Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for OM642

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Regarding Bluetecs, correct oil, and the OM642 diesel engine, has anyone here experienced catastrophic engine failure as I and others have? If so, please provide input in my thread here, https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...tml?styleid=19 , as we're currently compiling data of those with similar occurrences. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by krd2023
Regarding Bluetecs, correct oil, and the OM642 diesel engine, has anyone here experienced catastrophic engine failure as I and others have? If so, please provide input in my thread here, https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...tml?styleid=19 , as we're currently compiling data of those with similar occurrences. Thank you!
Ask yourself... what value did your comment provide by resurrecting a 3 year old post to crosspost it to your completely unrelated thread?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
Originally Posted by DubVBenz
Ask yourself... what value did your comment provide by resurrecting a 3 year old post to crosspost it to your completely unrelated thread?
It reminded me to cancel the Sirius subscription on the OM642 vehicle I no longer own. Lol
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 PM

formerly drove a 2010 ML350 BLUETEC, currently drive Mazda, Chevrolet, and Toyota
Hello,
I posted in this thread title “Tuning for OM642”, as we learn from history (I realize the posts are older) and some of us with OM642 engines are having catastrophic and mysterious engine failures. At the very least, several of us with the OM642 are familiar with common issues of this engine (oil leaks, early repairs associated with the adblue pump and heating element / emission system, oil sludging). Also, those here seem to be very knowledgeable about the OM642 (still interested to know why MB took the OM642 out of production; can’t seem to locate a new OM642 to replace our seized OM642… too many engine faults?). My post here and cross-reference seem reasonable to me, and I’m sorry for the perceived intrusion.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Hello,
I posted in this thread title “Tuning for OM642”, as we learn from history (I realize the posts are older) and some of us with OM642 engines are having catastrophic and mysterious engine failures. At the very least, several of us with the OM642 are familiar with common issues of this engine (oil leaks, early repairs associated with the adblue pump and heating element / emission system, oil sludging). Also, those here seem to be very knowledgeable about the OM642 (still interested to know why MB took the OM642 out of production; can’t seem to locate a new OM642 to replace our seized OM642… too many engine faults?). My post here and cross-reference seem reasonable to me, and I’m sorry for the perceived intrusion.
No need to apologize. I think DubV is just cranky because our weather is all over the map in this region as of late.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Hello,
First... OM642 is very much still in production. You can still get it in the MB SUVs in the states, and in the sedans elsewhere. It's no longer in the 212 simply because they decided to put a smaller 4 cylinder in it for even better fuel economy. It's not in the US W222 because the diesel W221 didn't sell very well.

Second, your pages long thread where you simply "stopped pursuing" action from MBUsa is full of inconsistencies and seemingly odd behavior. I used to follow it, but lost interest when you started talking in circles clearly avoiding potential resolutions.

Third... aside from your threads in various forums, there are not a lot of reports of catastrophic OM642 failures. This same engine is used in Jeeps, Sprinters, E, S, ML, GL and G classes here in the states, and if such issues really were common, I'd expect to see tons of threads about it. If you want to talk about a problem engine, take a look at the M272 (3.5 Liter V6) with balance shaft issues. Every car forum that engine was sold in has multiple reports of failures.

So again, ask yourself why you you resurrected a long dead thread about tuning bluetecs to simply reiterate your same line of BS. I , for one, believe you've left out information in your repeated posts. I think you likely cheaped out on oil spec, maintenance intervals or something else that you're not mentioning. Whatever it was, there's more to the story than you're posting online. If there weren't, you'd have already found an appropriate resolution from MBUSA.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 E350 Bluetec, 2007 Corvette supercharged, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Genesis Sedan
Well said !!!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 PM

Or that...
Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM

First... OM642 is very much still in production. You can still get it in the MB SUVs in the states, and in the sedans elsewhere. It's no longer in the 212 simply because they decided to put a smaller 4 cylinder in it for even better fuel economy. It's not in the US W222 because the diesel W221 didn't sell very well.

Second, your pages long thread where you simply "stopped pursuing" action from MBUsa is full of inconsistencies and seemingly odd behavior. I used to follow it, but lost interest when you started talking in circles clearly avoiding potential resolutions.

Third... aside from your threads in various forums, there are not a lot of reports of catastrophic OM642 failures. This same engine is used in Jeeps, Sprinters, E, S, ML, GL and G classes here in the states, and if such issues really were common, I'd expect to see tons of threads about it. If you want to talk about a problem engine, take a look at the M272 (3.5 Liter V6) with balance shaft issues. Every car forum that engine was sold in has multiple reports of failures.

So again, ask yourself why you you resurrected a long dead thread about tuning bluetecs to simply reiterate your same line of BS. I , for one, believe you've left out information in your repeated posts. I think you likely cheaped out on oil spec, maintenance intervals or something else that you're not mentioning. Whatever it was, there's more to the story than you're posting online. If there weren't, you'd have already found an appropriate resolution from MBUSA.
DubVBenz,
I'm just letting you know that I see your response, and your allegations here directed at me (i.e. "same line of BS, left out information, cheaped out on oil spec, maintenance intervals, or something else you're not mentioning") are wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, but I posted my actual 2015 MB experience so it may help others who are dealing with similar situations. I won't take any more time to debate you here or try to win you over, and since I don't drive an MB anymore, you'll only occasionally (if at all) get my attention in this forum. If you have input to add regarding my MB saga, I suggest you post it in my thread here: https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...ne-seized.html
Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Okay, both of you guys... Take it to PMs. You're both shytting in an old thread.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
Before we close out this topic I think there is a very important fact we need to make our own judgment about the reliability of our BT's. I'm not willing to panic and sell my '12 E350 BT but I sure would like to know the results of the oil analyses on the two sludged engines. By now the results should be in.

What did the analysis show? Wrong oil? Dealer failure to service? Engine malfunction (poor design, mechanical failure)?

I think the OP owes us a response before signing off. If not we wasted a lot of time on this.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by mbdiesel12
Before we close out this topic I think there is a very important fact we need to make our own judgment about the reliability of our BT's. I'm not willing to panic and sell my '12 E350 BT but I sure would like to know the results of the oil analyses on the two sludged engines. By now the results should be in.

What did the analysis show? Wrong oil? Dealer failure to service? Engine malfunction (poor design, mechanical failure)?

I think the OP owes us a response before signing off. If not we wasted a lot of time on this.
I see your point, but in the interests of everyone else on board (and searching) for this particular topic... It would pay to have this chat in the appropriate thread.

In case you missed it... This isn't the 'blown OM642' thread.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 e350 bluetec
Rob CL- Sorry. I guess I got tangled up in all the different posts with the same topic. I've responded to the "Another 2010 ML350 Bluetec Engine Seized" post. Hopefully that's the correct one. It would be nice to keep the engine seizure posts all in one spot.