W212 Oil Leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 12:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 GL350 Bluetec X166
W212 Oil Leak.

Hello Folks,

recently purchased a 2012 E350BT. I checked the carfax and all the maintenance was done at a dealership, even the oil cooler seals. Test drove it, didn’t notice any leaks underneath. Pulled the shroud and noticed residue on the turbo inlet and CCV seals.

I ended up changing the seals and fuel filter(as it was not done) drove it around and then discovered a small oil spot on the ground. Removed the butterfly and didn’t see any oil drips. Drove it around the block hard and parked the car, no oil drips on the ground.

A few hours later, drove the car to work (about 12 miles) and parked it. When leaving, noticed a quarter sized spot on the ground. Drove it home and parked it. Checked it a few hours later and there is a dime sized spot on the ground.

I would jack the car but don’t have the necessary tools at the moment to do it. Oil leak is coming from the passenger side on the oil pan shroud. Any ideas on what this could be? Could the CCV and turbo inlet seat be leaking previously and this just be leftover from it?

im a little stumped, as I was under the impression that the new oil cooler seals were so much better than the old one and were not susceptible to leaking.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:20 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec 4MATIC; 2011 ML350; 2005 C230k;
If the leak is on passenger side then the leak is not from oil cooler. Check the chain tensioner and vacuum pump. Also you can remove right side air filter and check under air filter.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 GL350 Bluetec X166
Originally Posted by artim808
If the leak is on passenger side then the leak is not from oil cooler. Check the chain tensioner and vacuum pump. Also you can remove right side air filter and check under air filter.
Wow that’s a good idea. I will try that. I’m hoping to be able to get it in a bay and get the belly panels opened.