need MFI diesel pump 1992 300 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 300 diesel turbo 1992
need MFI diesel pump 1992 300 turbo

Hi!
I'm a newbie and know close to nothing about cars. I have a 1992 300 turbo diesel that has been having problems starting. Mechanic says the problem is the MFI diesel pump, and he can send it to be fixed (rebuilt?) for about $3,000 (I assume that includes putting it in, which he said will cost about $700-$800)

Can any of y'all enlighten me? can I just buy a part somewhere (used or new but not made by Mercedes), or... Other ideas?

How does that cost compare to, say, selling the car? (e.g., should I sell it? Fix it and sell it, or sell it before fixing?) At this point it can be started with spraying starter fluid on it, and once started, it drives well. Has abt 200,000 miles, and looks good.

Thanks!
Janice
Old 08-17-2012, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
MFI means mechanical fuel injection pump.

In a the absence of any other advice I would see another diesel mechanic for an opinion.

If it runs well after starting it may be just glow plugs. Does it start well when hot ?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 300 diesel turbo 1992
Thanks for your reply
A regular (non Mercedes) mechanic first checked it, and replaced the glow plug relay and fuel lines. He said it might not solve the problem, and alas, it did not.

It was starting fine when warm, but apparently now it did not start at all at the 2nd mechanic, who did a more complete diagnosis, and determined it needed a new MFI pump. He said there is no pressure... seemed quite confident in his diagnosis.

I talked to another private Mercedes mechanic (just talked to him, he hadn't seen my car)... who said at 200,000 miles, I will need a new gas tank, too (just based on the age). This guy was also outraged that the first (non-Mercedes) mechanic told us to start it cold by spraying a little ether on it. That's how it got started to drive it to mechanic #2, where it is now sitting awaiting my instructions.

Not sure if I should put the money into it or if it is just too expensive to maintain. The current mechanic said he will do an nspection of it (a light one, and for free) to give me an idea on Monday what other expenses I can expect in the near future, to help me decide if I want to keep putting money into this car.

thanks!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You are doing the sensible thing in checking what else may be needed to be done to prolong the cars economic life before making a decision.

I have just sold our diesel 1994 Peugeot 405 diesel which has done the same mileage ie 320,000km. It had been maintained very well & had a the fuel pump reconditioned ( $1500) & a new radiator .It was in excellent condition & went for A$3500 ,the book value was $2800.The Aust $ is a little more value than the US $.So they aren't worth much .

I think your decision should depend on what it is going to cost you in the medium term to keep the MB Vs the cost of another car which you would like to own .

It is also depends on what mileage per year you expect from the car. ie is it the main commuter or second car. I think a car of this age should be driven lightly.

I think also it will depend on whether you have an attachment for the car. If it is a trusted member of the family !!

You should find out the value of the car now when unserviceable, & when repaired & the cost of a replacement vehicle . This will help with the decision.

MB are not the cheapest cars to maintain at 20 years of age but if you can get another 3 or 4 years out of it for $3000- $4000 & enjoy the experience, it will be worth the repair.

A new car will depreciate a lot more than that but will include better safety features including airbags.

Good luck with it all & let us know of the outcome.

John C .