Series of issues - turbo actuator and MAF issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320
Series of issues - turbo actuator and MAF issues

Hi,

My Mercedes 2007 Gl320 (OM642) has had a series of issues and I'm wondering if they are related:
  • Went into limp mode a few weeks ago with a P2015 (also had a P1408, P0472, P0234. I noticed the MAF had cracked and there was oil that probably damaged the swirl motor control so I did the resisitor bypass. I was not able to figure out how to see if the flaps were open but others said they usually default open so I went with it. I also replaced the MAF with an eBay special (maybe a mistake but it was $98 and I just crossed 250k miles).
  • I cleared the codes and the P2015 went away
  • After a bit of driving I got P2359 (charge pressure too high), P2631 (MAF sensor right sensitivity driftAir mass ratio for calculated quantity (top), and P2510 Check the component Y77/1 (boost pressure regulator) positioner signals fault.
  • I read that I may need to reset the MAF so was hoping that was causing the P2631 so I used my Autel tool and did that
  • The check engine light came back on after a bit of driving with same 3 codes P2359, P2631 and P2510
  • I decided to try and swap the old MAF sensors into the new housing figuring maybe I got a bad unit off eBay. Car seemed to drive well for a bit then stuttered when I gave it a lot of gas and reactivated P2510.
So I am wondering if next step is to remove and inspect or replace the turbo actuator which seems to be related to the P2510. I was wondering if maybe with all the codes it's been throwing lately the turbo has been deactivated and if being idle for a bit may have seized up the actuator. Also wondering if there is a way to make sure those swirl flaps are open without having to tear down the engine extensively in case that is part of the problem (although the car does accelerate and drive well until and the intermittent stuttering problem that flips the P2510 so not sure if the swirl flaps were stuck closed if it would perform ok at all. It doesn't appear to be in limp mode anymore which is a positive. Also just not sure how inter-related all these items are I am guessing some definitely are related.

Max

Last edited by mjanasik; 11-04-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2023, 04:45 PM

GL320
After driving about 30 min car went back into limp mode and all 3 codes reappeared P2359, P2510, and P2631. Also I failed to mention there is a distinct diesel smell compared to the normal kind of weird ammonia smell
Old 11-28-2023, 08:53 PM

GL320
If anyone has a similar problem and just needs the car to run, the "temporary" fix that seems to be working for me to continue to drive the car is to unplug the MAF, turbo actuator and exhaust backpressure sensor. Check engine light stays on but the car does not go into limp mode and performs acceptably without the turbo. I'm about a month into driving it this way.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:06 PM

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
I know you say temporary fix but am wondering what emissions this vehicle has on it? If its a DPF (dont think it has SCR but could be wrong) your filling it up right now. Guess it doesnt as I imagine it would be packed right now. Heck even a CAT would be getting clogged. Without the turbo working its gotta be pumping the soot like crazy. Thinking a new turbo and actuator are in order. Not sure of the success of removing the turbo/actuator and doing a rebuild/cleanup of them are.