W124 300D - open tube spitting oil?? EGR delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none yet
W124 300D - open tube spitting oil?? EGR delete

Hi all,
I visited a w124 1995 300d this week about 4 hrs from my house. 78k miles on the odometer and seems probable based off the Carfax I ran. I live in California btw.

Here is my question for anyone. The guy told me that the EGR had been removed, which it looks like it was. The thing that worried me, was there seemed to be a rubber tube coming out the passenger side of the engine block that was just open, and spitting small amount of oil onto the plastic air intake hoses. I told him that I would be back and did some research on it.

I only found 1 post on EGR delete that said something about drilling a hole in the side of the manifold and putting a tube in it. Every picture/video of the om606 1995 300d engine I can find online doesn't show that tube.

The price is good, and obviously mileage is amazing/unbelievable. Has anyone seen this tube before?

Here is the tube I'm talking about

Also, since it's 1995 I don't have to smog in California, but would I run into problems with a visual inspection?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2022, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 275 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
It might be your crankcase vent. If so, it should be plumbed back into the intake on the suction side of the turbocharger. It really isn't related to the EGR system.

Can' tell much from the tiny picture.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:22 PM

none yet
Originally Posted by John CC
It might be your crankcase vent. If so, it should be plumbed back into the intake on the suction side of the turbocharger. It really isn't related to the EGR system.

Can' tell much from the tiny picture.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate it! This is the non turbo om606 engine, so no turbocharger. I thought the same, that it is some kind of crankcase vent, but I couldn't find anything online about it, hence trying this forum.

Apologies for the small pic, it's a screenshot of a video lol.

I really want to buy the car, but got scared off by this mysterious hose....

Old 02-19-2022, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
What's your DIY experience?
Buying small diesel in USA is not for everybody since it is very hard to find knowledgeable mechanic.
Buying old car, that was hacked by PO only adds to the risk.
benzworld has good wealth of knowledge about W124 and lot of links.
Old 02-20-2022, 12:05 AM

none yet
Agreed, the diesel being hacked made me walk away from it, but I was hopeful someone would tell me that its a normal modification so I would feel confident enough to buy it.

Plenty of diy experience on gas engines, but never owned a diesel before.
Old 02-20-2022, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
1995 model, if I am not mistaken is the first digitally controlled engine, but it is "switch thru" year, what usually is bad thing. I had the same 606 (?) engine in W210 and power curve was pretty annoying.
Previous diesels in W124 had vacuum logic system (yes vacuum-operated computer) with a maze of vacuum tubings and switches. Even advanced DIYer had trouble to restore it.
With lack of diesel experience, I think you did right thing walking away from it, even it would run good.
How much they've been asking? My father had 1987 W124 diesel in perfect mechanical condition, what 3 years ago he had to donate to charity as nobody would make an offer on $2000 asking price.