Sponsored by:

Questions re: DIY Oil Change, 2016 E250 OM651

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 10:57 AM

Received 113 Likes on 98 Posts
Ml350 bluetec
Originally Posted by arto_wa
I think you are confusing the metal dipstick "holder" which extends very close to the bottom of the oil pan and is part of these engines, and a flexible suction tube that is inserted temporarily inside the said metal tube in order to suck out the oil.

Some people do not bother to insert the flex tube and rely on the metal dipstick holder tube alone, and just simply apply vacuum to the top end of it in order to suck out the used oil.

This shortcut method sort of works, but in my experience it leaves about 1.5 liters of used oil on the bottom of the oil pan (at least in my 642.920 engine) which why I insert a tube all the way down to the bottom of oil pan.

WOW, did not know that method existed. I have always inserted the suction tube all the way to the bottom...
The following users liked this post:
arto_wa (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
MB designs dipstick tubes for extraction for at least 30 years. They are always faster than much smaller tubing inserted in it, but the car tube has small hole on the side for avoiding vacuum effect when you insert dipstick with oring on the top..
That lead to small gargling, so when you stop sucking when gargle increase, you might have 1.5l left.
But again, all engines I could check have the tube placed strategically in the corner and that will always beat plug drain hands down. Especially when you put a plank under opposite wheel.
The following users liked this post:
arto_wa (09-06-2019)