Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2024, 10:06 AM
M D

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
08 e320 Bluetec 200k miles
Turbo help

Hey guys,
I have a 2008 Bluetek w/200k miles that's been performing poorly and need some assistance. First a little background:
CEL persist and going into limp mode. Recycle the key and it runs fine for a few miles and then problems resume. I had multiple codes including downstream O2 sensor (which I replaced), 2598-001 EGR positioner fault (which I replaced), 2944-004 Glow plug 3 (haven't replaced yet). After replacing the EGR I started getting 2355-001 EGR Air mass too low. While no longer going into limp mode, it started jerking during acceleration almost every time I cranked it up but then seemed to stabilize after running for a while. The RPM's of the engine matched the jerking. Mileage is low - 20MPG.
All of this led me to suspect intake manifold plugging and Swirl flaps.

I took the intakes off yesterday to clean them (and replace the oil cooler and Swirl motor while out) and started questioning whether the Turbo was acceptable or not. There's NO sign of the vanes hitting the sides of the housing and it has a little play in it when I attempt to push the vanes to either side. When I acquired the car I was told be the owner that the Turbo had recently been replaced though no way to know for sure. So I'm going to start the clean-up process on the intakes but I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the Turbo possibly being bad. I would rather replace it now that a month from now even though its going to cost me $1300. BTW, one of the exhaust bolts on the Turbo broke off in the Turbo when removing. So if I keep this one I have to do an extraction (fun fun).

What are your thoughts and thank you so much!