Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail pressure and pump concern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 PM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
I'm presuming the boost sensor was replaced with one that should not be in that position on the engine. Put your old boost sensor back in and tell me what your reading is. Keep in mind that it is a pressure sensor, not a vacuum sensor like the one on the airbox so if it was not replaced with the exact same part from MB or Bosch or it was not put back in the same position on the engine, it could falsely read that it has 2500 hPa (36psi, or 1500hPa/22PSI (max boost) when removing atmospheric pressure from the reading) at idle when its not. This would also falsely tell the engine that it is already at max boost and disengage the turbo actuator, causing your slow acceleration.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E350 CDI Bluefficiency 4matic
Originally Posted by dhurley
I'm presuming the boost sensor was replaced with one that should not be in that position on the engine. Put your old boost sensor back in and tell me what your reading is. Keep in mind that it is a pressure sensor, not a vacuum sensor like the one on the airbox so if it was not replaced with the exact same part from MB or Bosch or it was not put back in the same position on the engine, it could falsely read that it has 2500 hPa (36psi, or 1500hPa/22PSI (max boost) when removing atmospheric pressure from the reading) at idle when its not. This would also falsely tell the engine that it is already at max boost and disengage the turbo actuator, causing your slow acceleration.
Right on. I will put them back the way they were. They really look the same.

Boost sensor

Boost sensor

Air intake sensor

Air intake

Edit : OK, I put everything back the way it was and the readings are back to normal. The car is working normal again. I will drive it around and see if everything is ok.

Last edited by vaseto; 05-22-2020 at 04:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dhurley (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 12:17 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
GL320
Originally Posted by vaseto
Right on. I will put them back the way they were. They really look the same.

Boost sensor

Boost sensor

Air intake sensor

Air intake

Edit : OK, I put everything back the way it was and the readings are back to normal. The car is working normal again. I will drive it around and see if everything is ok.
Awesome.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:24 PM

OK, it looks the car is ok. Thank you everyone for the great help. I appreciate every bit of information.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
Congratulations!

Scanning the posts, it looks like smoke issue was due to DPF regen cycle not getting deleted from the original tune, and new tune fixed this?
If you can take time to summarize that would be great!
I've considered getting mine tuned, just for longevity but haven't pulled the trigger...

Thanks
Old 05-26-2020, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by B34chBum
Congratulations!

Scanning the posts, it looks like smoke issue was due to DPF regen cycle not getting deleted from the original tune, and new tune fixed this?
If you can take time to summarize that would be great!
I've considered getting mine tuned, just for longevity but haven't pulled the trigger...

Thanks
Are you sure we are talking about the same issue? There was a DPF code earlier for some unknown reason, but it is gone. In summary :

1. The car was running fine until I pumped fuel 2 months ago. It turns out it wasn't my fault, the pump was broken or they did mix it with Gasoline.
2. Car died shortly after fueling (very lucky it happened right in front of the apartment).
3. I have noticed 3 different oil leaks - took the engine apart and changed the oil cooler gaskets.
4. Replaced the crankcase breather control valve, which was totally broken and it was dumping oil into the turbo. The oil was then leaking onto the flaps motor. Replaced motor and flaps control arms with aluminum ones.
5. Replaced oil filter housing gaskets, also leaking onto the belt and steering pump.
6. Replaced the front cover vacuum pump sealing O-ring, oil was leaking badly onto the alternator and intake temperature sensor. The sensor needed to be replaced.
7. Replaced battery, the old battery still good, but not enough
8. Replaced high-pressure steering hose, leaking under the car.
9. After I put everything back together, the car did not want to start and I posted here after watching around 160 videos and read 120 posts haha. The main issue was very low pressure in the rail. Replaced fuel filter, old filter was perfectly good.
10. I did an LP pressure test, checked everything around, no luck - very low pressure still present.
11. After 2 weeks of no start, I replaced the LP pump. It turns out the old was perfectly good.
12. And finally, I realized the fuel is not diesel, but Gasoline so dumped the tank, put fresh diesel. I found the fuel lines on 2 injectors were not properly torqued, that's why the low-pressure issue.
13. All lines checked car started but few issues with the intake pressure, exhaust pressure, and boost pressure were still persistent. It turned out I swapped the 2 sensors - boost and intake pressure.
14. Put the sensors back the way they were, cleared the codes, and voila!! The car is running like new.

I did all this with the help from you guys here on the forum and I am very grateful!! Thank you very much again!

Last edited by vaseto; 05-26-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:52 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
You're right - I'd got 2 threads mixed up.
Yeah, if too much oil getting drawn into motor DPF can get unhappy until it burns off. And any small leak after the turbo will be seeping oil making a mess...
Interesting about the leaking injector lines.

Very good, thanks again.

Is good to have the car back, I'm sure! Happy motoring!
Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by B34chBum
You're right - I'd got 2 threads mixed up.
Yeah, if too much oil getting drawn into motor DPF can get unhappy until it burns off. And any small leak after the turbo will be seeping oil making a mess...
Interesting about the leaking injector lines.

Very good, thanks again.

Is good to have the car back, I'm sure! Happy motoring!
Thanks again B34chBum
Old 05-31-2020, 09:43 AM

Quick question for you guys. My headlight pressure cleaning system stopped working. I checked the pump today - it works. the second pump for the windshield works too, but the headlight pump does not pump. There is 3.29 volts present at both pump connectors. What should I check next? Is there a relay that does not work properly? Or something else?

Regards