Oil is Midnight Black at 3500 miles. Is this normal? MLDiesel'12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300D Turbo 1984
Oil is Midnight Black at 3500 miles. Is this normal? MLDiesel'12

2012 ML350 Diesel

Figured I spent so much on this vehicle, I might as well check the oil level. Well this is what I found: midnight black oil. I have a 300DTurbo from 1984 and I had grown to expect "black" oil from "old" diesel engines.

I was expecting something a LOT cleaner from this vehicle. The nice amber colored oil that is seen in gasoline engines perhaps? Was hoping the new diesel design may have fixed the "black" oil issue. Please do share your experiences. Below is the dipstick @ 3500 miles.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well I hate to burst your bubble, but you drive a diesel and the oil will be jet black. Nature of the beast.

The key is the quality of the oil and if you are suspicious of that you can always have the oil tested. However my bet is that you will be pleased with the test results.

Next time you change the oil, check the color after 100 miles. Good Luck!!
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
Normal. It's supposed to be due to the EGR or something. Usually black by 50 miles, but no dirt feeling if you rub between your fingers.
Enjoy your ride.
At least you are checking the oil.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by Plutoe
you will be pleased with the test results. Next time you change the oil, check the color after 100 miles.
Originally Posted by dgiturbo
Normal. ...
At least you are checking the oil.
Thanks for the input. I was expecting the nice amber color. But non-the-less thank you.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Banned

1985 300DT
Diesel oil will NEVER be amber. Modern diesels pollute their oil far faster than old ones because of how much harder they have to work (Horsepower per liter) and because of how harmful the exhaust emissions controls are to the engine.
They have very high exhaust recirculation rates which will dump soot into the oil (turning it black) and burning out the exhaust filter causes fuel to wash into the oil (making the oil smell like diesel).

The best things to keep the oil clean are to first delete the EGR and DPF, then add an external bypass oil filter to help remove soot from the oil.

Last edited by Whargoul; 05-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:49 AM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by Whargoul
The best things to keep the oil clean are to first delete the EGR and DPF, then add an external bypass oil filter to help remove soot from the oil.
Thanks for the info. Is this logical or recommended? MB likely went through a lot of work to add those systems to the diesel.

Have you tried those modifications? If so, any good results?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

1985 300DT
Its logical and recommended for all diesels. Both significantly increase fuel consumption, engine stress and heat with no benefits.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E300
Black oil means the soot is in suspension, and that is a good thing (you don't want it settling on bearing surfaces)

I hope you're not seriously considering modifying a 2012 diesel...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM

98 E300
Its logical and recommended for all diesels. Both significantly increase fuel consumption, engine stress and heat with no benefits.
no benefits?
what about emissions?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM

2006 E320CDI
Benefits are lower emissions and that is why they are required by law. Disable at your own risk.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM

98 E300
Diesel oil will NEVER be amber. Modern diesels pollute their oil far faster than old ones because of how much harder they have to work (Horsepower per liter) and because of how harmful the exhaust emissions controls are to the engine.
They have very high exhaust recirculation rates which will dump soot into the oil (turning it black) and burning out the exhaust filter causes fuel to wash into the oil (making the oil smell like diesel).

Whargoul, you seem a bit conflicted from what you posted in another thread earlier today:
They (diesel emissions systems) are excluded from compliance testing, but they are not excluded from US law. Altering the emissions system is illegal in all 50 states.
Clearly you've never works with a computerized engine before.

Emptying the DPF will create an expansion chamber that will cause high exhaust backpressure. It will also cause differential pressure readings too low in the pressure sensors. Both of which will reduce engine power.

Unplugging the EGR and/or MAF will cause the engine to go into limp mode.
Can you explain this apparent contradiction in your advice?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by mi benz
x2
Not until I hit 125K/7 yrs.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 BMW 540d
Jet black is normal at 500 miles,let alone 3500.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM

2006 E320CDI
Every MB Diesel that I have owned has had black oil from several miles after an oil change. The oldest one was a 1964 190D and from there I have had 72 220D and 75 300D, 81 300D, 81 300SD on through the current 06 E320CDI. The oil in all was black and I think you can deduct the many were not what would be considered modern diesels equipped with EGRs and DPFs.

All of these cars have progressively gotten better mileage from model to model over the years with the best being the newest MODERN engine with EGR and other controls for reduction of tailpipe emissions.

We can ***** about the new emissions requirements to hell freezes over and it will not change. I actually kinda like the cleaner air and not having to smell the emissions that were common in the 50s thru the 80s.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 PM

300D Turbo 1984
Originally Posted by edwinwalke
I actually kinda like the cleaner air and not having to smell the emissions that were common in the 50s thru the 80s.

I agree with everything you've said except for the quoted text. I trully enjoy thick diesel exhaust and the plume of smoke that spews from the tail pipe when trying to get onto the highway.

1984 gets 34 MPG & 0-60 32 seconds (downhill)
2012 gets 24 MPG & 0-60 10 seconds (1000 lbs heavier)
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 AM

98 E300
Originally Posted by 300DTurbo
1984 gets 34 MPG & 0-60 32 seconds (downhill)
2012 gets 24 MPG & 0-60 10 seconds (1000 lbs heavier)
Don't forget that the 2012 is AWD too.
fueleconomy.gov shows both cars getting 22 mpg combined. Maybe when your 2012 gets well broken in like the 1984 it will get incredible fuel economy too
Old 05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
no benefits?
what about emissions?
The amount of NOx from diesel engines was been proven to be of minimal impact on the environment at 1998 emissions levels. CARB and the EPA were found to have manipulated data in order to justify cutting diesel emissions by 99% over 20 years for no good reason.

Soot is not harmful. It simply settles to the ground.

HC and CO emissions are what cause major health hazards, and diesels are naturally clean in both due to how lean they run.

CO2 is not a harmful to the environment in any way.

Why not? If he breaks something he will pay for it no matter if it happens tomorrow or in 10 years. Modifying the engine/vehicle will not void any warranties.
If he wants to file a warranty repair claim, it will be up to the dealer to prove the modification was at fault or contributed to the cause of the claim.
I suggest you read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Can you explain this apparent contradiction in your advice?
There is none. I have simply presented all the facts and its up to the individual to make a decision on what they want to do.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM

98 E300
The amount of NOx from diesel engines was been proven to be of minimal impact on the environment at 1998 emissions levels. CARB and the EPA were found to have manipulated data in order to justify cutting diesel emissions by 99% over 20 years for no good reason.

Soot is not harmful. It simply settles to the ground.
And why did the Europeans follow suit? It's not like they'd change their diesel emissions requirements just because the CARB and EPA decided that the emissions needed to be cleaned up "for no good reason". What with the miniscule diesel auto segment in N America.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:48 PM

98 E300
...Can you explain this apparent contradiction in your advice?
...There is none. I have simply presented all the facts and its up to the individual to make a decision on what they want to do.
That's not at all how it was presented. You recommeded completely contradictory actions in two different threads the same day.

Your starting to sound like our old banned member more and more...
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM

His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
...Soot is not harmful. It simply settles to the ground.

HC and CO emissions are what cause major health hazards, and diesels are naturally clean in both due to how lean they run.

CO2 is not a harmful to the environment in any way.

Why not? If he breaks something he will pay for it no matter if it happens tomorrow or in 10 years. Modifying the engine/vehicle will not void any warranties.
If he wants to file a warranty repair claim, it will be up to the dealer to prove the modification was at fault or contributed to the cause of the claim.
I suggest you read the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act of 1975...
None of this makes sense.

When the soot "settles to the ground", what do you think happens next? It goes in ground water? Transfers by contact to things we touch? You realize the chemical makeup of "soot" is toxic?

As for the emissions, what about the NOx?
Which reputable source did you get this from? Maybe there is a "good reason" for the DPF/EGR/DEF and all the other stuff they put on these cars? My CDI does not push ANY visible smoke out the tailpipes even under full throttle after 107000 miles. A clean diesel to me is a "good reason".

And if you think the Magnus Moss act will force Mercedes to honor a warranty on their engine after you delete the DPF or bypass the EGR, then go head and buy a new $58000 ML Bluetec, do to it what what you advised, then take it to ANY MB dealer and post to us what happens next. Even bring a copy of the Moss act with you.

And by the way, my engine oil have never had a diesel smell. Something to do with piezo injectors maybe?

Last edited by dgiturbo; 05-20-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thanks for the input. I was expecting the nice amber color. But non-the-less thank you.
Reality is a gas engine would be "similar"
Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 AM

2013 ML BLUETEC JULY 31
Thanks for the info. Is this logical or recommended? MB likely went through a lot of work to add those systems to the diesel.

Have you tried those modifications? If so, any good results?
HAHAHA go to jail directly to jail do not pass go do not collect $200 LOL
Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

1985 300DT
And why did the Europeans follow suit?
They are human too, equally susceptible to fear mongering and false information as Americans.

What with the miniscule diesel auto segment in N America.
America has a huge number of trucks that are in a dirtier category than cars. in order to bring down truck emissions they first have to cut car/light truck emissions.

That's not at all how it was presented.
I apologize if you have poor information retention and recollection skills.

You recommeded completely contradictory actions in two different threads the same day.
Sorry, that is false information.
Repeating myself, AGAIN, just for you, "I have simply presented all the facts and its up to the individual to make a decision on what they want to do."

Originally Posted by dgiturbo
When the soot "settles to the ground", what do you think happens next? It goes in ground water?
What do you think happens to industrial waste and reclaimed sewer water? They are far more harmful to groundwater than any vehicle emission and produce is massively higher quantities.

Soot is an extremely small portion of diesel exhaust. Per the 1994 emissions standard, maximum soot is 0.1gram per HP-hour. That means a 200hp engine is allowed to emit up to 20grams of soot per hour. If it were running dirty 24 hours per day, thats 1 pound of soot per day allowed.

Your argument is invalid. Diesel soot poses no threat to anyone or anything.

Transfers by contact to things we touch?
Answer, wipe off your dirty hands before you touch anything sensitive, like you're already supposed to.

You realize the chemical makeup of "soot" is toxic?
So is alcohol, but that doesn't stop millions of people from directly consuming it every day. Let me know the next time you go around licking diesel exhaust pipes.
Again, your argument is invalid.

As for the emissions, what about the NOx? Which reputable source did you get this from?
Science.

http://co2insanity.com/2010/10/07/ca...estimated-340/
http://cdtoa.org/news/carbnews/1278-...-bus-emissions
http://heartland.org/policy-document...el-regulations

Maybe there is a "good reason" for the DPF/EGR/DEF and all the other stuff they put on these cars?
Nope. The primary reason for a DPF is to make the exhaust look pretty to people's eyes.

A clean diesel to me is a "good reason".
All diesels are naturally clean when compared to similar power gasoline engines, especially during cold starts when emissions are highest.

And if you think the Magnus Moss act will force Mercedes to honor a warranty on their engine after you delete the DPF or bypass the EGR, then
I would be 100% correct because thousands of diesel pickup owners have already done it.

go head and buy a new $58000 ML Bluetec, do to it what what you advised, then take it to ANY MB dealer and post to us what happens next.
Take it there for WHAT? Instead of being just a flat out troll, try to open your tiny brain and understand the subject being discussed.

And by the way, my engine oil have never had a diesel smell. Something to do with piezo injectors maybe?
No.
Normal fuel contamination in the oil is entirely dependent on the number and manner of DPF regenerations. Your CDI does not have a DPF, therefore, your engine does not inject fuel into the exhaust and it doesn't wash into your oil.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
NakedApe,

are you still working at Western Freightways? That doesn't sound like an MB shop to me.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Was gonna reply to Whargoul, but I see the mods already caught up and as usual, banned again.
But just to indicate how inaccurate the reply was, let's start with the fact that my 07 ML CDI DOES have a DPF and per Mercedes and Startek, goes through regen cycles. I own the truck, been under it and touched the DPF. (Maybe even "licked it"?). The rest of the post is equally as incorrect.

When I post stuff, I post from verifiable and reputable facts. Not opinions or questionable websites or what "thousands of diesel pickup owners have already done".

Anyways, back to my alcohol consumption and unwiped dirty "soot" hands.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil is Midnight Black at 3500 miles. Is this normal? MLDiesel'12