Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 E320 immediate loss of power. Fault codes 2513-001 and 3066-008.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E350, Jeep Comanche, Triumph America
2008 E320 immediate loss of power. Fault codes 2513-001 and 3066-008.

Started the car up last night leaving a store and noticed the check engine light on. She seemed to drive alright through the parking lot but once I turned onto the road it was apparent something was wrong. Checking under the hood I saw that the breather hose was almost pushed out of the side of the plastic Y intake going to the turbo. (I did replace this gasket as well as the turbo inlet gasket about 6 months ago without issue, I don't know why it would have almost worked its way out).

From initial acceleration the car seemed fine but there is an immediate loss off power at 2000 rpm. Trying to accelerate over 30 mph is nearly impossible on the highway. I limped her home and my OBDII scanner found codes 2513-001 and 3066-008. I cleared them and the check engine light turned off but the loss of power was still present, I started the car up this morning and the check engine light is back on with the same problem. The car did not rev past 2000 rpm while driving. From my research today it seems as the problem could be caused by the (1) turbo actuator, (2) crank case breather valve, or the (3) swirl flap motor.

After removing the intake to the turbo I am afraid the culprit is going to be the swirl flap motor as it is soaked in old oil.

Is there anything I should be considering?

Old 08-29-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
2008 E320 BlueTec, 1980 300 SD
Originally Posted by Jlindsey86
Started the car up last night leaving a store and noticed the check engine light on. She seemed to drive alright through the parking lot but once I turned onto the road it was apparent something was wrong. Checking under the hood I saw that the breather hose was almost pushed out of the side of the plastic Y intake going to the turbo. (I did replace this gasket as well as the turbo inlet gasket about 6 months ago without issue, I don't know why it would have almost worked its way out).

From initial acceleration the car seemed fine but there is an immediate loss off power at 2000 rpm. Trying to accelerate over 30 mph is nearly impossible on the highway. I limped her home and my OBDII scanner found codes 2513-001 and 3066-008. I cleared them and the check engine light turned off but the loss of power was still present, I started the car up this morning and the check engine light is back on with the same problem. The car did not rev past 2000 rpm while driving. From my research today it seems as the problem could be caused by the (1) turbo actuator, (2) crank case breather valve, or the (3) swirl flap motor.

After removing the intake to the turbo I am afraid the culprit is going to be the swirl flap motor as it is soaked in old oil.

Is there anything I should be considering?

I replaced a leaky pressure control valve about three or four months ago and posted a thread about it here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...alve-leak.html

It is important to replace the engine air filters in timely manner on these engines. I have switched to 20,000 mile air filter chance based on my experience.

Old 08-29-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes E350, Jeep Comanche, Triumph America
Thanks for the insight. I ended up doing the 4.7k ohm resister mod on the connector that runs to the swirl motor and the car is now running great. I will be rerouting the crankcase ventilation hose to the exhaust in the near future...I hear you on the air filters. I have been changing them once a year since I have owned the car.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the insight. I ended up doing the 4.7k ohm resister mod on the connector that runs to the swirl motor and the car is now running great. I will be rerouting the crankcase ventilation hose to the exhaust in the near future...I hear you on the air filters. I have been changing them once a year since I have owned the car.

Glad to hear you did that, I just remembered reading about it on this forum and was going to suggest it.

I think you still need to figure out what caused the excess oily fumes?

By the way, the new OEM pressure control valves have slightly modified outlet seal as can be seen in the photo (it's non replaceable).
Old 08-29-2019, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
About air filters.
The miles-based service recommendations originated when air filters cost $5, but that is no longer the case, especially when you have 2 filters and they are bear to replace.
Lot of diesel engines have factory - installed AIR FILTER MIDERS and it is not a big deal to add 1 to our cars.
I drove with 1 and in California clean air I put 100,000 miles and filter was still good.
So don't spend money on the schedule. Install 1 of those gauges and replace the filter whey you actually need it.
Truck models of minders come with switches, so you can wire it to brake fluid sensor and have light coming when filter needs replacement.
ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R2.TR 2.TRC0.A0.H0.Xfilter+minder.TRS0&_nkw=air+filter+m inder&_sacat=0
Old 08-29-2019, 05:11 PM

Have you found a good information here or anywhere else on how best to do the crankcase ventilation to the exhaust on these models?

Last edited by arto_wa; 08-31-2019 at 10:50 AM.