Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to drive with a 5 year old diesel in a tank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W104 S500 Coupe
Is it safe to drive with a 5 year old diesel in a tank?

I just got my new 1983 300CD turbo 179K.
It was sitting in a driveway for 5yars and owner had newer started it during all this time. It had a full tank of diesel in it. To my amazement after installing a new battery, it started and I drove 100 mile trim to my house with out any problems. The best $2500 I spend on a used car.
Can any one tell me MPG for this one?
Thanks.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If the fuel really is 5 years old it could have slime/bacteria in the fuel tank. This will plug filters injectors. Farm tractors have this problem all the time,, check with your local farmer.

I would drain the tank and flush if possible. Then add new fuel and a diesel clean additive then run the engine. I think you are at risk for fuel system problems with 5 year fuel. But then my wife tells me I am wrong all the time so I could be wrong here.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by vettdvr
If the fuel really is 5 years old it could have slime/bacteria in the fuel tank. This will plug filters injectors. Farm tractors have this problem all the time,, check with your local farmer.

I would drain the tank and flush if possible. Then add new fuel and a diesel clean additive then run the engine. I think you are at risk for fuel system problems with 5 year fuel. But then my wife tells me I am wrong all the time so I could be wrong here.
Welcome to the club brother. Women are always right and were always wrong.

As for the fuel, flush the tank and fuel lines. Also change the fuel filters.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 300D, 1984 190E 2.3, 1985 300D (Fed), 1985 300D (CA), 1999 E300
A year ago this past January I purchased a 1984 300D for a parts car. I t had 300,000 miles. It the car sat for 4.5 years because it would not start......because the owner did not replace the glow plugs. Anyhow, I trailered it home and put three fresh glow plugs in the engine. Next I removed the fuel line at the first filter and primed the pump and second filter off line with some fresh fuel. Reconnected the fuel line. Turned the key and drove the car down the road with 4.5 year old fuel. Yes fuel does get old and 'bad, but diesel has a much better 'shelf life' than gasoline.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Ya bud, I wouldnt drive your ride till you flush the tank and change the fuel fillters, the diesal has probably turned into a sludge. Your most likily creating more problems for your self down the road.

I used to park my B2200 for 6 months at a time, ( i know, but it was a show truck ) anyway, Id change the oil, and spray WD 40 down each spark plug to lube the cyinders before cranking it over.

Moister will get into a motor and can start to rust it, inside out. and you can have big troubles if your not carful.

Good luck!