Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Life after an engine oil flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 gl320cdi
I felt the same until I realized how much crap the egr was putting into intake theoretically. I have not had mine off but my mileage had dropped since 72k when I bought it. Only thing left that makes sense is air flow restriction. Will see some day.

But mainly being able to use a better protecting oil is my main reason As proven by blackstone oil tests. The iron level is considerably less. If course this is with the dpf removed. Which if you look into it you wonder the effect of the major exhaust restriction on the engine. I feel like my truck drives much smoother at higher speeds now.

After seeing all the timing chain failures I want the best protection. And as mentioned the oil is much cleaner when checking on the dipstick so I am sure that factors in also.

I was using castrol turbo diesel 5 w40 which was a 229..51 before and after the tune since I thought it was a good product. Then switched when I had trouble sourcing it to liqi moly leichlauft high tech which is 229.5. That is when I saw better reports. I wish I had sent off the mobil1 5w40 to see how it performed before the dropped it.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
From what I understand, modern diesel engine oils are low in zinc, which is what supposedly helps protect the timing chain as well as other moving parts.
I'm now running Amsoil Dominator 20W50 in the summer and Amsoil Signature 10w30 for winter. Was running motorcycle oil at the start of the summer. I know I'm sacrificing the DPF for the extra zinc, but seeing as I'm yanking all that crap off soon, it's a moot point now.

Future plans include;

- DPF/EGR/DEF delete
- Remote oil filter kit (available from a machine shop in Alberta Canada)
- Dual filter setup on the remote filter kit
- Continue to pop the engine cover and belly pan during the summer months

After all that, I wonder if I'll be ahead of the game LOL