Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ML350 Blutec Starts runs 5 sec then stops.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML350 Blutec
Thanks, I set up an appointment for them to see if it is covered.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 CDI
Did you ever find out what the problem was?
Looks like I'm having the same issue.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2024, 04:53 PM

ML350 Blutec
That Sucks,

Did you have a clogged DPF and broke turbo?
Or just the run/stop?

I have reached out to MB Service and they are thinking it is something electrical but not the battery.
It will be towed up there.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 CDI
No, there is a different story behind it. This is a 320 Cdi 2007. My rear SAM module broke after disconnect/reconnecting the battery. Lost a lot of functions such as wipers and turn signals etc. but the car (or at least the engine) did run until recently. A new SAM has an expected delivery time of 6 months (4 to go). Haven't really used it, just made sure that the battery have not flattened out by charging and starting the engine plus a couple of short trips to prevent stiffening. Recently my wife took the car for a short trip to the store and on her way back the engine started to misbehave and came to a stop. After that it just starts for a few seconds and then stops, something like you describe. I get a fault code P2626 that I cannot erase from the memory. Apparently this could be caused by clogged O2 sensors. I suspect that due to the faulty SAM module the engine have run on a very low rpm (and I suspect that the turbo hasn't been running), hence the clogging. But I'm a newbie. My case could also be caused by an electrical fault as well due to the SAM, I don't know. That's why I was exited to hear the feedback from your dealer but I guess it's a bit early for that.
Since your problem came i association with a clogged DPF and turbo malfunction, could it be that your O2 sensors are clogged too and you have the P2626 fault as well?
Old 01-04-2024, 04:15 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
@ML#320
, as far as getting a rear SAM I found that by pulling it, noting the exact part number and buying used on eBay I DIYed it and avoided need for dealer coding new module to my car.
Think it was about $150.
Ideally, you would find one with about the same manufacture date. They are out there!
It might not matter so much since as a 2007 MY car, yours is well away from the midyear 2008 refresh.

Malfunctioning rear SAM is a major PITA in these cars. And a safety issue, as you probably noticed!
From recollection, in addition to no fuel gauge, no wipers - you also have unreliable fuel lift pump operation.
So many power supply issues stemming from one module!

Never open the rearmost (power operated) windows, just leave them closed else you forget to close them afterword.
And make sure the rear hatch seal is clean and working right.
And, go ahead and pull the drain plugs out of the spare tire well under the tire, so that they what? (drain?!)

@MattinMS
You've got 3 or 4 codes stemming from the DPF pressure differential sensor.
In English, the codes are telling you "I don't have a trustworthy reading on that sensor. From this I must conclude that the DPF is bad. Therefore I must stop the motor!"
Replace the DPF pressure sensor with a new one.
(The same Bosch part number applies to Sprinters, and pretty much all MB diesels which have a DPF).
Maybe not all of them, but very much most of them.

So whatever you find for your car, MB#, find a parts listing that shows the Bosch cross-reference (maybe IDParts.com?), probably this one (0281006278)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255273295664
Put it in, then start playing around with clearing codes...

Or, take it to the dealer
The following users liked this post:
ML#320 (01-06-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:43 PM

ML350 Blutec
Thanks Guys for all the help.

I had it towed and it was under the current emission recall. They updated/replaced parts and it is running fine.

Thanks for those great suggestions.

Matt
The following users liked this post:
John CC (03-19-2024)