Sponsored by:

2010 ML350 bluetech 120K - Oil Cooler Seals and carbon build up - intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Ml350 bluetech
2010 ML350 bluetech 120K - Oil Cooler Seals and carbon build up - intake

Was really happy with my purchase of my ML350 BT up until noI though I was smart and bought an aftermarket warranty from Peoples Choice $2500. Wound up with an oil leak. Took vehicle in to the warranty approved service station. A day later diagnosis was oil cooler seals. Just so happened that warranty did not cover this. There are many paragraphs in the warranty listing components that are covered. The oil cooler or specifically oil cooler seals is not one of them. Then they conveniently announce in another paragraph that if any components are not listed here, they are not covered! Then there is a paragraph that says seals are covered! Clear as mud. I will deal with warranty company later. So I decided to call Mercedes as I did some servicing there. Outcome - sorry there is nothing we can do here. Great! So I take my vehicle to a reputable garage. They give me same diagnosis. I give them the go ahead to repair oil seals for oil cooler. Got a call this afternoon from garage telling me there is excessive carbon build up in intake. They send me pictures (I will try to upload). I use only Shell Vpower Diesel, oil changes every 5K to 7K using Liquid Moly 5W40 synthetic oil. I purchased this vehicle mainly because of the engine. Fuel efficiency and longevity. I would not dare buy a gas powered SUV. Has any one out there had to deal with the same issues. If I am doing everything right why am I having the carbon issue? Is this just a crappy design? The vehicle is driven on highway 70% of the time.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Carbon (?) soot and gunk build-up is normal thing on direct-injection engines. Search what owners of latest DI gasoline engines have to say about it.
Oil cooler seals are well known weak point on 642 engines, so I hope you can settle it with your warranty. Swirl flaps gumming up are less common, but known issue as well. Typical remedy - just replace whole intake.
I just took apart 320 Bluetec with 183k miles and it has less soot than yours. Hard to tell why the difference. My engine run for 160k on Tennessee fuel and last 20k on California fuel, that has high % of cleaners, so maybe that was it.
But what you have is still low build-ups comparing to 603 engine I was working on several years ago, where intake had like 1/4" thick stuff.
Meaning as bad as that looks, the engines still can perform with it. ... to some point.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:43 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Just sold my 2010 ml BT at 112k miles but only a few years after the cooler leaked and me replacing the DEF tank. Regarding your oil cooler, if you haven't paid to have it fixed, join the MB of America club and you'll at least get 10% off the repair at the dealer for a small membership fee of $50.

Regarding the intake, I noticed that my dealer added an additive to clean my system (in my GL350) but it doesn't really list what exactly was used. I too was going to change my oil at 5k intervals (didn't do so in my ML) but it seems that nothing can save those seals.

Originally Posted by roccomorra
Was really happy with my purchase of my ML350 BT up until noI though I was smart and bought an aftermarket warranty from Peoples Choice $2500. Wound up with an oil leak. Took vehicle in to the warranty approved service station. A day later diagnosis was oil cooler seals. Just so happened that warranty did not cover this. There are many paragraphs in the warranty listing components that are covered. The oil cooler or specifically oil cooler seals is not one of them. Then they conveniently announce in another paragraph that if any components are not listed here, they are not covered! Then there is a paragraph that says seals are covered! Clear as mud. I will deal with warranty company later. So I decided to call Mercedes as I did some servicing there. Outcome - sorry there is nothing we can do here. Great! So I take my vehicle to a reputable garage. They give me same diagnosis. I give them the go ahead to repair oil seals for oil cooler. Got a call this afternoon from garage telling me there is excessive carbon build up in intake. They send me pictures (I will try to upload). I use only Shell Vpower Diesel, oil changes every 5K to 7K using Liquid Moly 5W40 synthetic oil. I purchased this vehicle mainly because of the engine. Fuel efficiency and longevity. I would not dare buy a gas powered SUV. Has any one out there had to deal with the same issues. If I am doing everything right why am I having the carbon issue? Is this just a crappy design? The vehicle is driven on highway 70% of the time.

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 03-15-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:55 PM

2017 BMW 330i
Was really happy with my purchase of my ML350 BT up until noI though I was smart and bought an aftermarket warranty from Peoples Choice $2500. Wound up with an oil leak. Took vehicle in to the warranty approved service station. A day later diagnosis was oil cooler seals. Just so happened that warranty did not cover this. There are many paragraphs in the warranty listing components that are covered. The oil cooler or specifically oil cooler seals is not one of them. Then they conveniently announce in another paragraph that if any components are not listed here, they are not covered! Then there is a paragraph that says seals are covered! Clear as mud. I will deal with warranty company later. So I decided to call Mercedes as I did some servicing there. Outcome - sorry there is nothing we can do here. Great! So I take my vehicle to a reputable garage. They give me same diagnosis. I give them the go ahead to repair oil seals for oil cooler. Got a call this afternoon from garage telling me there is excessive carbon build up in intake. They send me pictures (I will try to upload). I use only Shell Vpower Diesel, oil changes every 5K to 7K using Liquid Moly 5W40 synthetic oil. I purchased this vehicle mainly because of the engine. Fuel efficiency and longevity. I would not dare buy a gas powered SUV. Has out there had to deal with the same issues. If I am doing everything right why am I having the carbon issue? Is this just a crappy design? The vehicle is driven on highway 70% of the time.

For those in the know, what aftermarket warranty should one look for if they plan on purchasing an ML or GL with this engine? Does MB offer one on a used SUV?
Old 07-10-2018, 07:35 PM

13-ML350 BT;06-IS300;99-4Runner
My 2013 ML350 Bluetech has similar excessive carbon build up issue. I also purchased the extended warranty from the MB dealer but now they say it's not covered.
My ML is regally maintained and MB has no explanation on how the excessive carbon were build up. The cost of repair to clean and replace all these is in the 5K+.
I am taking this to the shop manager and see if they are willing to do something for the repair bill.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
My OM648 manifold looked the same when removed first time at 120k miles or so. Needless to say breather no longer goes to compressor inlet andEGR is gone. Stays fairly clean now, shocking huh?
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Why does it cost $5k to clean that up?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Dealers don't have qualifications for cleaning, so they replace whole intake. That cost extra.
Joy of owning MB
Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Pressure washer, media blaster and some degreaser....maybe 2 hours? Mine turned out perfect...oh and later just got replaced with a non flapper version
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD

Miles or Kms? Canada or the Sahara?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Let an indy do it.

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Dealers don't have qualifications for cleaning, so they replace whole intake. That cost extra.
Joy of owning MB
Old 07-13-2018, 02:37 PM

2015 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by sxue888
My 2013 ML350 Bluetech has similar excessive carbon build up issue. I also purchased the extended warranty from the MB dealer but now they say it's not covered.
My ML is regally maintained and MB has no explanation on how the excessive carbon were build up. The cost of repair to clean and replace all these is in the 5K+.
I am taking this to the shop manager and see if they are willing to do something for the repair bill.
Did they deny the coverage because it's got too many km? I know my MB Canada extended warranty says no seals covered after 120k km, but I couldn't find anything about carbon buildup. How often did you do oil changes? I just bought a 2015 ML Bluetec in Vancouver..
Old 07-13-2018, 02:45 PM

GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
To me it seem like some gumout spray and a little elbo grease will clear that up within 15 mins.

I'd like to add that I've been searching more on the Sprinter side of things and a couple sites mentioned this as an issue and that we should clean the EGR at least every 10/15k miles. So it seems that all of this may need a quick wipe down from time to time.