Sponsored by:

Does the Bluetec have an Oil Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG, Porsche 911, Toyota Prius, Acura Legend, BMW K1200RS
Does the Bluetec have an Oil Dipstick?

Many cars today have done away with engine oil dipsticks (especially Porsche) and rely on electronic monitoring. I prefer the old fashion way - of checking the oil manually.

I've been looking at the E320 Bluetecs but the only dipstick I could see is at the back of the engine (driver's side). I think that's for the transmission. The salesman told me that the oil is monitored via the dash. When I asked for a demonstration, he could not show me. So, I ask - does it have a dipstick for the engine?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
I Have Same Question

I bought a 54K mile, '07 E320 Bluetec 3 weeks ago. I have same issue. I looked at the line that runs from the drivers side "level dipstick" and with the bends and twists it looked more like a transmission oil level indicator. I started pulling the orange/red cap up and out, found it very stiff to pull, and when it got slightly exposed, i saw a heavy twisted cable underneath the cap. I said " don't screw with it" and put it back.

The owners manual is based on gasoline engine ( with conventional dip stick back in passenger side firewall area ). The manual also says the trans is sealed, and does not have dipstick. So ?? that must be the engine oil "dipstick". The manual does not say anything about remote control oil level indication.

I'll have an answer soon ... Not many people ( outside MB dealers ) know much about the V-6 powered car.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Mine does....but I can't vouch for all Mercedes diesels.However,my hunch is that they all do.And BTW...my dipstick is located at the back of the engine,driver's side.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Originally Posted by NoFoolyn
I started pulling the orange/red cap up and out, found it very stiff to pull, and when it got slightly exposed, i saw a heavy twisted cable underneath the cap. I said " don't screw with it" and put it back.
I'll wager (but am not 100% certain) that you're talking about the dipstick.Mine is exactly the same...orange/red cap....rather hard to pull out (smoothly,at least).....cable-like rod portion.I say...give the damn thing a good pull and see what happens.And if I'm wrong don't send me any $2,000 repair bills!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM

2007 E320 Bluetec, 2007 ML320CDI
yes, the V-6 Bluetec has a dipstick, it has a red tip on it
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E320 CDI Bluetec
Vhere's My Dipschtick

Dipwit ( me ) ain't totally used to MB engineering philosophy. Sounds like all of us ( hello again Listerone ) are still a bit unsure about what's what.

I am stopping by the local MB dealer on TUES, I'll ask the diesel guy there ,and get back to you all. Weird set up .... pushing the twisted cable thing back in is like trying to push on a rope. That just seems illogical.

Also seeing MB dealer about 7G-Tronic trans that seems to have same control mode in both C and S ( comfort & sport settings ) with always first gear start ( like S ) and rapid upshifting thru gears even when accelerating moderately hard ( like C setting ). 1-2 gear change is like mayonaisse ( and quite a long transition ) at the same time ,while the 2-3, 3-4 shifts are a bit crisper and quicker but still smooth.

Stay Well .... will get "the official answer" to all this, as the owners manual indicates Bluetec has oil dipstick in same relative location as the gasoline engine. There "ain't nothing there" on back left of engine in front of passenger footwell, like on normal E350.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 PM

E63 AMG, Porsche 911, Toyota Prius, Acura Legend, BMW K1200RS
Thanks for all the informative responses. Another aggravating case of an inept salesman who didn't do his homework!