Sponsored by:

97 e300 Oil leak Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 e300d
97 e300 Oil leak Help!

The car had a very small oil leak when I bought it. It is now getting worse. If you look above the water pump there is a 1 inch diamiter tube with a nut type head coming out of the cylinder head, Timing chain tensioner? I dont have my manual yet so do not no what to call it . The leak is coming from the bottom of this tube. Can this be fixed by tighting or does it have and O ring that needs replacing?

I am new to the desiel so any help would be welcomed. Thanks
Old 06-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
It sounds like you are describing the pivot pin holding the tensioner pivot arm to timing cover. The pin is a 17mm hex. See #17. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=045&SGN=03

The EPC shows a oil seal there. The pin goes directly into the timing chain cover and is exposed to oil. Mine didnt have one and the Dealers have never seen one and cant order it.

If you get a allen key you can carefully try to snug it up using a wrench. The fan blades are NOT symmetrical, there are small openings AND large openings. Find the large one. If the allen key is much more than 2" long you have to pull the radiator cross member and loosen the horn bracket and pull the rad forward to get enough clearance. WIS tells you to remove the rad, fan, etc. etc.

Last edited by TMAllison; 06-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.