Sponsored by:

W124 300D Coolant Leak after installing OEM overflow tank cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300D
W124 300D Coolant Leak after installing OEM overflow tank cap

Hey guys, been lurking about a year but this is my first post. I purchased a used 300D a couple years ago and have been doing some maintenance to get it back to daily driving condition. The motor itself runs great. I noticed large fluctuations in temperature during our hot summer but never over heated it. No coolant in oil or oil in coolant.

I decided to replace the radiator expansion tank cap after noticing the current one was generic and fit loosely. I did add a mix of zerex g-05 and distilled water until it seemed at a proper level prior to the install. After the car warmed up I capped it and not long after the car started dumping coolant from the rear of the motor towards the driver’s side. Some of the coolant was green so I know it didn’t always receive the proper coolant.

i was thinking freeze plug but I’m not sure and hoping you guys have some input. I would like to repair it myself but I’m not quite sure yet.

i have a video but am having trouble uploading I’ll try in another post. Hopefully these aren’t too low resolution

thanks in advanced

Last edited by desertdiesel; 03-24-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 774 Posts
G550
Not sure where you're located, but here in the U.S. the Zerex G-xx coolants are sold already cut to 50/50 -- no need to add water. Any chance you mixed it with water and it's boiling out?
Old 03-24-2024, 07:48 PM

1991 300D
Originally Posted by streborx
Not sure where you're located, but here in the U.S. the Zerex G-xx coolants are sold already cut to 50/50 -- no need to add water. Any chance you mixed it with water and it's boiling out?
i bought non diluted. They sell both at my Napa in Phoenix. Where would it be boiling out from?

There was green coolant from the other owner, I feel like I’ve read somewhere that some of the coolant is in the back of the motor or something and that there’s another drain back there on the bottom for a proper flush.

Here’s a link to my video. It’s not letting me upload

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VT0RB0aueL-4w5Ur_RdQXrDTXC6rk2mK/view

Last edited by desertdiesel; 03-24-2024 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 774 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by desertdiesel
i bought non diluted. They sell both at my Napa in Phoenix. Where would it be boiling out from?

There was green coolant from the other owner, I feel like I’ve read somewhere that some of the coolant is in the back of the motor or something and that there’s another drain back there on the bottom for a proper flush.

Here’s a link to my video. It’s not letting me upload

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VT0...TXC6rk2mK/view
Go to https://mb.vin and enter your VIN. PM me digits 4-9 of your VIN and the first 6 digits of the engine code. I'll check the MB WIS and see what's there about your engine's cooling system and return a copy to you.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:51 PM

1991 300D
Originally Posted by streborx
Go to https://mb.vin and enter your VIN. PM me digits 4-9 of your VIN and the first 6 digits of the engine code. I'll check the MB WIS and see what's there about your engine's cooling system and return a copy to you.
thank you. I’ll get it to you tomorrow, when I’m back home.