Sponsored by:

antique 300sd needs help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
company car
antique 300sd needs help!

I have a 1981 300SD turbo, which has never had a problem starting in the past. I have replaced the fuel lines which had rusted out, and i think i got the air out of the lines but it doesn't seem to attempt to start. Can anyone suggest whether there is air in the fuel pump and any advice on how to remove it? Thank you for your input!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
Has a lift pump which draws fuel up form the tank using vacuum. Low fail part even after 30 years. Because it "sucks", any leaks are problematic. Pump the primer pump 50 or 100 times and crank it again. IF you see any fuel weeping or leaking frrom aroudn the primer pump replace it with the "new style" primer pump.

If it acts like it wants to start but wont you could spray some WD40 in the air intake while cranking. Might help it catch. If it doesnt, crack each metal fuel line at the IP while cranking until fuel leaks out. While continuing to crank, tighten that one and move on to the next and repeat until you get to #5.

You will of course check the GP's and relay prior to doing any of this to make sure you have a working glow system first.Wouldnt hurt to have a second battery or vehicle to jump your with and a battery charger for when it gets to low of juice to spin the engine fast enough to do any good.

I wouldn't call yours an antique as there are lots of folks driving the same and older MB's as their daily driver; some becuse they need to and others because they want to.

Last edited by TMAllison; 08-23-2009 at 08:21 PM.