Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension for E320 CDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension for E320 CDI

I'm new to the diesel forum, but also own a C55 so have been on MBWorld for a while. I bought a 2005 E320 CDI which was delivered yesterday from Florida (I live in Houston). I have a couple of questions about beefing up the suspension and such:

1. I 'd like to go to a larger rim size, but I'm curious if I'd take too much of a MPG hit on 18" and should go to 17" instead. Does anyone know if 17" wheels make a significant difference in handling from the stock 16", and how much MPG will suffer with 18" wheels?

2. Any suggestions on where to buy after market rims - preferably just the 17" or 18" version of the stock twin spoke rims?

3. If I go to larger rims, would I still need to change the shocks or does the increase in rim size fix the floaty feel of the suspension? If so would you recommend Koni FSDs over Bilsteins?

4. Anyone tried the sprint booster on the 320 CDI or is the Kleeman "box" thing that attaches to the ECU better because it does the same thing as SB plus adds real power?

5. The car has 47,700 miles but has not had tranny fluid change. Should I flush the fluid or is it too late, and how much will that cost at dealer's?

6. Any suggestion on a fuel/injector cleaner for the car?

Lots of questions! Thanks for any help in advance, and your patience.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Best to try the W211 forum.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
X350d GLE500e 2017, ML350 BlueTec 2012(sold), A200 2013, ML350CDI 2009(sold), Aston Martin DB7 2003
Re 6.

There has been a lot of chat on this subject and a lot of crap too.
But yours is the modern diesel engine running on modern fuel so the cleaners are a waste of money.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by iankayem
Best to try the W211 forum.
Thanks. Will do . . .
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by iankayem
Re 6.

There has been a lot of chat on this subject and a lot of crap too.
But yours is the modern diesel engine running on modern fuel so the cleaners are a waste of money.
Noted. Thanks much!
Old 06-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by X55 MGR
I'm new to the diesel forum, but also own a C55 so have been on MBWorld for a while. I bought a 2005 E320 CDI which was delivered yesterday from Florida (I live in Houston). I have a couple of questions about beefing up the suspension and such:

1. I 'd like to go to a larger rim size, but I'm curious if I'd take too much of a MPG hit on 18" and should go to 17" instead. Does anyone know if 17" wheels make a significant difference in handling from the stock 16", and how much MPG will suffer with 18" wheels?

2. Any suggestions on where to buy after market rims - preferably just the 17" or 18" version of the stock twin spoke rims?

3. If I go to larger rims, would I still need to change the shocks or does the increase in rim size fix the floaty feel of the suspension? If so would you recommend Koni FSDs over Bilsteins?

4. Anyone tried the sprint booster on the 320 CDI or is the Kleeman "box" thing that attaches to the ECU better because it does the same thing as SB plus adds real power?

5. The car has 47,700 miles but has not had tranny fluid change. Should I flush the fluid or is it too late, and how much will that cost at dealer's?

Hello mate !
to answer a few of your question : Sprintbooster has been shown to be a sham quite often, not good. I'm running a Carlsson chip and that doe s averygood job indeed.
I"m also riding 20" rims in the summer, have not noted any difference in fuel consumption with the chip and the rims.
The real issue is that the larger rims add weight and they affect the camber (because of the inherent design of the merc suspesion).
I've also gotten a Ksport suspension, not the most expensive but does the job quite well, and makes it almost as comfy as with the stock shocks and fat sidewalls.

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dread Specter
Hello mate !
to answer a few of your question : Sprintbooster has been shown to be a sham quite often, not good. I'm running a Carlsson chip and that doe s averygood job indeed.
I"m also riding 20" rims in the summer, have not noted any difference in fuel consumption with the chip and the rims.
The real issue is that the larger rims add weight and they affect the camber (because of the inherent design of the merc suspesion).
I've also gotten a Ksport suspension, not the most expensive but does the job quite well, and makes it almost as comfy as with the stock shocks and fat sidewalls.

Hope it helps.
Cheers.
Thanks, Mate. It's nice to know you can go to 20" rims and still maintain a decent ride. I'm installing 18" rims this week and can't wait to see what difference it makes. I've already ordered a sprint booster, so I may still install it but if it makes no difference I'll send it back. I have heard that it does not add more power, which I knew already. However, on my C55 it seemed to make what HP I had more accessible, so if it improves throttle response etc. then it may be worth it. Then again, it may be smarter to return it and put the money toward the Carlsson chip if I can get it here in the U.S. Good information - very much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (sold); 2007 R320 CDI (sold); 2008 ML320 CDI; 2014 ML350 Bluetec
[QUOTE=X55 MGR;5220816
4. Anyone tried the sprint booster on the 320 CDI or is the Kleeman "box" thing that attaches to the ECU better because it does the same thing as SB plus adds real power?[/QUOTE]

I used Kleeman KD box and it was perfect for me ..My recommendation ...
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by zemun1234
I used Kleeman KD box and it was perfect for me ..My recommendation ...
I've used the KD-Box and now have the Diesel Power box (which supposedly modifies boost and injector duration, it has two plugs), and honestly I can't tell much of a difference. I have been running these boxes almost since I bought the car, so maybe I should take them off and try it. I did a timed run with my current box, and about 550lbs of passengers and a suitcase full of luggage in the trunk, and only did it in 7.3 seconds, which is slower than the 6.9 quoted by MB. Of course, I also have the pano roof, which probably adds some weight.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C-Class
Sprint Booster

Sprint Booster will work like stacking a chip on a diesel motor. They work of off fuel since they don't have a throttle body. This will enhance you acceleration and feel throughout the throttle pedal positioning !
Old 06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
E320CDI, CLK55, and a Smart
Handling in my opinion will get better with a larger wheel. I went from stock 16s to 19s and the larger wheels definitely added some unsprung weight. You will also lose some comfort from the lower profile tires, but when you turn into a corner the tire will not flex as much as a tire with a larger wall. MPG will also take hit. My rough estimates would be approximately 5%-10%. I average 30 mixed street/freeway. Before the larger wheels, I would guess about 32-33mpg. Then again, it could also be my heavy right foot.

Not sure. I went with BBS LM-R.

I also changed up my suspension in the E320 CDI. My ride had 90k miles on it so it was due for a fresh setup. The stock shocks were getting a bit too soft. Springs were fine and would last the lifetime of the car, but the ride height was too high for the 19" wheels. If you upsize your wheels you will have a noticeable gap between the wheel and fender. I ended up with some KW V2 coilovers and the difference is night and day. I would say that this setup is a bit too stiff for my liking, and rides rough combined with the 19" wheels. But I am getting used to it. Body roll in turn has been drastically reduced and this is with stock sway bars.

I have the Carlsson C-tronic box installed and I could definitely feel a difference in my butt dyno. It feels more torquey than before. I think all the boxes do the same thing; they increase the fuel rail pressure. Is it worth it? Yes.
MB says that the fluid is lifetime, but I would have it changed. In general fresh fluid is better, but do you absolutely need to do it at this point? Probably not. I would do it just to have some peace of mind. I have no idea on price, but I would guess 2-3 hundred.

I do not use any fuel or injector cleaner. I've heard of some other diesel users try Diesel Kleen + cetane booster, but MB actually recommended against use of additives. But then again, ever major diesel gas manufacturer adds their variants of detergents, demulsifiers, corrosion inhibitors, etc to their diesel. Shell for an example came out with Super Diesel a couple years ago.

As for me, I fill up with B5 diesel every once in a while, which has a bit more lubricity than traditional #2 diesel. Studies have found that bio-diesel has a higher cetane rating too. But that's a whole other thread in itself.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the detailed responses. Last night, I installed the Sprint Booster, and, about an hour, ago changed from the stock 16" rims to 18" Rims. I'm very pleased with the results of both. I already have the Sprint Booster on another car so I was hopeful it would make a difference on my laggy E320 CDI. Let's just say, it made enough of a difference that I don't think I'll be pursuing the Kleeman /Carlsson Box, at least for a while. I did not need more power necessarily, the car has pleanty of torque. I just needed the torque/responsiveness to be more accessible and under my control. Check.

The 18" rims and tires also made a big difference in the floaty feel I had until this afternoon. Car is more planted and without sacrifing comfort. It may be a tad noisier, but nothing bothersome at all. I had been thinking of adding KONI FSDs, but again, I feel like that can wait a while, although I'm curious to find out how much better it will handle on them. I will go FSDs when I do only because I want something reasonably priced but not so firm that I lose the comfortable, daily driver-suitable feel of the CDI. For that "sportier" feel I still have my C55

As to biofuel, I need to find out where I can get that in Houston and run that through once in a while. Is there a cleaning process - like Fuel injector cleaning - one can do at a shop to clean the carbon deposits etc? I have not heard of any yet, but this is my first diesel so what do I know?

Thanks much . . .

Originally Posted by Dan ****
Handling in my opinion will get better with a larger wheel. I went from stock 16s to 19s and the larger wheels definitely added some unsprung weight. You will also lose some comfort from the lower profile tires, but when you turn into a corner the tire will not flex as much as a tire with a larger wall. MPG will also take hit. My rough estimates would be approximately 5%-10%. I average 30 mixed street/freeway. Before the larger wheels, I would guess about 32-33mpg. Then again, it could also be my heavy right foot.

Not sure. I went with BBS LM-R.

I also changed up my suspension in the E320 CDI. My ride had 90k miles on it so it was due for a fresh setup. The stock shocks were getting a bit too soft. Springs were fine and would last the lifetime of the car, but the ride height was too high for the 19" wheels. If you upsize your wheels you will have a noticeable gap between the wheel and fender. I ended up with some KW V2 coilovers and the difference is night and day. I would say that this setup is a bit too stiff for my liking, and rides rough combined with the 19" wheels. But I am getting used to it. Body roll in turn has been drastically reduced and this is with stock sway bars.

I have the Carlsson C-tronic box installed and I could definitely feel a difference in my butt dyno. It feels more torquey than before. I think all the boxes do the same thing; they increase the fuel rail pressure. Is it worth it? Yes.

MB says that the fluid is lifetime, but I would have it changed. In general fresh fluid is better, but do you absolutely need to do it at this point? Probably not. I would do it just to have some peace of mind. I have no idea on price, but I would guess 2-3 hundred.

I do not use any fuel or injector cleaner. I've heard of some other diesel users try Diesel Kleen + cetane booster, but MB actually recommended against use of additives. But then again, ever major diesel gas manufacturer adds their variants of detergents, demulsifiers, corrosion inhibitors, etc to their diesel. Shell for an example came out with Super Diesel a couple years ago.

As for me, I fill up with B5 diesel every once in a while, which has a bit more lubricity than traditional #2 diesel. Studies have found that bio-diesel has a higher cetane rating too. But that's a whole other thread in itself.

Last edited by X55 MGR; 06-13-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM

2005 E320 CDI
I recently upgraded from the stock 16s to 18s on my 2005 CDI and noticed about a 10% hit on mileage. I wasn't sure if it was due to the actual tire size change so the speedo wasn't registering correctly - but after reading this thread I guess I really did knock my MGP.

I really like the cornering a lot better with the staggered 18s compared to the squishy 16s. And I just learned about the Kleeman KD box so i will read about that one now!