Sponsored by:

300d Won't start & spewing oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1975 300D
300d Won't start & spewing oil

I'm brand new to forum, so thanks in advance for reading my lenghty introduction disseration.

I've got a 75 300d. Bought it 6 years ago when it was running. It's a beautiful car and body is in great shape. Ony 120,000 miles.

At that time I changed glow plugs, re-cored radiator, installed custom exhaust, adjusted valves, changed all fluids and filters, bought new battery and replaced all four tires.

Took it off the road 5 years ago bcuz it was blowing too much black smoke, rear wheel bearing was worn, alternator belt blew and I started medical school. Done with med school; now I want to get her back on the road.

Last month after having injectors rebuilt, replacing alt belt, flushing radiator, changing oil and giving fresh fuel with additive (bled the fuel line w/ mechanical pump till all air was out), could not get it to start. Had a few desperate 'pops' from turning it over, but no go after many, many atempts.

I noticed a large puddle of fresh oil under the car at that time. I cleaned it up and no further leaks... until I tried starting up again a few days later (w/ no success). It seems as though when I crank, oil is pressurized and escapes from someplace!

This 'someplace' I cannot locate. Anybody out there have any any insight in the most likely 'leaky' location?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Raise the car & with a good torch take a good look all around the motor when someone is cranking her over. Locating the leak will give the experts a better chance of diagnosing the problem. Just like in the operating theatre.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
There are many places it can leak, we need at least the general location under the car of where its at.

Drain the tank and put fresh fuel in it.