Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Manual Shut off valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021 | 03:00 PM

1995 E300 Diesel
Manual Shut off valve

Hi,

First post on this excellent forum. Ive been spending the last few days reading various posts and the info is fantastic here.

I have a simple question. My father-in-law just gave me his 95 E300 Diesel (186K) that he purchased (special ordered) from new. This car is in fantastic condition as its been garaged and meticulously serviced from new. Im new to Mercedes, especially diesels and Im getting familiar with how these beautiful engines work. Im honored to have this car and am enjoying working on it.

Im curious about the little manual shut off knob on top of the Fuel Filter, as there was a tiny (just damp) bit of fuel at the base of this knob. Im wondering, where to optimally "set" this knob for normal operation. In other words, if I turn it to Stop, how many turns from there should the valve be set at for normal operation. Im thinking too many turns might let some fuel by, yet setting it too close to Stop may affect performance. I did open the thing up to see how the filter looked and everything looked clear. Just curious about that knob.

Any guidance? Thanks in advance.