Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

300sd fuel leak and car won't start

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300sd fuel leak and car won't start

Disclaimer... usually my ex took care of car issues and now I'm on my own... I know a little but not a lot so please explain things very simply... no jargon. Thank you!

This is 1984 300sd. I have a fuel leak at the primary fuel filter. I thought it was the hose so I changed that and I changed the fuel filter while I was at it. Filled the new filter up with ATF per the parts guy's instructions before putting it on. Started the car just fine and noticed that the fuel leak is actually coming from the bolt that holds the filter on. It needs new seals... anyhow, I didn't have time to take care of that yesterday so drove the car home and parked it last night.

This morning I went to start it and no luck. I'm guessing there is an air bubble from the fuel leak. I opened up the manual pump to prime the system but when I pumped it fuel came pouring out.

How do I get my car started??? Thank you in advance!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Instal a new seal before doing anything else. If you have the equipment/ material try making/cutting one yourself to get you to town.

With the new seal on you will then need to prime the system probably by pumping the prime pump & cranking at the same time. Some one else may be more specific.

It may be time to find a good independent diesel mechanic.

Good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320CDI
Originally Posted by Carsy
Instal a new seal before doing anything else. If you have the equipment/ material try making/cutting one yourself to get you to town.

With the new seal on you will then need to prime the system probably by pumping the prime pump & cranking at the same time. Some one else may be more specific.

It may be time to find a good independent diesel mechanic.

Good luck
My vague memory of the engine in these cars thinks that there is a pump on the injection pump. I requires you to unscrew it and then you pump until have fuel flowing. I would unscrew it and open the banjo bolt on the filter and pump until fuel flow out -- tighten up the banjo bolt and give it a try.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update... replaced the seals and there is no longer a fuel leak. I also replaced the manual fuel pump (with some help). After all that was done the car still wouldn't start and the glow plug light wasn't coming on. So we checked the voltage at the glow plugs and there was no power going to them. There was power getting through the fuse in the relay though. My friend cleaned the connections at the relay (they had diesel fuel in them) and it started right up. Yay!!!

Unfortunately, this morning I went to start my car again and the glow plug light didn't come on. No luck starting. I tried cleaning the connectors again but it didn't help. Should I change the glow plug relay box??? I think it's kind of expensive so don't want to do that unnecessarily. :P
Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Try some electric cleaner spray similar to this on the connectors & anywhere else around the relay. Give it a good wash down then leave it to dry. http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=NA1004