Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice Needs Help with Sprinter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sprinter 2500 4x4, GL350 BT (mechanically totaled), C63 AMG (sold)
Novice Needs Help with Sprinter

Hi All -

Just joined the forum and looking for help. I cannot find a Sprinter section in the forum but if I am missing it, please point me in the right direction.

I just took delivery on a 2016 Sprinter 2500 that I purchased online.

The rig is a 2500, 170 WB, 12 passenger, high roof, 4x4 model.

Mileage is 146,500.

My main question is what the experts here recommend I do or start with for maintenance as a "run through" for this since it's new to me. I'm going to change the oil but wasn't sure if I should flush/change DEF, ATF, transfer case, differentials, radiator, etc. Anything specific you all recommend for this age/mileage? Vehicle was previously a company car and seems to have been well maintained.

I do have a CEL and SRS light on the dash, hopefully my pocket scanner can give me some clarity on those - I will post what I find after I scan it.

Also, I only did a short drive through my neighborhood since I don't have tags or insurance yet. It runs well and shifts smooth but "feels" like it shifts late. What I mean is that it doesn't shift until the tach is close to 3000 or just over - that just seems to be the shift point for the first few gears (I didn't get moving very fast in my neighborhood). What's the normal shift point on the tach? Like I said, it shifts smooth but just seems a bit late (high on the tach) when it shifts. I'm thinking maybe this being a big rig, 4x4, etc. it just has different shift points but wanted to ask and put my mind as ease IF this IS normal. If it does NOT sound normal- what should I zero in on?

FWIW I did have an OM642 in a 2010 GL350. Unfortunately, a local indy shop mechanically totaled it when doing the timing chains. That's my only experience with MB and the 3.0 bluetec but I know they redesigned the engine around 2011. I can tell that this Sprinter will be MUCH easier to work on just due to the space around the engine. I do have a cheap MB specific OBD scanner and I have access to WIS. I don't know how to use WIS so if anyone can point me to a tutorial, that would be great. I would prefer to do as much of the work myself, really anything that I can do myself, I will so I know it's done right.

Any input on where to start or where to focus would be great. And if there's a specific sprinter section of the forum I am missing, please let me know!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 GL450 , 2005 Sprinter 3500, 1980 SL 500
I am surprised no sprinter section exists as well... had allot of info with t1n sprinter group on facebook, but we all have the first gen sprinters. was hopping for some additional help here as most on facebook are novices.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Too many :)
This may not be of much help but for any vehicle where I don't have clear history, I would change all fluids at that mileage just to be safe.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Sprinter-source forum is very active, so go there for any help.
Your MY is subject to recent settlement, so check what is the status and CHECK CODES
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/daim...vil-settlement
The following users liked this post:
Mark Pasieka (05-13-2021)