Sponsored by:

e320 cdi overfueling injector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e320 cdi
e320 cdi overfueling injector

Is there any way to check for injectors for overfueling?

I recently had all of the injectors out, replaced the copper washers, new stretch bolts. I replaced two of the injectors (one was damaged from removal, the other had high leak off) and coded them via an Autel scanner.

The car is smoking on startup and running rough. Runs great after warm-up.

I think it is pointing to an injector overfueling. I think it may be possible that some dirt got into the injectors while they were off, I cleaned them the best I could.
I believe the dirt wore the injector or injectors out.

I read somewhere that you can test the injector fueling via DAS by monitoring "smooth engine running". Does anyone know if this can be seen using a snap-on or autel scanner?

Or is there maybe another test to determine which one is overfueling? I was thinking maybe I can let the car sit a few days and then pull the injectors to see if the injector nozzles are wet with diesel and also check the cylinder.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
"smooth engine running" is test for compression and done with fuel system shut off.
When it comes to to scanners, MaxiEcu is the only one that lists what they support, when none of Chinese manufacturers will give you any solid support.
When I don't know if any scanner can give you live data of fuel flow for each injector, good MB scanner will have option of turning single injector off.
Just like with old-fashion method of cranking mechanical injector fuel line, comparing the changes will give you indication what injector is out of line.
Good luck with troubleshooting.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 491 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
What was your source for the "new" injectors? Unless they came from an authorized Bosch rebuilder (can you actually get a NEW injector?) I'd strongly suspect the fresh parts.
What happens if you unplug the electric from each injector?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
W211 e320 CDI
Yep, that’s how I’d do it, unplug electric driver cable from each injectors individually. Not an option on my Fred trucks as injectors are buried in valve covers bytvpretty easy on Benz. I would be VERY suspicious of my “new” injectors, unless you’re gettingbpuffs of Black smoke at startupbid be more suspicious of an injector not firing rather than over fueling at idle and very light loads. Personally there. You may be totally right but if you truly have one stuck open cranking should take longer and be slower as all fuel rail pressure past high pressure pumpbwoulf have to build back to its 5500-6000 psi starting pressure.