Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 E320 CDI
No need to stay up late at night worrying, since it isn't a theory and is indeed written law. It would take more than seemingly witty comments and you pointing out pages of a manual I have previously seen to change my interpretation of these laws. Several of these items listed on the pages you mention are the fuel filter, oil fill cap, and exhaust manifold. Looks like an assortment of things that need to be replaced or serviced and parts that are highly unlikely to fail. Sure, some others may come as as surprise but the more expensive items on that list for the most part fall under the 8/80 warranty and the exceptions to this are parts that have been shown to rarely fail if you look at the older models of this chassis/powertrain combination sold in Europe a longer time ago. The fuel quality standards here are also lower than Europe which has been shown in older models with different bluetec engines to have more damage to the emissions equipment pieces that are actually covered under the 8/80 warranty. This is where real world knowledge instead of merely point out a piece of paper comes into play. I would also give you that this small portion is the closest part of my input to a theory as there has not been enough time to test out the equipment for failure rates and I am only looking at historical failures and making an educated guess from there.

I do find it a bit amusing that you previously stated you would also not buy the extended warranty, but are still focusing on attempting to point out flaws in my statement. I didn't feel like writing multiple paragraphs to explain my logic and my opinion on this issue and instead pointed out something that the original poster may or may not have previously known. Usually they would come back with questions or ask for more information if they were unaware of this and further explanation would be needed, but this prevents from wasting a lot of time spelling things out that they may have already knew or possibly insulting their intelligence by assuming they did not know this.

Ironically, it seems that in the end we share s similar opinion on advising against purchasing the warranty despite your attempts to make my post seem to come from a view with no underlying knowledge on this subject matter.

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I would not wish to in anyway interrupt your theory of how the Federal Emissions Control Warranty works. I would though refer you to pages 34 and 35 of the Mercedes Service and Warranty Information booklet that comes with the new vehicle. On those pages you will find the listing of several items that are not covered past either two years or three years, depending on the State the vehicle was sold in, pertaining to the Emissions system. This interpretation of the Emissions Warranty is based on the caveat in their warranty that it does not apply to parts scheduled to be replaced before 80,000 miles.

While I am personally not interested in doing the research necessary on this Forum, I can assure you there have been a considerable number of threads in several sections regarding this topic on the 4 cyl. diesel. There have been very broad discussions regarding failures of the Bluetec system and the costs involved. If you are personally trying to make a decision on the extended warranty, this would serve you well. If you are simply defending your advice to not buy the warranty...everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
For what it's worth, I have decided to keep my ML and buy the 3yr 100k warranty. I also own a '10 C300 that my wife drives in Ohio. The car has 65k miles and has been very reliable. I did have an alternator failure which cost about $1400. I also had a thermostat go bad, the part alone was $500. None of these repairs were made at a MB dealer. With my background I have a lot of mechanical connections. MB parts are expensive and can't always be bought in the aftermarket. I also recently bought a CPO '18 Carrera GTS. I specifically searched for a CPO to get the additional 2yrs and unlimited miles warranty. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by gkgeiger; 02-27-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
There are in fact, from my count, 52 items listed on the two pages I referred to. There are four items that are denoted by an asterisk that states these items are the only ones listed with an eight year or 80,000 mile warranty. Forty eight items listed as part of the BlueTEC emission related items carry a 2 or 3 year warranty as they are considered to be maintenance items.

One example of a two or three year item would be the DEF Tank with Temperature Sensor. This tank also includes a heater. This assembly alone is reported to be a frequent failure item and relatively expensive to replace. In addition there are numerous sensors listed as a 2 or 3 year item that according to this forum posts again very expensive to replace. These items have been reported on this forum to have failed.

I am sure though your opinion to not buy the extended warranty to be the best option. I always did love people like you for the forty years I owned and operated new car dealerships. Customer pay work was always a better option than warranty work.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM

I just picked up my ML from the dealer. It was there exactly 3 weeks. The warranty claim was over $6K.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
WOW, The dealer sure knows how to milk MB.
Did they give you job order copy?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
Originally Posted by kajtek1
WOW, The dealer sure knows how to milk MB.
Did they give you job order copy?
I am really curious why you say that. The parts for the job are priced from Mercedes and the time is based on the factory manual. Any add-ons will need to be approved and justified. Are you saying the price is substantially less from an independent? Not arguing just curious in case I need to have it done.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
$6,000 is still lot of money in this country.
You can buy good MB for it and still have some left for fixes, so even considering $3k DPF cost, that still leaves lot of milking.
I am replacing DPF on my E in 1 hr.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Replacing? With a custom straight pipe I hope! On my 642 Sprinter this was easy in terms of choices, but I do I’ve where nobody knows what a diesel car is, and even if they saw it “dead to rights” it would be a non issue, fortune in that sense.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 AM

Two days after I picked my car up from the dealer (it was there 3 weeks) the engine light came on. I've waited another 3 weeks for a loaner. I was sure that the extended warranty was the way to go but now I'm thinking of taking the money and putting it towards a different car.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 142 Likes on 128 Posts
2012 X6 35i Sport, 2013 ML 350 BT, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2020 CRV-AWD
Start by bringing it in for a diagnosis, then take it from there.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,835 Likes on 3,022 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
If it were me, I would keep the car and not buy the extended warranty. Repairs will approximately equal the warranty cost, and you avoid giving away your money sooner than necessary.

I had a 2011 Touareg TDI that had almost all of the well publicized problems with its emission system. DEF tank, DEF pump, DEF heater, DOF, EGR, NOX sensors, turbo, maybe others. Most failures were paid out of my pocket. Some dealer goodwill was thrown in along the way.

I loved that vehicle. Drove it 238,500 miles at which time VW bought it from me under the dieselgate program.

Diesel is great technology, but poorly implemented in North American passenger vehicles. My 6.0L Ford Powerstroke was equally poorly implemented from a diesel technology point of view, and I loved that truck nonetheless.