Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL ADDING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB E320 BlueTec. 2011 Porsche Boxster 987. 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport MT, 1995 BMW K75 motorcycle
OIL ADDING PROBLEM

After I drained the old oil out of my 2008 E320 BlueTec yesterday (the old way by removing the drain plug) I had replaced the plug and removed the filter. Before replacing the filter I did what I always do namely pour the fresh oil into the wide openining where the filter goes, as this way it goes a bit faster.
To my surprise the new oil went down very slowly like a stopped up drain. I took off the oil filler cap thinking there might be some trapped air issue, however, there was no change.
As the flow did not improve I added the oil through the oil filler tube and no further problems were encountered.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what probably happened here? I would sure like to know. Many thanks!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GL 350 Bluetec
That happened to me once when I changed the oil on my 2009 ML 320 BT. I, too, thought the oil should just go right in the oil filter housing. (I removed the oil using a vacuum pump through the oil dipstick tube.) It took longer as well. I used the filler tube to speed things up ( the adding of the 9 plus qts.) It was one of those mysteries that I just let go. The car runs fine and no other problems.