Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic throttle issues in Jeep CRD 3.0L diesel engine made by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Jeep Diesel 3.0
I read post #18 I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee with 3.0 Diesel. I've got the same issue my light seems intermittent the dealer checked out the turbo lines for leaks and says it's fine but within a day the indicator is lite again shut engine off for a while and lights off but comes back on within hours. I'm wondering if the EGR as you described my be causing the issue any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2015, 02:56 PM

2007 Jeep Diesel 3.0
Post # 18 interesting

I have a 2007 Grand Cherokee Diesel 3.0 the Electronic Throttle Control indicator flashes dealer check it out and could find no issues with boost or leaks they reset the indicator and it came back within a day. Your post of the EGR valve is interesting being the indicator is intermitting makes me wonder if I could have a bad EGR if it was a bad Turbo I would think the lite wouldn’t go out on its own any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55 AMG | Buell Lightning XB12
It's likely either the EGR or swirl valve actuator (black box, in the engine valley). Though there's always the chance it's your throttle body.

The latter is usually a result of blow-by (oil) making its way down from the inlet nozzle of the turbo, and collecting on the box/actuator for the swirl valves.

A good way to keep this from happening, is to install a catch can. Had one on mine and never saw a failure for over 100k mi.

Last edited by Rob CL; 05-13-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:46 PM

Jeep grand cherokee 3l diesel 2007
Rob CL please....can you explain me what is a catch can with easy word that i will be able to translate in french...sorry..i am a french speaker come from montreal,canada....tx to help me sir
My e mail adress is: propunch2016@gmail.com
Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Jeep Commander
Hi, are you found a problem with your Jeep ? Same problem i have

Originally Posted by Oil Man
To Whom It May Concern

I'm driving a Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD made in 2007. From the begining I would like to let you know that english language is not my mother language, consequently some spelling issues may occur.
During a regular trip made just couple a days ago, sudenly, an engine check light flash on the dashboard together with a red light (it's about gear box related, it's like a thunder sign bordered by 2 vertical lines). I was stopped, switched off the engine, re-ignited, than the red ligh goes off but engine check still on. The car was starting running like hell, loosing power, not beeing able to go over 2000 RPM. Moreover, if I was trying for full acceleration from 1500 RPM the car replay like hell: was feeling of hammering underneath. Just driving slowly with very,very gently acceleration up to app. 2000 rpm. After couplke of KM's I was stoipped to a garage. Investigations made, but they cannot do much. They just re-set the car computer and erase the error. A computerising pressure test waqs made: this is made by 5 steps - first 4 steps were running OK, the 5-th one gave error by saying is to slow. Just FYI, I was 250 Km away from home on the way home. As the garage guys have seen, looks like it's about a flow valve from high pressure pump nor 1 of 6 injectors. The garage guys were saying also that could be an injector re-tour issue which is given a troubleshooting to the flow valve. I'm not sure, is just a supposition as looks like some deep investigations are in need.
Did anyone else met this kind of trouble? If yes, may I have an advise from you?

Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Jeep Commander
Old 04-03-2019, 08:00 PM

Gl320 cdi
Hello all I recently bought a 2008 grand Cherokee with the 3.0L with 74k miles/ 118k km on it I am experiencing similar issues, but along with it I am having HOT start issues. The vehicle fires right up on the morning but after driving/ when the vehicle gets up to temperature it turns over 10 or so times before it cranks up. Any help would be great!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:12 PM

Grand Cherokee 3.0crd
ETC light

Hello, new to these forums so thank you in advance for any replies! Was driving my Jeep GC 3.0crd the other day and the ETC light started flashing and went into limp mode. Found what I think is the ccv pipe was loose, so got it seated back as best as I could (it was a bank holiday weekend so nowhere ope to get a replacement) and the light went out and the truck run fine for a few days, then after a short trip out the engine was lumpy on startup and when driven, got home and the ETC light started flashing again. If I stop and restart the engine the light doesn't flash but if I rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm for a short while the light starts flashing again. Could this loose pipe be anything to do with it or am I looking at something far less simple?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
Can you read error codes from ECU?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Grand Cherokee 3.0crd
I've booked the truck in with a local garage to see what they can find, I've tried the key on/off trick but can't get it to work on my truck, I was just hoping for some ideas to prepare me for what I might get hit with from the garage haha
Old 05-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by trevor gee
i have solved the problem with the electronic throttle light (lightening bolt in brackets) the problem is definitely the EGR Valve on the inlet manifold, this is bolted onto the air inlet manifold, there is a butterfly valve inside the housing operated by a small servo (motor) remove the valve off the manifold, remove the air hose, disconnect the switch, then thoroughly clean the inside of the valve with carb. cleaner (a build up of dirt restricts the valve opening, causing the light to come on) replace all parts on the manifold and check. The light should be out.
pic?
Old 01-31-2021, 07:59 AM

grand cherokee
Etc lightening bolt warning light fix on 3.0 crd

Ain’t the internet great for fixing advice, looked up the fix and just did my car. Here’s a quick fix video I did for the throttle warning 3.0 CRD to help others. Seems a common issue
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM

grand cherokee 2007 3.0
Hello! Did you manage to fix the issue? I have exactly the same problem.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-28-2021, 01:23 PM

grand cherokee 2007 3.0
Originally Posted by deant10
Hello, new to these forums so thank you in advance for any replies! Was driving my Jeep GC 3.0crd the other day and the ETC light started flashing and went into limp mode. Found what I think is the ccv pipe was loose, so got it seated back as best as I could (it was a bank holiday weekend so nowhere ope to get a replacement) and the light went out and the truck run fine for a few days, then after a short trip out the engine was lumpy on startup and when driven, got home and the ETC light started flashing again. If I stop and restart the engine the light doesn't flash but if I rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm for a short while the light starts flashing again. Could this loose pipe be anything to do with it or am I looking at something far less simple?

Thanks guys!
Hello! Did you manage to fix the issue? I have exactly the same problem.

Thanks a lot!
Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeep 3.0crd
Hi.
If i had the lightening bolt symbol illuminate, i would pull the codes with a quality scan tool. One that can read manufacture specific codes and not just generic obd ones.

P1270 is a common one and points to swirl motor. Cheap fix is the resistor bypass.

Check the turbo actuator. Get someone to cycle the ignition whilst you look at the actuator. You should see it move. Sometimes will throw boost codes.

Failing it being any of the above i would then look at EGR valve.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:18 PM

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland CRD 3.0
Originally Posted by trevor gee
i have solved the problem with the electronic throttle light (lightening bolt in brackets) the problem is definitely the EGR Valve on the inlet manifold, this is bolted onto the air inlet manifold, there is a butterfly valve inside the housing operated by a small servo (motor) remove the valve off the manifold, remove the air hose, disconnect the switch, then thoroughly clean the inside of the valve with carb. cleaner (a build up of dirt restricts the valve opening, causing the light to come on) replace all parts on the manifold and check. The light should be out.

hi Trevor Gee, I’m having this exact issue on my 2008 Jeep CRD I’m getting the P2102 code, Throttle Actuator control motor circuit low” have been able to find no fix at all for it.