Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DPF Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL 450 (lease returned, like new, cried when we left it at the dealer), 2011 GL350 BlueTec
DPF Cleaning

2011 GL350 BT with 135k miles. Clogged DPF likely due to other issues. Quote from both Indy and Dealer is $4k +.

Has anyone had experience at removing the DPF and having it "baked" and cleaned?

If yes, any recommendations and vendors? We're in Southern California, but have read on this and other boards that folks have shipped their DPFs for service in other states.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
Try Sprinter forums or just google your local area for those services.

Originally Posted by revets
2011 GL350 BT with 135k miles. Clogged DPF likely due to other issues. Quote from both Indy and Dealer is $4k +.

Has anyone had experience at removing the DPF and having it "baked" and cleaned?

If yes, any recommendations and vendors? We're in Southern California, but have read on this and other boards that folks have shipped their DPFs for service in other states.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
I have DPF regeneration shop in Vegas area - actually in Boulder City but they could not restore my DPF.
They used ultrasonic cleaning and it did remove black residue from the ends I can see, but even I put it on, the car will not rev past 1800 rpm.
Now for my 250 Bluetec I order new DPF in June. Last feedback from the dealer is that rebuild DPF will leave Germany on August 8.
My car is a brick in garage for 2 months and counting.
Good luck.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300 4Matic, 2011 GL450, 2005 ML500, 2010 GL350 and 2003 SLK230
Just had it done on mine with new sensors. Keeping my fingers crossed. At least comes with one year warranty.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Had DPF replaced once along with two NOx sensors under warranty, on my OM642 Sprinter before engine failed around 140k miles (stupid but expensive mistake). Had I another OM642 powered vehicle it would get the same treatment as my now 214k mile OM648 and EVERYTHING emissions related would be deleted. Perhaps it’s easier for me to rationalize living in a non emissions controlled area but, which is really more eco friendly, the 38mpg I got on the drive home or the 27mpg (both real, calculated values) the car got stock. In California I get it, you’re pretty much screwed if it won’t pass CARB testing, perhaps list it for sale in another area, across state lines? A $600 reflash can undo that whole situation with the help of a friendly exhaust shop.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Does the emissions delete really make a difference in fuel consumption? if so, then I can also expect more oomph when accelerating, right?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL320 cdi
I just had mine done last night. I'm in central Florida. I used a place called Williams diesel, was an ad on internet. I called and talked to them first, said I should drive over, 1.5hr drive, and let them diagnose then if determined if overnight baking would be needed. The cost of the baking was $450. So I thought the diagnosis would be I applied to the cost if they did the cleaning, if needed. So, I drove over, they immediately took my r350 in and checked it while I went to a restaurant for brunch and killed about 2-3 hrs. They finished, and said if I left it with them, and they removed it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it would be $1100+ dollars. I told them I would get back to them and then it was mentioned about how they offered the drop-off service for $450, so I told them I would bring the DPF back the next day (yesterday). I picked it up at lunchtime today and drove back to my Indy who still had my car on lift and we installed it together. It took about 30 min to reinstall. It's pretty easy if you have a lift, but I wouldn't do it without one. So I would recommend to negotiate with a local independent shop to remove it, and send it yourself, then have shop reinstall. It will of course need to stay there for a couple days. My Indy wasn't even going to charge me, but I forced a hour of labor on him. It's the right thing to do. Now the diesel shop didn't apply my diagnostic fee of $130 to the $450, which did pissed me off. If that had been clear in the initial phone call, I would have just pulled it and dropped it off. It seems to be a little zippier, but we didn't readapt the ecu to the cleaned dpf, because it was at the end of the day, and I thought we could do it Monday. On the way home the same DTC for regen frequency came on, and I quickly cleared it, and it hasn't come on since, but it has only 10 miles. I know that's no help, but we'll see over the weekend and readapt Monday. Now I'm not absolutely certain a readaptation is required, but regardless. It couldn't hurt, and my Indy with the star won't charge me, since it only takes a couple minutes to do. Since, I know it's a cleaned DPF, I don't care about the DTC code over the weekend and if it shows up we'll address it Monday. Btw, I had already tried new differential sensors, since they were cheap and easy to get to, mine were behind the passenger air filter box. And since I pulled the dpf out with the steel tubes to the diff sensor still attached I blew them out to ensure the weren't broken, crimped, or clogged. I'm sure there's a local DPF cleaner within a few hours of you. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Tpr211; 07-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
I can't wait to yank that SOB outta there and be done with it. Malone Tuning has gotten back to me with great news; There's a local shop literally 20 minutes away who can do the DPF/DEF/EGR delete for me.

Joy!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 316 Likes on 265 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Tpr211
I just had mine done last night. I'm in central Florida. I used a place called Williams diesel, was an ad on internet. I called and talked to them first, said I should drive over, 1.5hr drive, and let them diagnose then if determined if overnight baking would be needed. The cost of the baking was $450. So I thought the diagnosis would be I applied to the cost if they did the cleaning, if needed. So, I drove over, they immediately took my r350 in and checked it while I went to a restaurant for brunch and killed about 2-3 hrs. They finished, and said if I left it with them, and they removed it, cleaned it, and reinstalled it would be $1100+ dollars. I told them I would get back to them and then it was mentioned about how they offered the drop-off service for $450, so I told them I would bring the DPF back the next day (yesterday). I picked it up at lunchtime today and drove back to my Indy who still had my car on lift and we installed it together. It took about 30 min to reinstall. It's pretty easy if you have a lift, but I wouldn't do it without one. So I would recommend to negotiate with a local independent shop to remove it, and send it yourself, then have shop reinstall. It will of course need to stay there for a couple days. My Indy wasn't even going to charge me, but I forced a hour of labor on him. It's the right thing to do. Now the diesel shop didn't apply my diagnostic fee of $130 to the $450, which did pissed me off. If that had been clear in the initial phone call, I would have just pulled it and dropped it off. It seems to be a little zippier, but we didn't readapt the ecu to the cleaned dpf, because it was at the end of the day, and I thought we could do it Monday. On the way home the same DTC for regen frequency came on, and I quickly cleared it, and it hasn't come on since, but it has only 10 miles. I know that's no help, but we'll see over the weekend and readapt Monday. Now I'm not absolutely certain a readaptation is required, but regardless. It couldn't hurt, and my Indy with the star won't charge me, since it only takes a couple minutes to do. Since, I know it's a cleaned DPF, I don't care about the DTC code over the weekend and if it shows up we'll address it Monday. Btw, I had already tried new differential sensors, since they were cheap and easy to get to, mine were behind the passenger air filter box. And since I pulled the dpf out with the steel tubes to the diff sensor still attached I blew them out to ensure the weren't broken, crimped, or clogged. I'm sure there's a local DPF cleaner within a few hours of you. Hope that helps.
Was it the R350 BT or the GL320 ?
Old 07-29-2018, 03:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Originally Posted by peter2772000
Does the emissions delete really make a difference in fuel consumption? if so, then I can also expect more oomph when accelerating, right?
yes it does, killing EGR does exactly what it sounds like, to make efficient power you need clean, cool air, if ten plus % of the air consumed by your motor has participated in a previous combustion cycle, it’s is depleted of oxygen to burn fuel, slows combustion process and does not add power to that combustion event. DPF regen cycle is literally spraying raw diesel into pipe alongside DEF to use pipe as afterburner, get oxidation and SCRA CATALYZER glowing white hot inside cooking off deposits of previous combustion cycles, this is quite simply a waste of fuel, and if you play around searching Youtube for regen fires, you will see how much wasted heat and fuel is used depending on the exact system. Intake flappers do nothing for power, they clean up idle emissions a tiny bit by creating a litttle extra turbulence in intake air to more efficiently combust the diesel at idle and VERY low rpm which is not where we really drive. All this stuff makes a lot of heat too, heat out the pipes is wasted power.

Shifting timing of injection events to compensate for no EGR and such by as little as 1-2 degrees to get peak BMEP in cylinders at 12-15 degrees ATDC allows even higher efficiency and even less heat lost to motor increasing the BSFC or thermal efficiency of the motor and fuel.

Overly technical probably but yes, ridding our motors of this BS is good for power and economy and longer engine life.
The following users liked this post:
peter2772000 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 GL320 cdi
R350 BT
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 E320 Bluetec | 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel | 1965 Mustang Coupe 289 | 2015 Triumph Speedmaster
Originally Posted by revets
I removed my complete exhaust with the DPF in my garage (pipes were fused and couldn't separate the DPF) with the car (all 4 wheels) on ramps. I took the whole exhaust assembly to a shop here in the Toronto area and the guy was able to cut out the DPF from the rest of the exhaust assembly, bake it to turn any residual soot into ash, remove all the ash and weld it back up. I reinstalled it on the car, changed the differential pressure sensor (DPS) and it's working fine. The ash code I was getting is gone. I also had the catalytic converter and NOx filter cleaned out. As long as there is no damage to the internals in the filters ie melted elements (honeycomb, catalyst,etc) it should be serviceable. The tech should be able to check that to make sure before cleaning otherwise a new component (or a delete) would be required. In most cases the individual components can be serviced and re-used.

Last edited by BenzKraft; 08-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.