about vacation so I told myself I was imagining it.

We drove home and the car still ran great, no problems but the diesel smell followed us home. I looked though the car and finally found the problem. When I removed the plastic cover to expose the injectors I found a pool of diesel on top of the engine. (the car still ran fine at this point but I did notice the glow plug light coming on) I replaced the return lines but as I was doing it I broke a screwdriver in the number 4 injector. When I started the car it ran very rough so I replaced the injector. No good so I replaced the other 5. Still no good so I had it towed to a local shop.

When they first saw it they said it was only running on 5 cylinders, that's why it was smoking and running so rough. They pulled the injectors and did a compression check and said everything looked good. He said the only other thing it could be is the IP for the price of ... $2,900.00! He said it is getting too much fuel and thats why its running so poorly.

I thought the problem might have been electronic. There was allot of diesel under the hood, my glow plug light just started coming on and I have had problems with the wiring harness before (read my stalling post) but he said it couldn't be. My next thought is that the return is somehow clogged. That would explain why the lines broke and why when they were replaced it started running rough..

PLEASE HELP
Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
a few thoughts

Originally Posted by nicker
Please somebody have an answer.

Last month I drove the 1996 E300 with 80,000 miles down to Disney. It ran great but when we got there I did notice a diesel smell. We were all excited about vacation so I told myself I was imagining it.

We drove home and the car still ran great, no problems but the diesel smell followed us home. I looked though the car and finally found the problem. When I removed the plastic cover to expose the injectors I found a pool of diesel on top of the engine. (the car still ran fine at this point but I did notice the glow plug light coming on) I replaced the return lines but as I was doing it I broke a screwdriver in the number 4 injector. When I started the car it ran very rough so I replaced the injector. No good so I replaced the other 5. Still no good so I had it towed to a local shop.

When they first saw it they said it was only running on 5 cylinders, that's why it was smoking and running so rough. They pulled the injectors and did a compression check and said everything looked good. He said the only other thing it could be is the IP for the price of ... $2,900.00! He said it is getting too much fuel and thats why its running so poorly.

I thought the problem might have been electronic. There was allot of diesel under the hood, my glow plug light just started coming on and I have had problems with the wiring harness before (read my stalling post) but he said it couldn't be. My next thought is that the return is somehow clogged. That would explain why the lines broke and why when they were replaced it started running rough..

PLEASE HELP
I am not a mechanic and cannot help you but I think you should make yourself clearer to others.

1) What has the broken screwdriver got to do with the #4 injector? Did you break the injector too?
2) What is an IP?
3) If you changed all the fuel lines, everything is dry and the stalling continues then you have two problems. The leak had nothing to do with the stalling.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML 320
Sorry if I was unclear

1. The diesel fuel return lines run "pigtailed" from one injector to the next. While removing a broken piece of the injector return line from the number 4 injector I accidentally slid a screwdriver in the top of the injector into the hole for the fuel return. The tip broke off in the injector.

2. IP=injection pump

3. All the fuel lines have been changed. The car was running fine until I changed the leaky return lines.

Thank you for your input
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
He said it is getting too much fuel and thats why its running so poorly.
Take it to a different shop. They don't know what they are doing if they think it needs a new injection pump. Diesels RPM speed is controlled by how much fuel is injected. If it was getting too much fuel it would be idling alot higher and/or making alot of smoke out the exhaust.

It's not the injection pump. They almost never fail except from contaminated fuel, physical impact, temperature shock (pouring hot water on a cold pump and vice versa), LOTS of miles or abuse. If it was running fine until you worked on it, then it was something you did so you need to retrace your steps. Think back about everything you did, what you moved, what you leaned on, what you changed and what you might have accidentally done to something.

Make sure you installed the correct injectors.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 11-15-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 S 550
Did you replace the heat shields (crush washers) with the new injectors? Did you by chance forget to put them in?