Sponsored by:

Just Bought E320 CDI Bluetec

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Smile Just Bought E320 CDI Bluetec

Hello To All .... just joined MBWorld, and have just bought a 2007 E320 CDI Bluetec. Read lots of opinions on the I-6 vs V-6 diesel thing, here in MBWorld Forums.... but found an impeccable one, with 54,000 miles. At 67, I just semi-retired, and bought E320 as second car ( for travel ) to 2001 Volvo wagen ( with 150,000 miles ). THAT car ( with turbo ) still has almost brand new compression thanx to pure synthetic lubricant in oil pan

Anybody out there with real world experience owning/operating a Bluetec? Am intending to become crusty old codger with this car over next 20 yrs ... will drive it like 5,000 - 7,500 miles per yr. Hoping for good luck with the following ...... any reliability / actual personal experience advice from any of U??? , on

>> Ceramic exhaust soot filter
>> VNT turbo
>> catalytic converter and SCR units
>> engine, itself

LOOKING FORWARD TO COMMUNICATING WITH ALL OF U IN THE OIL HEAD COMMUNITY.

Ciao for Now
Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Good on ya no fool in,

Hope you get the answers your want. Sounds a nice car , not run in yet.

I have owned diesel cars now for 17 years & my thinking is to change the oil & filter more regularly than suggested, Also the coolant , power steering oil , auto gearbox oil & air filter. Fuel filter change at recommended mileage.

I reckon clean & good quality fuel is essential . I always carry a clean rag in the boot to wipe the nozzle of the pump before refilling. You would be surprised at how much dirt it removes. Dust seems to stick to the diesel nozzle.

I think it is also madness to flog a diesel eg heavy acceleration & high revs. I like to sit mine on or around the max torque ( 2000 RPM ) for relaxed & economical motoring.

I have a question for you. I understood the USA MB did not import diesels ?.

Good luck with it.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 AM

2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Smile Howdy Mate

Hey Carsy, thanx for getting back with me. Still lookin for input from others with Bluetec It'll take a little while.

4 hours north of Sydney ?? ... how close are you to the Lightning Ridge opal mines. I lived in your great country for 14 months back in 1971 - 1972.....not far from Sydney Harbor Bridge across the river from downtown. Near the zoo.

Yes, yes, yes, I sure do agree about changing oil/filter, etc more frequently. In long run ( gas or diesel ) makes it a LOT easier to see 200,000 miles (+). Paper towels ( in car ) to be thrown out at petrol station instead of a rag to wipe filler nozzle...diesel still smells to strong to float the rag in car.

I used to do 115 mph - 125 mph ( early morning ) going down San Diego Freeway from Los Angeles, to San Diego, especially through a big ( 18 mile stretch ) of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, and other "favorite" places north of LA. Got many, many tickets, but never over 100 mph ( U lose your license in California for over 100 mph ). Now, with age, I drive a lot more relaxed. Yeah, low rpm torque and long gearing

In 1980's, about 80% of all M-B's sold in USA were diesel ... many. many 300TD's of all sorts were sold, as well as 400 series. M-B dropped diesels from USA in late 1990's, when gasoline got very cheap ( OPEC was selling oil for ( US ) $10 -$12 per barrel. M-B got back into USA delivered diesels about 2004, with nice 3.2 liter I-6, called E320 CDI....replaced with the 3.0 liter clean diesel system V-6 in late 2006 ( as 2007 model ). Wow, exhaust system is mighty complicated ...

Fair Dinkum .... Stay Well Mate
Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We are on the coast , a long way from Walget & Lightning Ridge. I stayed in the Diggers Rest Pub with 2 other mates for 2 weeks after leaving school at 16. We each found about 30 pounds $ of stone so payed for the room !! It was a great eye opener , drinking schooners , smoking camels & hearing all the miners stories in the bar.

Keeping a diesel rag in the boot discourages the rats !!

Thanks for the MB diesel history.

No Worries Mate,

John.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by NoFoolyn
I used to do 115 mph - 125 mph ( early morning ) going down San Diego Freeway from Los Angeles, to San Diego, especially through a big ( 18 mile stretch ) of Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base, and other "favorite" places north of LA. Got many, many tickets....

So that was *you* who passed me on Rt 9 across from the "Collection" (what a stupid name for a mall)! Good thing the Natick Police Dept was on their midmorning coffee break..otherwise you would have been ticketed *again*. I know Framingham well...used to live there and my brother lived there for 30+ years.

Regarding diesels.....I'm currently on my second one but haven't run up many miles on either (30K and 4K...so far).Most of my miles are Interstate miles which are the easiest ones on diesels *and* the ones in which they shine brightest.I change my oil twice as often as recommended by the manufacturer largely because I,like you,plan to grow old with this,my dream car.Assuming this is your first diesel one thing to keep in mind during cold weather is to use locally blended fuel.Don't fill up in North Carolina in January and,driving north on 95,and wait until New Jersey to fill up again.That's an invitation to "fuel gelling" which could cause your car not to start...or....even cause it to stop while in motion.

Haven't had any serious probs with either of mine.The DEF system on my BMW malfunctioned at about 3K miles but that shouldn't affect you because your E320 doesn't use DEF...I think.As you know diesels,in general,have a reputation for being bulletproof.I keep reading that they're barely broken in at 200,000 miles so you're likely to be OK,reliability-wise.

I loved/love both my diesels...I'll never drive anything else from now on.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by Carsy
I have a question for you. I understood the USA MB did not import diesels ?
That's not true today.From NoFoolyn's post it appears to have been the case for a while but today they import a passenger sedan (the one I drive),two SUV's and one van...and will be bringing an S Class diesel to North America later this summer.That S Class will be my next ride if I ever win Powerball but I never buy tickets,so....

Here in the US Mercedes has been well known for years for their diesels.We recall the lumbering slugs of the 80's belching their black smoke and trying to get past them so we could arrive at our destinations in the same millenium (we have similar memories of certain Volvos).
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG, Porsche 911, Toyota Prius, Acura Legend, BMW K1200RS
Listerone,

I noticed that you went from an '09 BMW 335d to the E350 BlueTEC. I am currently looking into both of those models (for 2012) and am favoring the E350 but still struggling with the choice. I'd really appreciate your thoughts into why you changed from the 335d in just 2 years. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by 911K12
Listerone,

I noticed that you went from an '09 BMW 335d to the E350 BlueTEC. I am currently looking into both of those models (for 2012) and am favoring the E350 but still struggling with the choice. I'd really appreciate your thoughts into why you changed from the 335d in just 2 years. Thanks.
IMO they're two entirely different beasts which both do what they're designed to do very well indeed:

Advantage...Bluetec---> (Far) more rear seat room,more luxurious feel,HarmonKardon sound system excellent,brakes far less "touchy",highway mileage outstanding for a vehicle that size,etc.

Advantage..."d"--->Accelerator more "zippy",better road feel (steering wheel feedback),standard seats more comfortable on long drives (for me,at least),better instrument cluster display,(much) easier loading of MP3's onto the hard drive,started once on a -31F morning (swear to God!),etc

IMO,you can't go wrong with either vehicle.I traded mainly for the rear seat room (very important in my circumstances) and for the added luxury.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by 911K12
Listerone,

A couple of things I forgot to mention...1) the "Distronic" feature on the Benz was a *very* important selling point for me.The 5 Series offers some of the features included in Distronic but lacks the ability to apply the brakes fully in an emergency situation.Having worked for 20 years in an ER makes something like that of vital importance to me.

And a last point....when the new 5 Series (the F10) came out last year I took one for a spin and *loved* it.There were rumors of a diesel version coming here so I waited...and waited...and waited.But nothing happened.If a diesel F10 was available here I'd be driving one but,alas...

If,by chance,you're new to diesels I only have one bit of advice...DO IT.Pay no attention to the nay-sayers...they know not what they're saying! BMW and Mercedes both make *outstanding* diesels today.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM
GSD

2007 ML320CDI 2004 Jetta TDI
I think it is also madness to flog a diesel eg heavy acceleration & high revs. I like to sit mine on or around the max torque ( 2000 RPM ) for relaxed & economical motoring.
Every once in awhile it makes sense to give some throttle to clear out the soot and carbon build up aka Italian Tune Up in a Diesel
Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 PM

E63 AMG, Porsche 911, Toyota Prius, Acura Legend, BMW K1200RS
Originally Posted by listerone
A couple of things I forgot to mention...1) the "Distronic" feature on the Benz was a *very* important selling point for me.The 5 Series offers some of the features included in Distronic but lacks the ability to apply the brakes fully in an emergency situation.Having worked for 20 years in an ER makes something like that of vital importance to me.

And a last point....when the new 5 Series (the F10) came out last year I took one for a spin and *loved* it.There were rumors of a diesel version coming here so I waited...and waited...and waited.But nothing happened.If a diesel F10 was available here I'd be driving one but,alas...

If,by chance,you're new to diesels I only have one bit of advice...DO IT.Pay no attention to the nay-sayers...they know not what they're saying! BMW and Mercedes both make *outstanding* diesels today.
Thanks for the very informative feedback. I agree with you on the 5 series - I would have preferred that over the 3. The car is for my wife, and yes we're new to diesels but like the efficiency.

Back in '08 I'd promised her a vacation combined with the European delivery of an E320 diesel. But alas, when I went in to test drive the diesel at the local dealership, they had an E63AMG and asked me if I wanted to take it for a spin. Needless to say, I drove off with the AMG and had a lot of explaining to do to my wife (but I survived!).

Long story short - I've since traded the AMG in on a Panamera Turbo but I still owe my wife a make up for the aborted trip. I'm looking at a spring pick up, so without a 5 series diesel, I think the E350 will be the better choice. Again, thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
I have owned many diesel vehicles. I would certainly not "baby" one. the torque band is almost flat from 2000-4000 RPM. There is nothing wrong with winding it out once and a while. I am at 20K miles on my 2011 E350 Bluetec, I am regularly getting 40+ mpg on the highway, and 30 around town. The engine "likes" to work. It is a diesel after all.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 AM

2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
NOFOOLYN Is Back Again

I'm the guy who started this thread and am still looking for answers.

To wit, the car I bought was "illegal" for new car sale in Massachsetts in 2007. Was a 45 state car, E320 Bluetec could not be sold in CA, MA, NY, VT or Maine due to not meeting the VERY strict CARB emissions tests in CA. So an M-B dealer must have snuck one in .... even the first maint book signoff by M-B dealer is not filled in. There are no maint records, except for M-B USA records showing a couple of factory recalls, and an O2 sensor and trans service being done at 43K miles ( was due at 40K). The pre-purchase inspection I had done by M-B dealer did all the safety points and computer dianostics checked, but did not include taking brake fluid samples, checking fuel filter, removing engine air filter, etc. > NUTS !!

So I'm gonna spend about $1K to have the dealer do lots of minor maint items, like all the filters, the oil, etc. Then monitor the engine ( oil consumption ) and see if i can figure out how to do an engine compression test to see where we are at 54,000 miles. The dealer said they could not do this. YEAH ... I'm **** ... the Volvo V-40 wagon I have has 150,000 miles with almost brand new compression ( thanks to Castrol 5W-50 Syntec, full synthetic changed every 5K miles ). I guess if oil use starts going up,that'll give me the signal... I'll swap the 2007 E Class for a newer M-B ( BUT I REALLY WANT TO DO DIESEL TO BE AN ICONOCLAST ).

BUT, based on the fact that this guy went OUT OF HIS WAY to get this car, and it's impeccible physical appearance you would think the maint must have been done ( maybe by less expensive shop, or by the guy himself). WOW, getting M-B recommended Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 oil is tough here .... the Mobil website has no one selling it within 100 miles of my house. The web shows stores in CA, etc having it .... so the price M-B wants to do oil change ain't all that bad. hah > $225 for oil filter ( fleece filter ) must be worth it's weight in gold ( using 1985 gold prices ). M-B jumps up and down about not using paper filter elements.... the fleece material must have better soot and ash retention

HAVE YOU SEEN THE YOU TUBE VIDEO of guy doing his own oil change, with Mobil 1 ESP DELVAC 5W-40? That's a heavy duty truck diesel oil, with different M-B oil spec than car diesel. May be a good idea, but not a GREAT idea ... Dunno.

I feel like a German bank executivve driving this thing. I don't speed much anymore ( last ticket 7 years ago .. SHUT UP AND DON'T BRAG STUPID ) so the slow starting pace of Blutec is no big deal to me. It feels like a properly designed Buick Roadmaster with good shock absorbers and properly designed handling.

I surprising how good the speed sensitive steering and handling are. Doing a quick SNAP lane change on Interstate at 70 mph is really impressive.

Yeah this is gonna be a car that's stored in garage in winter ... last winter here in Boston area was a BITC#.

C 'ya all later
Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No Foolyn,

Here are the MB Spec oils for diesels. You may be able to find a different brand with the same spec in your area. I buy Mobil 1 ESP 5 w 30 by the 20 litre drum & get 3 services out of it.Also bought a pack of 10 MB oil filters at a discount from the dealer.

MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long life
Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters, and gasoline engines, and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3.
Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40
Anglomoil RoadMaster 500 API SM 10W-40
Aral SuperTronic 229.51 0W-40 LOW SAPS
Aral SuperTronic Diesel 229.51 0W-40 LOW SAPS
Bizol New Generation SAE 5W-30 (added 09 July 2007)
Castrol EDGE Formula RS SAE 0W-40 (added 09 July 2007)
Castrol EDGE Turbodiesel SAE 0W-30 (added 09 July 2007)
Castrol Longtec Turbodiesel 0W-30 (229.51)
ELF Solaris LSX 5W-30
Fuchs TITAN GT1 229.51 SAE 5W-30 (first fill oil in OM 642)
megol Motorenoel New Generation SAE 5W-30
Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 (to become available in the USA on 15 May 2006)
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 Emission System Protection (Europe, from December 2005)
OMV BIXXOL special C3 SAE 5W-30 (added 09 July 2007)
Shell Helix Ultra AX 5W-30 Mercedes 229.51
Sunoco Synturo Xenon SAE 5W30 (added 09 July 2007)
Valvoline SynPower MST 5W-30 229.51 (added 01 June 2006)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 BMW 540d
I'm the guy who started this thread and am still looking for answers.

To wit, the car I bought was "illegal" for new car sale in Massachsetts in 2007. Was a 45 state car, E320 Bluetec could not be sold in CA, MA, NY, VT or Maine due to not meeting the VERY strict CARB emissions tests in CA.
I test drove a used E320 CDI at a dealership in CT a few years back (I was living in MA at the time) and was told that registering it in MA would be difficult but there was some kind of loophole to get it done.Can't recall the details.

WOW, getting M-B recommended Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 oil is tough here .... the Mobil website has no one selling it within 100 miles of my house. The web shows stores in CA, etc having it .... so the price M-B wants to do oil change ain't all that bad.
A few months ago I bought 8 (or 9,can't recall) quarts of ESP 5W-40 at a Pep Boys in Springfield,MA for about $7/quart (on sale).With the prices you can get on the web (www.germanfilters.com,for example) for 229.51 Spec oil and Mann filters you can change your own oil for about $60.Given that the filter is right up on top changing it with an oil extractor would be a piece of cake...although I haven't tried it yet on my Bluetec.

Last edited by listerone; 08-10-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:48 PM

2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Thanks Guys

Nice surprise to hear from Carsy ( Howdy mate ) and the Listerone in the Nutmeg State ( ie Connecticut ).

(1) Thank U Carsy .... good news that so many more oils meet the M-B spec 229.51. I'll check it out. I saw a FLEECE filter for M-B (Fram brand ) listed on website site oil seller, for $11. I have to go to M-B dealer to buy new M-B floor mats, tomorrow, so I'll ask 'em what they get for Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40, and the oil burner fleece oil filter.

(2) Thank U Listerone for the Springfield, MA, info. That's a cheaper price than what the website sellers want ($7.35/qt for a case of 12 ) PLUS shipping...from California. YES 2007 E320 CDI Bluetec can legally be sold in MA....as a USED car...with min of 7500 miles. GO FIGURE. So, I'll be legal. But is strange to have a car that even the new car selling dealer does not want to admit to Fancy M-B with total bland maintenance book.

>> I bought the car to make up for forced sale of two BMW motorcycles ( I broke my back 3 months ago due to unknwon bone issues in spine). BMW charged me $400 to flush and refill anti-lock brake systems on the R1150RT ( 2 hrs labor ) and that was Strike 2. My back made Strike 3, so the bikes both go ( to Georgia ) on 18 AUG >> nice guy is coming up here to get 'em (for Carsy, that's 980 miles each way ).

So YUP, $225 for oil filter change is what M-B charges "rich" clientle.

Thanks to guys like U, I'll learn real quick. Like do as much work on car as I can....I love it.

U WANNA HEAR A FUNNY?? .... I paid for the car, but I still don't have it *&^^%$#&^ The VW dealer I bought from is still waiting for a clean State of Massachusetts Title, so they can formally transfer the car to me. I paid cash for the car. But with ECONOMIC AUSTERITY in State budget, so many peoole got laid off at Dept of Motor Vehicles, that it can take 3+ weeks for them to do paperwork. Since dealer started his paperwork two weeks ago, maybe we're getting close. I WANT MY CAR .. I have read all ~~ 700 pages ~~ of all the owners manuals. I go look at the car every other day

Stay Well, Gentlemen .... I love Carsy's comment about leaving a diesel oil smelly rag in the trunk ( er boot ) to keep the rats away. Here in Framingham, MA, we have too may flippin chipmunks...I'' stuff some diesel rags into their holes in my abck lawn.

~~ gene ~~
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 PM

2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Smile OK, I Am Now Officially One Of You All

Finally got the E320 Bluetec this afternoon. Yes, I really do like, and am duly impressed.

On undulating 2 lane Massacusetts country roads ( 45 mph - 70 ) speed sensitive steering ratio makes a huge difference, On sweeping curves and quick left rights, it feels like the car is 95% neutral with 5% bias to oversteer. VERY NICE. Never thought a diesel bus could handle so nicely.

BIG difference compared to the 1970's and '80's big 300SD Turbodiesels. They were truck like, this one is smooth, stable and nimble. I am GLAD I bought the M-B. And I like the slight diesel noise at slow speeds. I'm gonna like this.

What else is impressive ?? ... The comparison test >> On 12 miles drive using same road ( 55 mph - 60 mph ) where my little low pressure turbo Volvo V-40 wagon ( 1.9 liter ) gets 36 mpg, the M-B just got 40.5 mpg.

As the actor Claude Raines said to Humphrey Bogart in 1940 movie ( Casablanca ) ... "" I think this is going to be the start of a beautiful relationship"".

Glad to join all you guys ... now I am official

~~ Stay Well To All ~~
Old 08-12-2011, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well done. Hope you have many years of pleasure from your rattler.

I too like the "diesel" throb at low speeds, unlike a sewing machine.

I am intending to pass ours on the the grandchildren when we have fallen of the perch.

Until then Iminpa & GSD .... no heavy acceleration or high revs !!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4Matic, Diamond White, P2
Hope you have many years of enjoyment. Really, do not baby it the way you would a gas engine. Treat it like a the rugged diesel it is and it will reward you with long service.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My little 2.1 L turbo peaks torque at 2000 rpm. That is a little over 110 kph in top gear which is the maximum speed limit in this country. " Not Baby "ing it will soon see you part with your licence here. To purpusefully flog it I would have to run around in 4th!

Heavy accelleration creates more unburntfuel/carbon to collect in the particulate filter creating more regenerations & shortening its life.Cat convertors life will also be shortened being coated with unburnt fuel.

High loads & high revs creates higher exhaust gas temperatures & shortening the life of valves & piston tops.

High loads & high revs create higher combustion pressures creating more piston blowby hence piston ring wear & valve surface wear.

I keep my cars for about 15 years & pass them on to my kids for another 15 . My method has worked so far !
Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Well done. Hope you have many years of pleasure from your rattler.

I too like the "diesel" throb at low speeds, unlike a sewing machine.

I am intending to pass ours on the the grandchildren when we have fallen of the perch.

Until then Iminpa & GSD .... no heavy acceleration or high revs !!
Did you mean driving the old Benzo diesel engine like a taxi and it will live forever?
Old 08-15-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by ImInPA
Hope you have many years of enjoyment. Really, do not baby it the way you would a gas engine. Treat it like a the rugged diesel it is and it will reward you with long service.
I must say that every now and then over the weekend mornings, when the cops are still eating their donuts and drinking coffee in their cruisers I do hammer down the highways at 100 mph bursts to clear out the injectors.

This cannot be harmful. In Germany they do it hours on end at 200 kph or 120 mph!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Nice To Hear From U

YY..EE..SS Am happier than ever that I bought this high end cruiser bus.....I LOVE the small stuff ... like European parking lights ( either left or right hand parking lights can be turned on). GOOD, the flipping chipmunks that get into my garage before I close the door at night won't lose their orientation. I have to keep the little *******s from getting up under the hood with their flippin nuts...the stuff falls out from everywhere. Maybe I'll sprinkle some coyote urine around the front end of car ...that could be joyous aroma in closed garage ..

OH YEAH .... i ran the Bluetec in closed garage to see what the exhaust smell was like. There was NONE....much less odor than gasoline engine. Who would'a thought this to be true !!

CARSY: Howdy Mate: Speed limits here are generally 65 mph on major highways ... 70 - 72 is OK with local constabulary, as long as you behave yourself, or as long as their not in a sh!##y mood. My goal is to sail past 200K miles, eventually, and have the car still looking ( almost ) like new. I have already started this, with stripping all the old wax/polymers off, and starting anew with (eventually ) 4 coats of yellow carnauba wax, then overlay with 2 coats of polymer. I used to help prepare cars for the biggest CLASSIC car show in USA ... like $2 - 3 million cars at Pebble Beach Concours, Monterey, CA evey August, so I know the routine. I'll wax under the hood ( er bonnet to you ), but I am not taking toothbrushes to the wheel wells. STAY WELL MATE

ImInPA: I was really lucky to get a car in such remarkable condition from VW dealer. They did nice job prepping the car, but used wrong oil in oil change. They used a Castrol SynTec 5W-40 that meets MB 229.3 spec....that's for cars without the ceramic soot filter. Castrol only has 250 miles on it, so likely no big deal. After the M-B dealer puts Mobil1 ESP M5W-40 ( MB229.51 ) in this FRI, I'll get on it a bit. A local 9 mile run in between exits on Massachusetts Turnpike is good place to see over 100 mph. My neighbor showed me 175 mph in his twin turbo Porsche over this run 2 years ago.

Harkgar: U guys are nuts up there in Canada. I drove from Niagara Falls to Toronto about 2 years ago on main super highway ( ?? Route 401, or 410 ). The speed limit said ( what as I rememebr ) 60 mph near Niagara Falls. EVERYBODY went blowing by me, I went to 90 mph, then saw a cop under a bridge.. Oh What The Hell...I was in the middle of a 7 car pack, and he did nothing.

On the way back, I was doing 95 mph in fast lane and a plumbers truck ( big van with ladders on top ) came up along side me at 95.5 mph, and he eventually went past me. Trucks with 6 axles were doing 90 mph......I'd think a cop would pull U over at 85 mph for impeding traffic. You all must have some joyous accidents, when they happen ... kinda like the jaw dropping events on Autobahn when the RARELY occur

Stay Well To All .......
Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
OH YEAH .... i ran the Bluetec in closed garage to see what the exhaust smell was like. There was NONE....much less odor than gasoline engine. Who would'a thought this to be true !!
Kind of what mandatory diesel particulate filters are all about.

Had this been an '05-'06 E320CDI, you'd have choked.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
They used a Castrol SynTec 5W-40 that meets MB 229.3 spec....that's for cars without the ceramic soot filter. Castrol only has 250 miles on it, so likely no big deal.
This specification is ONLY about avoiding damaging the diesel particulate filter.

Mercedes says to not even add a quart between oil changes of anything else. So, if that's a big deal, perhaps a whole crankcase full is an even bigger deal.

VW dealers should know about this, but if you visit the TDI forum you'll read almost unanimous consensus that VW dealers are incompetent when it comes to diesel service.

Last edited by lkchris; 08-15-2011 at 11:35 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Bought E320 CDI Bluetec