Engine shuts down in 4 seconds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 397 Likes on 333 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Diabolis
We certainly would not install any customer supplied parts in the P-car shop, and furthermore, if you are that cheap that you cant afford the ~10-15% markup on parts from wholesale or the $179 CAD ($133.66 USD) hourly rate, we don't want you as a customer to begin with. Who will pay for the mechanics' time and other costs when the part you supplied does not work or malfunctions (as you have just experienced)? It's not the mechanics' or the shops' fault you brought in a defective compressor. If we get a bad part from Bosch or Valeo for example and it malfunctions, Bosch or Valeo reimburses us for the labour for taking it out and putting a new one in (the customer only pays what they would have paid for the original repair). So - yes, you have exactly ZERO expectation of performance when you bring your own parts in, and you're most definitely on the hook for the labour.
if shops marked up 10% or 15% above cost, or market price, it would no be an issue.
The issue is they are marking up 33% to 66% over list.
And then charging $200 per flat rate hour.

Oh, they also held my GL for 3 months waiting on a part, that I has delivered in a week from Amazon (in a sealed MB package). (For 1/3 the cost they quoted)
Old 09-21-2022, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
We certainly would not install any customer supplied parts in the P-car shop,.....
What's P-car shop?
Do you have nationwide chain, who gets the parts from the same warehouse and do you do warranty repair in Tampa on part mounted in San Francisco?
Old 09-21-2022, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by kajtek1
What's P-car shop?
Do you have nationwide chain, who gets the parts from the same warehouse and do you do warranty repair in Tampa on part mounted in San Francisco?
P-car = Porsche. I have some financial interest in a local independent VW / Audi / Porsche (but we mostly work on Porsche) shop.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by N_Jay
if shops marked up 10% or 15% above cost, or market price, it would no be an issue.
The issue is they are marking up 33% to 66% over list.
And then charging $200 per flat rate hour.

Oh, they also held my GL for 3 months waiting on a part, that I has delivered in a week from Amazon (in a sealed MB package). (For 1/3 the cost they quoted)
In that case I would respectfully suggest you find a different shop. It's a Mercedes, not a Pagani or a Koenigsegg... there should be plenty of decent shops and mechanics around that do quality work at reasonable prices. I don't know where you are located, but my Mercedes dealership in Canada where I service both of my Mercedes cars (and also the Sprinters) also charges $179 per hour for Mercedes, and a little less for Sprinter service. Their parts are not marked up by more than 15% over wholesale, although they do charge a premium for MB-branded fluids (coolant, motor oil etc.) compared with other off-the-shelf fluids.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 397 Likes on 333 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
In that case I would respectfully suggest you find a different shop. It's a Mercedes, not a Pagani or a Koenigsegg... there should be plenty of decent shops and mechanics around that do quality work at reasonable prices. I don't know where you are located, but my Mercedes dealership in Canada where I service both of my Mercedes cars (and also the Sprinters) also charges $179 per hour for Mercedes, and a little less for Sprinter service. Their parts are not marked up by more than 15% over wholesale, although they do charge a premium for MB-branded fluids (coolant, motor oil etc.) compared with other off-the-shelf fluids.

You have a good dealer.

Do me a favor, ask them the price for a GL320 AIrmatic compressor and installation.