Sponsored by:

Electronic throttle issues in Jeep CRD 3.0L diesel engine made by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Jeep Cherokee Mercedes made CRD 3.0 L turbo diesel

My 2007 Jeep Grand Gherokee, which has a Mercedes made CRD 3.0L turbo diesel engine, had the electronic throttle warning light come on. Notice the car loosing acceleration, made it to the Chrysler dealer. They ran several test, and test drove the car 20 miles, and told me the car was fine, " could have been a computer glitch", is what they said. Next day, the electronic throttle, and the transmission over temp lights warns again. Lost all power, and I was towed to the dealer. They told me the EGR valve had to be replaced, along with the electronic throttle casing?? They test drove the car, and once again the engine stalled. Now they tell me the turbo needs replacing. I get the sense they're just trouble shooting as they go along replacing all of these systems.
They don't seem to have much experience with diesel engines.
I originally purchased my Jeep from an out of state Chrysler dealer.
Present dealer is in California.
Can anyone shed some light on what may be the actual culprit which has caused this domino effect? Should the intercooling system be checked?
A certified Mercedes Benz mechanic recommended, I have the crank shaft position sensor checked. Thanks, LJussen
The following users liked this post:
Karl Gud (01-03-2021)
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by Ljussen
My 2007 Jeep Grand Gherokee, which has a Mercedes made CRD 3.0L turbo diesel engine, had the electronic throttle warning light come on. Notice the car loosing acceleration, made it to the Chrysler dealer. They ran several test, and test drove the car 20 miles, and told me the car was fine, " could have been a computer glitch", is what they said. Next day, the electronic throttle, and the transmission over temp lights warns again. Lost all power, and I was towed to the dealer. They told me the EGR valve had to be replaced, along with the electronic throttle casing?? They test drove the car, and once again the engine stalled. Now they tell me the turbo needs replacing. I get the sense they're just trouble shooting as they go along replacing all of these systems.
Can anyone shed some light on what may be the actual culprit which has caused this domino effect? Should the intercooling system be checked?
A certified Mercedes Benz mechanic recommended, I have the crank shaft position sensor checked. Thanks, LJussen
Both the crank position sensor and the intercooler plastic tube (loosened) had problems in the earlier (2007) Bluetec V-6 engines. These problems had been posted on this site though you would have to go back quite a bit to find them.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM

Thanks Hakgar!! Will relay your info to my Jeep Dealer/mechanic.
L Jussen
Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD
GC 3.0L CRD 2007

To Whom It May Concern

I'm driving a Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD made in 2007. From the begining I would like to let you know that english language is not my mother language, consequently some spelling issues may occur.
During a regular trip made just couple a days ago, sudenly, an engine check light flash on the dashboard together with a red light (it's about gear box related, it's like a thunder sign bordered by 2 vertical lines). I was stopped, switched off the engine, re-ignited, than the red ligh goes off but engine check still on. The car was starting running like hell, loosing power, not beeing able to go over 2000 RPM. Moreover, if I was trying for full acceleration from 1500 RPM the car replay like hell: was feeling of hammering underneath. Just driving slowly with very,very gently acceleration up to app. 2000 rpm. After couplke of KM's I was stoipped to a garage. Investigations made, but they cannot do much. They just re-set the car computer and erase the error. A computerising pressure test waqs made: this is made by 5 steps - first 4 steps were running OK, the 5-th one gave error by saying is to slow. Just FYI, I was 250 Km away from home on the way home. As the garage guys have seen, looks like it's about a flow valve from high pressure pump nor 1 of 6 injectors. The garage guys were saying also that could be an injector re-tour issue which is given a troubleshooting to the flow valve. I'm not sure, is just a supposition as looks like some deep investigations are in need.
Did anyone else met this kind of trouble? If yes, may I have an advise from you?
Old 09-19-2010, 03:04 AM

to Oil man regarding electronic throttle issues in the Jeep diesel

I finally got my 3.0L Jeep Cherokee CRD (mercedes common rail diesel) fixed. The Chrysler service department said that the problem of the electronic throttle warning light, (thunder bolt with two brackets on either side), was most likely prompted by the turbo going bad. The EGR valve needed to be replaced as well, which I'm not certain if the valve not being replaced damaged the turbo, or if the malfunctioning turbo, damaged the EGR valve.
If you still hear the knocks in your engine, have your mechanic check your EGR valve, as well as the turbo. If you're loosing acceleration, and your engine is working hard, clearing the computer error codes will not solve it.
All the best. L Jussen
Old 09-12-2011, 12:02 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2007 Diesel 3.0L, mercedes engine
Originally Posted by Ljussen
I have the exact same problem with my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee.When they opened-up the engine,they found an extremely dirty engine for the low mileage I had,and a mechanic told me that the likely cause of the problem of all warning signals could have been caused by an overfill when they changed the oil...I could tell you more by email.What happened to your Jeep repairs until now?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Chrysler 300C CRD srt
EGR problem I think, had it on my 300C chrysler (same engine) also
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
This engine was only sold in Jeeps for a couple years and in small quantities and there is very little incentive for Jeep dealers to have skilled techs familiar with them. Mercedes dealers won't touch them. I'd advise not owning one.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:46 AM

Chrysler 300C CRD srt
Originally Posted by lkchris
This engine was only sold in Jeeps for a couple years and in small quantities and there is very little incentive for Jeep dealers to have skilled techs familiar with them. Mercedes dealers won't touch them. I'd advise not owning one.
Please get your facts straight ...

I was an independent product trainer for chrysler europe from 07 to 09.
In europe the OM642 or v6 320CDI was sold from 06 to last productions in jeep commander, grand cherokee & 300c sedan&touring.
The 300c touring was the Dodge Magnum with 300C front.
Production was in austria in gratz in the puch factory.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

2006 E320 CDI

Jeeps only used diesels for 4 years in the USA, 05-06 VM Motori and 07-08 Mercedes.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:03 AM

Chrysler 300C CRD srt
Originally Posted by Cran

Jeeps only used diesels for 4 years in the USA, 05-06 VM Motori and 07-08 Mercedes.
you know everything

read maybe the first post... I see now, you are the 240D troll again

Last edited by diesel2fast4u; 09-19-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: found the troll
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Fwb

Grand Cherokee
2007 grand Cherokee diesel throttle warning light

I am having problems with the electronic throttle. Has anyone had success with a Mercedes dealer servicing their Grand Cherokee diesel? Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
I have not had any luck with dealers servicing the om642 engine in my area.

So I perform all my own maintenance and repair. I use Auto Enginuity to perform all diagnostic trouble shooting. I also purchased a dealer service manual for repairs.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM

W209 320 CDI V6; W210 320 CDI I6
Maybe you could use this after fix the problem:
https://mbworld.org/forums/diesel-fo...-r-glk-v6.html
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Very nice job!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 PM

cherokee
so has anyone out there managed to solve the problem of the light for the throttle control coming on and the bad running of the engine, lots of people seem to have had the problem but no one says how to repair it or what the cause is, is there any help out there?

Trevor Gee in Wales
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM

W209 320 CDI V6; W210 320 CDI I6
Hello, the problem is the hot oil that fall in the electronic controller of the inlet air motor. The foil of metal can avoid the drop of oil in the electronic part.
Best
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM

cherokee
Smile 2007 Jeep Cherokee 2.8 Merc. Diesel Engine>

Originally Posted by trevor gee
so has anyone out there managed to solve the problem of the light for the throttle control coming on and the bad running of the engine, lots of people seem to have had the problem but no one says how to repair it or what the cause is, is there any help out there?

Trevor Gee in Wales
i have solved the problem with the electronic throttle light (lightening bolt in brackets) the problem is definitely the EGR Valve on the inlet manifold, this is bolted onto the air inlet manifold, there is a butterfly valve inside the housing operated by a small servo (motor) remove the valve off the manifold, remove the air hose, disconnect the switch, then thoroughly clean the inside of the valve with carb. cleaner (a build up of dirt restricts the valve opening, causing the light to come on) replace all parts on the manifold and check. The light should be out.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 PM

2007 jeep grand cherokee diesell
I am currently having the same problem,you emailmethe answer can
Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM

2007 compass
Hi diesel need some help have a 2007 compass diesel and the plastic cogs have stripped out on the throttle body sensor do you know where I can source as genuine is 1200$ is abit to much cheers phill
Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 PM

2007 Jeep GC Ltd
2007 Jeep GC CRD issues

I am having similar issues with the ETC and Check Engine lights on my Jeep with only 132000 km. Two separate Chrysler dealers have diagnosed it as a turbo problem, replacement cost for this part is $7500! I can get it much cheaper on eBay if I proceed with this. Was your problem solved with turbo replacement?
Old 09-01-2014, 02:52 AM

2007 compass
Originally Posted by lornewest
I am having similar issues with the ETC and Check Engine lights on my Jeep with only 132000 km. Two separate Chrysler dealers have diagnosed it as a turbo problem, replacement cost for this part is $7500! I can get it much cheaper on eBay if I proceed with this. Was your problem solved with turbo replacement?
HI TREVOR THE SMALL SERVO MOTOR HAS PLASTIC GEARS ON THE BACK THIS IS ALL STRIPPED OUT DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN SOURCE 1 THANKS PHILL IN AUSSIE
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 AM

2007 compass
Lornewest my turbo is fine its not the problem
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by gnome
Hi diesel need some help have a 2007 compass diesel and the plastic cogs have stripped out on the throttle body sensor do you know where I can source as genuine is 1200$ is abit to much cheers phill
The compass did not have the MB diesel.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI

Find a GOOD Independent MB shop (or maybe a Sprinter Shop).
I have heard from many that the Chrysler shops don't know how to fix them, and the MB shops don't like (or won't) touch them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electronic throttle issues in Jeep CRD 3.0L diesel engine made by Mercedes