Sponsored by:

Engine failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB GL350 bluetech
Engine failure

My 2015 GL350 BTC 130,000 miles engine failed one month after coming off the extended warranty. For nearly two years leading up to the end of the warranty I was bringing my car to the MB dealership every few months because either the check engine light and low oil light was always on. The car was burning oil and was just not running well. I was begging the dealership to figure out what was wrong with the car and fix it before the warranty expired. Sure enough, one month after it expired, the car died and now they are telling me I need a new engine because of a single faulty bearing. Mercedes have offered to pay 50 percent of a $32k total bill. I don’t know what to do. This seems entirely unreasonable given all the issues I was having while my car was still under warranty were pointing to this inevitable outcome . I have performed every required service at the dealership since I got the car. Always paid for all services at MB and never took the car anywhere else thinking it was the right way to keep the car well maintained. I called corporate and opened a case but my “corporate advocate” is hardly doing anything to help. Basically just relaying the conversation between the dealership and the regional team I am not allowed to speak with. What I am asking is do I have any recourse and how do I further pursue. Does not seem like a MB engine should fail at 130k considering how well it was maintained and how long I have been telling them there was an issue. What do I do?
Old 09-26-2022, 09:50 PM

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
32k is rediculouse for new engine to drop in. Heck could get a lower mile used e350 for less then that.

Dont know of recourse so wait for others to respond. Will say thats a classic dealer move to screw people over.
The following users liked this post:
Unhappy owner (09-27-2022)
Old 09-27-2022, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
The OM642 engines have several records when they seized at low mileage due inadequate oils used.
Check this section for very long topic about it.
Now I have hard time to believe the dealer will give you the car back with CEL and low oil light. Can you post the repair orders here?
Now I read on Sprinter forum, that MB USA offers rebuild engines for about $9k and another $9k for labor and additional parts. That makes $18k for new engine.
Shop around and good luck.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:09 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Unhappy owner
My 2015 GL350 BTC 130,000 miles engine failed one month after coming off the extended warranty. For nearly two years leading up to the end of the warranty I was bringing my car to the MB dealership every few months because either the check engine light and low oil light was always on. The car was burning oil and was just not running well. I was begging the dealership to figure out what was wrong with the car and fix it before the warranty expired. Sure enough, one month after it expired, the car died and now they are telling me I need a new engine because of a single faulty bearing. Mercedes have offered to pay 50 percent of a $32k total bill. I don’t know what to do. This seems entirely unreasonable given all the issues I was having while my car was still under warranty were pointing to this inevitable outcome . I have performed every required service at the dealership since I got the car. Always paid for all services at MB and never took the car anywhere else thinking it was the right way to keep the car well maintained. I called corporate and opened a case but my “corporate advocate” is hardly doing anything to help. Basically just relaying the conversation between the dealership and the regional team I am not allowed to speak with. What I am asking is do I have any recourse and how do I further pursue. Does not seem like a MB engine should fail at 130k considering how well it was maintained and how long I have been telling them there was an issue. What do I do?
who said you can’t talk directly to the regional team? Have your paper work ready as service proof, hopefully it shows CEL light proof, find another dealer that will give your the regional team phone number
Old 11-03-2022, 07:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,934 Likes on 3,098 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Unhappy owner
Sorry to hear about this, it is unfortunate. The OM642 diesel V6 has been an abject failure and should be avoided. Path forward is to pay the money, or not. Then keep, or dump the car.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
OP - something does not quite add up in your description. A faulty bearing does not result in increased oil consumption over two years, and furthermore a dealership will not return a car that was brought in for service with an illuminated CEL or low oil light warning, so I suspect there is more to the story than what you described. What was their explanation for the repeated CEL and low oil warnings over the last two years? Can you post the service orders please?

If you have a paper trail that the vehicle had been repeatedly brought in to a dealership for the same issue that allegedly caused the engine to eventually fail which the dealership failed to remedy while the vehicle was under warranty, it's pretty much an open and shut case, but as I said, I suspect there is more to the story.

And, did you have the AEM performed? There are additional warranties associated with the same that may be applicable.