Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended timing chain interval on OM642 & other buying advice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2022, 11:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Recommended timing chain interval on OM642 & other buying advice.

I looked around a bit but didn’t see the manufacturer recommended timing chain replacement on the OM642?

Im looking at a 2015 GL350 with 72k miles. Purchase would be from a MB dealer who is going to be inspecting and repairing as opposed to a random secondhand dealer who doesn’t know the vehicle. Also a current and former owner of a few VW TDIs, one of which I discovered that running 100% biodiesel will clog the fuel filter (I was over 100 miles from home for that event lol)

I’ve done some research on these and reading the forums looks scary but it’s probably kind of a skewed perception. I ran a similar search on Honda pilots when mine was due and found a forum with a number of posts about ruined engines because of timing belt failures. A timing belt failure actually happened to my cousin’s Subaru Legacy at around 100k miles. So it’s not so easy for me to point and say the failure rate is exceptionally higher or lower among these vehicles. Although certainly pricey if it does happen.

Read up on the oil cooler and that seems to be a problem with the v6 diesels for quite some time. Need to keep a close eye for that.

Any advice about DEF selection? Might be hard to say but is there any information about preferred brands or ones to stay away from?
Old 06-22-2022, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
A 2015 MY engine has the later singe-row chain which is more durable and stretches considerably less than the earlier dual-row ones. Unless you intend to drive it past 200K miles (320K+ km), I wouldn't worry about it. Furthermore, it should have had the emission recall done, which among other things gives you a timing chain warranty for four years from the date the recall was performed. Even the oil cooler seals should be the purple Viton ones so again the failure rate is considerably smaller.

Biodiesel is the enemy. It has a higher lubricity than regular diesel, and a lot more of it ends up in your crankcase (especially during the DEF burn-off cycles). If you live in a state that has mandated anything more than B5, they're not the right tool for the job as it dilutes the oil too much resulting in all sorts of premature failures. Make sure you only use MB 229.52 approved oils, and change the oil at least twice as often as the prescribed interval (as in every 5K miles at the most). And, above all else, make sure that a diesel is the right choice for you... the diesels are workhorses and need heat. Driving the car mostly for short commutes is the worst thing you can do to a diesel engine. Running them for 3+ hours at a time at full load is where they really shine.

DEF is DEF - a mixture of 32.5% urea and 67.5% de-ionized water. Unless it is old or contaminated, it makes no difference which brand you use. Make sure you get it only when you need it and always use the entire container (as opposed to frequently topping it up) as it will crystallize when stored for prolonged periods as the water evaporates.
The following 2 users liked this post by Diabolis:
Etienne Lau (06-25-2022), Jfxogara (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 02:54 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
I will look into the recall and wether or not the work was done and, if so, try to find the documentation especially if there is a timing chain warranty that goes along with it. That is good to know thank you for that.

I did find where the post 2010 models had upgraded seals for the oil cooler so there is less concern about that.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,488 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Don't do it. It's a junk engine with a junk emissions system (adblue). The emissions recall doesn't change any of that, it just gives you a 4 year warranty which will not prevent breakdowns or lost time dealing with it, or even waiting for parts that aren't available. Just like owning a boat, the best days you'll have with it is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 06-22-2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Don't do it. It's a junk engine with a junk emissions system (adblue). The emissions recall doesn't change any of that, it just gives you a 4 year warranty which will not prevent breakdowns or lost time dealing with it, or even waiting for parts that aren't available. Just like owning a boat, the best days you'll have with it is the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
Sorry, but that is categorically not true. I have an ML350s and a fleet of five diesel Sprinters, and they're real workhorses that have been extremely reliable. The only junk here is your comment.
The following 5 users liked this post by Diabolis:
arto_wa (01-17-2023), gone gone gone (07-05-2022), Jfxogara (06-23-2022), olesouthernboy (01-19-2023), Tdott (01-17-2023)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Sorry, but that is categorically not true. I have an ML350s and a fleet of five diesel Sprinters, and they're real workhorses that have been extremely reliable. The only junk here is your comment.
Total and utter crap. MB knows it, that's why they stopped selling diesels in the U.S. I have a technician friend who works at the sprinter dealer. Failed intake port motors, egr valves, constant oil leaks, adblue failures...pumps, level sensors, injectors, timing chain rattle, sludged blocks, mass air sensors, the list of failures is endless. The sprinter shop has more work than they can handle... And it's been that way for years. The entire emissions recall is a debacle itself... a great engine wouldn't need a class action lawsuit and billions in fines tied to it. Total 💩💩💩💩

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 06-22-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Total and utter crap. MB knows it, that's why they stopped selling diesels in the U.S. I have a technician friend who works at the sprinter dealer. They have more work than they can handle... And it's been that way for years. The entire emissions recall is a debacle itself... a great engine wouldn't need a class action lawsuit and billions in fines tied to it.
Bull*****. You have no idea what you're talking about. The emissions recall is because they were not turning on the DEF injection system until the ambient and/or engine temperatures reached a certain point. That's all.

And, they stopped selling diesels in the USA because the crap that comes out of the pumps there is 20% soybean oil - for which you can thank your politicians, not Mercedes, and because litigation is your national sport. From a mechanical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with the OM642. It is certainly a lot more reliable that the equivalent gas models. It's only when you put in garbage for fuel that dilutes the oil in 2000 km and drive it as a grocery getter when the engine never has a chance to properly warm up that problems start to arise. They still make and sell diesels in the rest of the world, and they make Sprinters with the same OM642 among other engines. Of the four Sprinter models that are available in the USA, three have a diesel engine... what does that tell you?

As for your friend, I also have a friend who happens to be one of the top three Daimler technical guys for all of NA, so I'll take my own experience and his word over yours. Unless you have any experience with the OM642, please stop bashing it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Diabolis:
arto_wa (01-17-2023), Etienne Lau (06-25-2022), olesouthernboy (10-28-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:53 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
I’m not really going to buy the hype of the doomsayers. I just spent the past 3 years living in Europe and nearly the entirety of Central Europe is running on on these engines. Just about every utility fleet from the public transportation busses to the delivery trucks to the ambulance and emergency services the 320/350 CDI is in almost everything.

And yes they have strict, possibly even stricter, emissions standards than the US does. There are DEF pumps at the fuel station right alongside the diesel pumps. Although, their diesel fuel may be a bit higher quality if anything. I’m not sure of the diesel blends where I am so I will probably look into that.
The following users liked this post:
Etienne Lau (06-25-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
I've been working on Mercedes exclusively for 20 years and 27 years total in the business, with Ferrari before that. I'm the top diagnostic tech at my shop and I fix problems that others can't. I even have independent shops as clients who bring their problem cars (all MB) to me to fix. I've worked on.. and unfortunately continue to work on... the om642 and It's garbage. The only reason they haven't been relagated to the junkyard is the emissions recall, cash payout, and 4 yr. warranty. Otherwise, owners would have parted ways with that obsolete failure of a design long ago, as the near constant out of pocket repairs, maintenance, and breakdowns far outweigh and benefit of having that engine. You're far better off with the inheritantly reliable m272 or m276 gasoline engines. There's no reason to own a om642 at this point in time unless you're one of those diesel weirdos who's stuck in the old times of 300d's. Those days are longgggg gone and they ain't coming back. The 642 is a throw away engine... Yes there are shops that SPECIALIZE in rebuilding them... Isn't that something? There are no shops specialized in rebuilding the 272 or 276 engines, because there is no demand! They don't have the massive failure rate of the 642 turd.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 06-22-2022 at 11:51 PM.
tjts1 (12-19-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Neither one of you know what you're talking about, so let me take this opportunity to educate you. The term "limp mode" was made household terminology thanks to the om642 engine.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
I’m not really going to buy the hype of the doomsayers. I just spent the past 3 years living in Europe and nearly the entirety of Central Europe is running on on these engines. Just about every utility fleet from the public transportation busses to the delivery trucks to the ambulance and emergency services the 320/350 CDI is in almost everything.

And yes they have strict, possibly even stricter, emissions standards than the US does. There are DEF pumps at the fuel station right alongside the diesel pumps. Although, their diesel fuel may be a bit higher quality if anything. I’m not sure of the diesel blends where I am so I will probably look into that.
Good luck buddy. I only ask one thing..... Please remember me when you're hundreds of miles away from the closest MB dealer and your instrument cluster reads "5 starts remaining." Yep, that's a real life scenario... sounds like you'd better get on Google and do some more research before you make a huge mistake buying one of these turds, then pay more per gallon than gasoline lmao....
Old 06-22-2022, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Bull*****. You have no idea what you're talking about. The emissions recall is because they were not turning on the DEF injection system until the ambient and/or engine temperatures reached a certain point. That's all.
You are so incredibly wrong and misinformed, yet you accuse others of not knowing what they're talking about? If your statement was correct, which it is not, a simple software update would fix the problem. The recalls include thousands of dollars worth of parts including exhaust components, sensors, and some even require intake manifold replacement, EGR valves, transmission valve bodies, engine control units, thermostats, and more. And many of these "new" parts haven't been tested long term. When that 4 year warranty is over, you'll see many of these cars headed to the junkyard where they belong as the cost to keep them running will far exceed what the car is worth.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ugh... looks like we've hit a nerve here, and based on your last post it is apparent that you really are clueless. The fact that you are erroneously grouping together a "5 starts remaining" message and the OM642 engine itself says plenty about your level of knowledge. You wouldn't happen to be Tom Stephens of Stephens Service Center by any chance, would you?

I am sorry to hear your experience has been that negative - mine thankfully hasn't, and moreover I know of a VERY few instances in Canada that have resulted in catastrophic engine failures (this is based on statistical information directly from MB Canada, not a second hand account or a handful of cars that people have brought in). Unlike in the USA, 86% of all W166 and X166 MLs and GLs sold here were the 350 Bluetecs, or roughly some 32,000 vehicles. In comparison, the total number of W166 and X166 diesels sold in the US was less than half of that. Yet, the only people *****ing and moaning about the OM642 are owners from the USA that have admittedly been dealt a bad hand with their biofuel subsidies and resulting biodiesel content - for which you need to blame your government, not Mercedes - and are either too stupid or too cheap to change the oil any more often than they have to in order not to void their warranty. They also don't seem to understand that a DEF heater that dies after 5 or 6 years of freezing and thawing cycles does not make the engine crap and is technically considered a wear and tear item. The OM642 has been around since 2005, and is still being made and used today as a diesel workhorse, not just by Mercedes but also by Chrysler. Name one other modern engine that has been in production for 18 years please. And, if you think the OM642 is problematic, you really ought to have a good look at the alternatives. Unlike, say, a DEF heater, a balance shaft or intake manifold is part of the engine - and how many of those have you had to replace on the M272s that you like so much? More importantly, how many of the M272s and M276s that you've worked on have well over 250,000 miles and are still going strong?

Are the diesels the right choice for soccer moms in the USA that use them to do 20-minute grocery runs, keep putting in B20 diesel and only change the oil every 9,000 miles? Absolutely not. Are they the right choice for a vehicle that runs continuously for more than a couple of hours a day (or for that matter, 14 hours a day hauling parts) or for towing a trailer? You bet they are. If you are using the wrong tool for the job (or are using it incorrectly), it's not the tool's fault - it is yours, but you seem to be completely oblivious of that and are instead bashing the engine instead of those that are misusing it or not looking after it the way they should.

Anyway - it is apparent that you don't understand what the causes of any of the reported issues with the OM642 are and that we're not even close to having a meaningful discussion of any sort on the subject, so I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. Thanks for your valuable input.
The following 5 users liked this post by Diabolis:
arto_wa (01-17-2023), cadetdrivr (06-25-2022), Etienne Lau (06-25-2022), IBelieve (02-11-2023), olesouthernboy (10-28-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
E350
Resolved:

- That Mercedes Benz makes a great product, and has decades of experience making great diesel engines for both taxicabs and trucks.

Further resolved:

- That the 2007 EPA ULSD diesel emissions regs were a gut punch to all companies making diesel passenger cars. As the owner of two BWMW 335d sedans, the MB engineering solutions are probably about as good as anything I have seen, unsurprisingly.

And, they stopped selling diesels in the USA because the crap that comes out of the pumps there is 20% soybean oil - for which you can thank your politicians, not Mercedes, and because litigation is your national sport. From a mechanical standpoint, there is nothing wrong with the OM642. It is certainly a lot more reliable that the equivalent gas models. It's only when you put in garbage for fuel that dilutes the oil in 2000 km and drive it as a grocery getter when the engine never has a chance to properly warm up that problems start to arise. They still make and sell diesels in the rest of the world, and they make Sprinters with the same OM642 among other engines. Of the four Sprinter models that are available in the USA, three have a diesel engine... what does that tell you?

As for your friend, I also have a friend who happens to be one of the top three Daimler technical guys for all of NA, so I'll take my own experience and his word over yours. Unless you have any experience with the OM642, please stop bashing it.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 GL350
There are certainly more knowledgeable on the forum than myself, but I will chime in from my point of view. I believe timing belts are a certain change item, whereas the GL's have timing chains. There are reports of some stretching in the GL350's chain that can be rectified should it occur. The GL350 you reference should have been subject to a recall and AEM modification as a result of a class action settlement regarding MB diesels. More importantly, once done, it carry's a 4 year warranty on some major emission components. Your dealer should be able to give you details on that.
As far as DEF, I have been using (as DIY) BlueDEF. I have no complaints or issues. I have about 88k miles on a 2013....love the truck..Oil cooler replaced 2x under warranty and also new AC unit. it requires a little bit more maintenance than the other cars I have/had, but I tend to do most myself (brakes, filters, etc). Also, my understanding with these are that you want to change the oil and filter every 5k miles, but it is an easy change.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck
Old 06-24-2022, 03:28 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Yes a lot of useful information. I found the emissions campaign and asked the dealer, it had been completed in April of 2021 at 63,000 miles so the named components will be warrantied for about 3 more years, they vehicle will hit 10 years of age before any of the other limits take effect.

I’ll probably do my own oil changes and basic maintenance as I do with most of my cars. I would plan on doing it more frequently than recommended so long as I can remember without the notice.

Old 06-24-2022, 10:32 PM

Received 260 Likes on 182 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Can always check emissions warranty via vin here https://bluetecupdate.mbusa.com/home

Sure everyone knows this so newb bowing out.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by Panzerknacker
I would plan on doing it more frequently than recommended so long as I can remember without the notice.
Just do it every time the odometer is divisible by 5000: 65,000, 70,000, 75,000... You'll still get the warning every other time, in case you're really not paying attention.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Very few owners of sedan or SUV put it in high mileage bracket, but Sprinters are often used commercially and Sprinter forum has member with 3 yo vans at 200,000 miles.
They also have members who made 500,000 and even record is 700,000 miles without opening the engine, so I don't think you need to worry about chain on SUV with 70k.
Sprinters also have 20,000 miles oil change intervals, but they have much bigger oil pans. Bare in mind the same engines work much harder in "Barn door" sized Sprinter.
I just did lab test on my oil running 14,500 miles and changed it due to over 3 years of age. Here is the copy.

The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
cadetdrivr (06-25-2022), olesouthernboy (01-19-2023)
Old 06-25-2022, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 262 Posts
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250, Grandpa's Roadster
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I just did lab test on my oil running 14,500 miles and changed it due to over 3 years of age.
That's impressive! Was that in the Sprinter, or the E250? How big is the sump in the Sprinter?
Old 06-25-2022, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's V6 Sprinter, who is having 12 or 14 quarts oil pan capacity.
The previous oil change was done by PO and when I found the change mileage on ECU, I have no records what oil was used. Looks like it might be dino mix as there is no Molybdenum in it.
Also the Sprinter had sticker on windshield calling for oil change after 10k miles, what I ignored going up to 14.5k
Here is test from E250 for comparison. If I remember it right, the I4 in sedan takes 7 quarts of oil.

Last edited by kajtek1; 06-25-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:17 PM

GL 350 Bluetec
Mobile 1 ESP is $33 for 5qt at Auto Zone. Seems a decent choice, it meets MB 229.52 and is readily available
Old 06-25-2022, 09:54 PM

E350
There's no reason to own a om642 at this point in time unless you're one of those diesel weirdos who's stuck in the old times of 300d's.
Hey!
IBelieve (02-11-2023)
Old 06-26-2022, 10:43 AM

E350
I've worked on.. and unfortunately continue to work on... the om642 and It's garbage. The only reason they haven't been relagated to the junkyard is the emissions recall, cash payout, and 4 yr. warranty. Otherwise, owners would have parted ways with that obsolete failure of a design long ago, as the near constant out of pocket repairs, maintenance, and breakdowns far outweigh and benefit of having that engine.
OK I’ll cop to being one of those 300-D lovers. I had two that went well over 250K miles, so when I was ready to get a new E class, naturally I ended up with an OM642 (2021 E350).

The new engine is vastly smoother, more powerful, and quieter than the trusty inline five turbo. Whereas my woefully underpowered 300D would average around 27 mpg, the E-350 turns in 32 mpg tank after tank. (The car really shines on longer trips, and highway driving generally.)

And, yes, the engine is vastly more complex than the OM617. Of course, any V-6 is going to be more complex than an inline 5. I guess my question to OP is, what are the weaknesses specific to the OM642?

If you say CBU or EGR issues I do not disagree, but I am going to point you back to the EPA’s Tier 4 NOX and particulate regulations that took effect in January 2007, which threw everyone for a loop. (I have two BMW 335ds – both 2011 models -- and both have vastly greater problems with their emissions systems than my 2012 MB.)

Old 06-26-2022, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OM642 do have oil cooler seals that like to leak and intake flaps, who require cleaning.
When those jobs can be done with minimal parts cost, they involve lot of labor due to poor access and that is why lot of owners would rather hack the system and put resistor to fool computer, only to drive with clog intake.
But cooler seals got better over the years when Liquy Moly come with affordable intake cleaner.
I always like 4-cylinder diesel more for better fuel economy and easier service, but when I found Sprinter that I like with OM642 engine, I did not hesitate to buy it.
Sure mpg is poorer, but then I admire better torque. As you can see in the raport above - my Sprinter pass 200k miles and seems to be in excelent shape.
I am getting ready to replace alternator brushes.
Jfxogara (06-26-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Recommended timing chain interval on OM642 & other buying advice.