Sponsored by:

Oil starved OM642?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 ML350 Bluetec 169900 miles
Angry Oil starved OM642?

Well I may have done this poor engine in while changing my oil and filter a few days ago.. I’ve extracted the oil more than a few times and also performed the same on my turned in diesel VW jetta. I use the Topsider blue metal can extractor, and I like it. Simple easy satisfying. I ordered the Mann fleece filters (3 of them) from silver star MB and didn’t realize till I extracted most of the oil that they sent me the filters for the gasoline ML. They overnighted me the correct ones the day after New Years though and I completed the change. Here is the problem, When I warmed up the engine to get flow through the extractor tubes proper, I didn’t let the oil get warm enough (cold Chicago area) and I noticed the oil was going slower than usual and I feared it may only get slower and possibly stop incomplete. So I did the unimaginable. Since I hadn’t extracted much at that point and it wasn’t low to begin with, I felt confident I could put everything back together and warm her up and finish. Well, if you remember, I took out the filter and after it stopped dripping I put into a small container I had sitting by which has oily sawdust in it. Soooo, I’m slowly starting to panic a little at this point thinking about little tiny ports and other things that could get clogged if anything gets into the engine. I make the best effort to clean the filter and housing and put it back in place. I start the engine let it run for maybe two minutes and then begin the process again. This time the oil is flowing fine everything is going normal except knowing I’ll have to complain about this wrong filter matter and wait with my ML stuck in the driveway till fedex arrives two days later. The oil extracted fine and I waited for delivery.
All the three days I waited, I stressed over the possibility that I may have contributed to clogging the damn engine and wanted to blame the wrong delivery but I know I’m to blame. So the filters come I go ahead and wait for the warmer weather coming the next day and I install the “correct” filter and pour a few qts of oil in and check, and a few more for the full 9qts. Whenever I change the oil in this vehicle I check the level for a few days after I change it but with this horror story going on I checked it after a short trip I had to make. Now when I put the full 9 qts in, I made sure as always to go slow and make sure I’m not overfilling and that I made sure of. But when I checked the oil after this 20 mile trip. It was just barely reaching the minimum mark! Damn! So I drive home and want to kick my *** and feel completely stuck. I drive it a short distance later. Check again and same results So now being destructo boy that I can be, I figure why don’t I put some real pressure on whatever is lodged maybe it will blast through. I never gun my vehicles, and I didn’t push her to more than 3500rpm uphill but it seemed like sufficient force. I checked the motor and it was a better reading... Until I checked it twice today and it is even just slightly lower than the earlier low reading.
It’s being starved and it all seems futile at this point. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions (pressure tests to determine or that moly additive cleaner???). I’m really feeling this is it. On the only positives, it runs fine Powers fine and no indicator dummy lights. Help please

Last edited by daniel Allen; 01-04-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Dump the oil, replace the oil filter & put in exactly the quantity of oil specified.

See the link below. Read through it all.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...l-problem.html

Regardless of whether or not you're circulating sawdust throughout your engine, that won't affect your oil level.
The following users liked this post:
daniel Allen (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:45 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
I agree with what Peter said. Run the engine up to operating temperature and drain everything out and change the filter. Install what the motor calls for and call it a day.
Mike T.
daniel Allen (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:54 AM

So I know I may be neurotic about this but am I imagining these tiny oil ports (for lack of another name description)? I’m going out now and performing your suggestions. Dumping and replacing. TY again
Old 01-05-2019, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The original post is hard to read, but I think you jumped big guns where nothing can happen.
The miniature particles that can travel with oil can't clog the passages. Lot of small engines operate with no oil filters at all and they can last, although with 50 hr oil intervals.
For the future - if you run into situation of wrong filter replacement - nothing wrong with reusing the old filter and replacing it few days later.
Talking about posting pictures - I think the forum require a number of post before member gains the privilege.
Than this forum was always having problems, what I think got worse after last script update.
I can't use my normal avatar here as script will not accept it. - works on tens of other sites
Than when I try to post here, than my pictures are too big, or script post them on the side, or upside down.
Heck with it.

Last edited by kajtek1; 01-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:33 PM

I appreciate that Kaj. TY

Now for some update on this little adventure of mine. I just got through extracting all the oil and replaced the filter as suggested by Peter. It was very new oil barely 40 miles on it. So, after checking the dipstick several times during fill up, she took all 9 qts as specified. I turned it on went through the usual leak inspection and drove around for a few minutes before checking the level. I let it sit the required amount of time and checked, and at first I was really disappointed to see what looked like nothing on the stick. I reinserted and checked closer and it dawned on me that having basically performed a flush on this thing, the oil is noticeably cleaner and clearer than the instant black oil I’m so used to seeing. Now after closer inspection I see the oil reaching exactly to the midpoint of the min/max marking. I’m relieved for the moment and have to assume MB would want a middle of the dipstick reading to be its baseline full indicator, otherwise there wouldn’t be much room for overfill in cases where the oil wasn’t fully drained. I will check multiple times for this next coming week and report back. Sorry for being so wordy and panicked. Thanks for all follow up
Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM

TY Peter

Now for some update on this little adventure of mine. I just got through extracting all the oil and replaced the filter as suggested by Peter. It was very new oil barely 40 miles on it. So, after checking the dipstick several times during fill up, she took all 9 qts as specified. I turned it on went through the usual leak inspection and drove around for a few minutes before checking the level. I let it sit the required amount of time and checked, and at first I was really disappointed to see what looked like nothing on the stick. I reinserted and checked closer and it dawned on me that having basically performed a flush on this thing, the oil is noticeably cleaner and clearer than the instant black oil I’m so used to seeing. Now after closer inspection I see the oil reaching exactly to the midpoint of the min/max marking. I’m relieved for the moment and have to assume MB would want a middle of the dipstick reading to be its baseline full indicator, otherwise there wouldn’t be much room for overfill in cases where the oil wasn’t fully drained. I will check multiple times for this next coming week and report back. Sorry for being so wordy and panicked. Thanks for all follow up
Old 01-05-2019, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Breath through the nose bro, breath through the nose....

As Kaji said, little bitty bits of sawdust may not cause any issues, though no one I know would want to test that theory. May I suggest cutting open the filter and looking for debris. As well, run the old oil through a rag or something and look to see if you can find any sawdust in the oil.

If you do find anything, do a couple more oil changes just to be able to say you did your best, then hope for the best
Old 01-05-2019, 02:46 PM

I’ll cut it open and breathe through, I mean inspect it lol. It’s all interesting to say the least.

Should have ave seen my face when I looked at the stick after replacing everything, my vision is bad and I certainly wasn’t expecting such clear diesel oil lol.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
1 more observation about MB diesel dipsticks.
The tube goes below oil level, while dipsticks have sealing oring on top. That has potential for vacuum in the tube when engine cools.
Had the phenomena on lawnmower in the past, that had solid cap on top of the dipstick, but seems older MB had enough leak on top oring that it took till 2008 Bluetec to make it a problem.
I pull dipstick on cold engine and it shows top of the scale. I wipe it off, insert again and now it is 30 mm lower.
So make a habit of wiping the dipstick and rechecking.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:28 PM

Ok so I hope these pics show well. I didn’t notice anything other than what might simply be the texture of the filter now standing out because of the color contrast

Old 01-07-2019, 03:46 PM

Cut filter
Old 01-10-2019, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Don't see any pics bud. But if you didn't find anything, you may be in luck.
daniel Allen (05-30-2019)