Missing CDi Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210, E220, CDi, Sedan, 1999, Facelift
Missing CDi Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor

Hi,
I bought my W210 CDi 2.2 two years back, Its working all fine but today it was a great surprise for me when I saw a 3 pin connector near backside of intake manifold. I googled and check it thoroughly and by physical investigation I came to a final conclusion that since from last 2 years I am driving my car without "Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor A6111500494".
This is my first CDi experience, so I am unable to judge the behavior difference between a 2.2 CDi with and without "Intake Manifold Actuator/Motor A6111500494".

Can anyone help me:
1- What is the difference between the behaviour?
2- What benefits I am actually missing (without having the required part)?
3- What could be the reason for which old owner or his mechanic removed this motor?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 09:49 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
As long as inlet flaps are in the wide open position the car should run fine and make as good power as if it were connected. Personally I’d make sure they are stuck open and not closed, while manifold is off if you go that route I’d remove all carbon buildup, butterfly valves and shaft while filling shaft holes either with weld or epoxy, clean inlet ports one by one with valves closed and walnut shell media blasting and enjoy. You have no MIL or Check Engine light on? If so that’s interesting? We never got that motor/chassis here so my experience is limited to my OM648 and w211
Old 10-05-2018, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Yeah, It took 6 more years before America could enjoy cdi engines.
Those flaps suppose to improve low rpm combustion and torque, so as we can see are optional.
Why it doesn't trigger code?
In 1999 the car electronic controls just kicked in and lot of items had no program for monitoring.
My 1998 model would not trigger CEL for bad CPS, nor bad MAF.
It might trigger codes for related issues, like misfire, but it was still some legwork to pinpoint the issue.
Than non-US models did not get OBD as standart till about 2005.
So we are talking history here
I cleaned the flaps on my 642 engine and they operate just fine at 183k miles.
So would that be me, I would restore the system.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
At idle speeds and VERY low (not useable portion) of rpm range the swirl flaps could indeed SLIGHTLY clean up burn by increasing charge air turbulence. They have been disabled then gone on my OM648 for 130,000 or more miles now, I would never bother with them, they did nothing beneficial that I could measure and definitely even clean and working properly obstruct every other intake ports airflow at all loads and rpms, definitely do not help with power under load.