Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GL 350 Diesel - Walk me off the cliff...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential GL 350
GL 350 Diesel - Walk me off the cliff...

Hello, i'm not a MB owner but am seriously considering a pre 2017 GL 350. I want to know if these can go 200k miles, plus without a major failure. I know any modern diesel will have potential emissions issues, but are there common issues with these that I should know about? I own a 4th gen Cummins diesel pickup and am a little scarred to own it out of warranty. My same thoughts go for the MB. I'm hoping someone can fill me in on any typical issues to look out for. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
This is DIY forum so in best case scenario you will have wealth of knowledge on cars that are out of warranty if not more.
Meaning unless owner of old MB just bought new one and comes here to share experience - snobs buying new MB will not stick their noses here.
MB makes diesels good of million miles for at least 60 years, so unless ops happens, the mechanical parts should last.
What fails on new generation cars are sensor and each year brings more of them.
I bought 2014 E250 and love small engine performance as well as good access for DIY repair. What hate on it are new sensors pricing.
I own 2017 Powerstroke diesel and love the performance. Still WI-FI connections give me constant glitches.
But then I don't need truck to connect to Wi-FI for driving
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential GL 350
Thank you for the reply.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Lumber83
Hello, i'm not a MB owner but am seriously considering a pre 2017 GL 350. I want to know if these can go 200k miles, plus without a major failure. I know any modern diesel will have potential emissions issues, but are there common issues with these that I should know about? I own a 4th gen Cummins diesel pickup and am a little scarred to own it out of warranty. My same thoughts go for the MB. I'm hoping someone can fill me in on any typical issues to look out for. Thanks in advance.

Hi there- for what it's worth I will give you my 2 cents. I own a 2014 GL 350 and I purchased new 4 years ago. Having never owned a diesel, I love it. I'm at 78,000 miles right now and I guess the biggest problem I have had to date was a few months ago the engine started leaking oil. Turned out it was covered under extended warranty and thank goodness it was. I am sure it would have been $3K-$4K expense. They had to take the whole engine apart and re-build. Apparently it is a known problem with some of the diesels as they run too hot and the seal breaks or something. I have had many other things go on (windshield wipers stopped working within the first 6 months, tailgate wouldn't open or close, steering coupling went out, sway bar, etc all happened in the first 2 years). I had hoped it all got out of the system. As far as the engine goes besides the oil leak everything has been great on that end, and hoping it can last me to 200K. The only other thing I've heard (not through this forum necessarily) is that the ad blue pumps go out after a while from corrosion and that can be costly. This is apparently true through Ford, Chevy etc. I'm knocking on wood for that one.

Hope any of that info has helped some. It's a great SUV, and rides smooth. I love that I can be in an SUV that drives like a car (in a way) I came from a Suburban before this, and Pathfinder before that. There is a lag in the diesels though that is a hair annoying if you like to really go fast right off the start. That is the only thing that I will say driving wise has bothered me. Otherwise great!
Old 01-06-2018, 03:48 PM

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
2012 GL 350
You'll probably have more luck on the X164 forum.

I bought a 2012 with 19k miles (I'm the second owner) about 4 years ago. It's been a never-ending string of problems and is easily the worst car I have ever owned. I'll never buy another Mercedes Benz product as a result.

While under warranty I had the following replaced: NOx sensor, Ignition Module, HVAC Blower Motor, Passenger Side Door Handle (keyless go error), Rear Lift Gate Issues, and had the Turbo Intercooler Seals Replaced due to excessive oil leaks (this is 20+ hours of dealer labor.) That got me to 49,000 miles.

At 55,000 miles the timing chain stretched and I replaced the timing chain and tensioner myself. My write up of the procedure (this is 30+ hours if you DIY) is in this forum.

At 60,000 miles I'm again having NOx sensor issues.

I've yet to have the airmatic system go bad, but they all do so I'm waiting for it.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
E250 GLE300d
I wouldn't hesitate if the price was in your range and the car has a CPO warranty.

Good luck.

/