Diesel Forum Forum for Diesel engine vehicle related discussion

Om642 Injector leaking???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 11:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL350
Om642 Injector leaking???

Just come here to see if I can get second opinions.
Currently 2012 Mercedes Gl350 is running and driving.
Yesterday got Cel on for P2459

Diesel particulate filter (DPF), regeneration process - number of DPF regeneration cycles too high

Yes this is obd2 reading. Star or Xentry is not available, as i don’t have one, nor don’t know who has the system available. it’s pretty expensive too.
I was pretty shocked about that code. Not really sure why it’s come up. Car didn’t go into limp mode either. I erased the code and it’s now permanent but cel off I have driven about 60km since, and it hasn’t come back on. This car has been burning oil, a lot a lot. I replaced the pcv valve about 4 days ago, so i’m waiting a little longer to see how much oil it’s consuming again with the pcv replaced because i really do think that was the problem. But to the injectors…
I notice that the injector 1 i think (closest to oil cap) is starting to black death its self. It’s leaking from the seal. What does this mean tho? Does it mean the injector is leaking, or can i just replace the seal. The car has power, smooth, and good idle too. However today after driving about 20 kilometres, all normal operating temperatures, i had the car idling to get something, and passed by the back. When i was passing the back, there was straight diesel smell from the exhaust exit. I have a feeling that an injector is leaking (likely number 1???), causing too much regens for the dpf. I would like to mention that the soot percentage does go to 0% after it finishes, so it’s doing its job. If it was oil leaking into the dpf, it would get clogged. Another thing i’m experiencing today which could be a injector issue as well, is, when starting from a red light, in boost, the car sputters a good 3 times… No idea why it’s doing that. Noticed today.

2012 Mercedes Gl350 250k kilometres.
Id like to hear some opinions, and again, I wish i had star or xentry. But not affordable right now.

(edit - punctuation correction)

Last edited by https.ylli; 09-23-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2024, 10:03 PM
Veteran: Navy

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts
2014 Cummins, 2014 E250 Bluetec
Dont know much about the injector per say but you say its burning alot of oil and the exhaust smells like diesel means you have couple of serious issues. Assume you know about the om642 gelling issue with engine oil?

Both of your issues will cause the DPF to clog very fast and thus go into regen very frequently. That is why you got that code more than likely. It will not fix itself until the other issues are fixed.

Any dealer will have xentry but sounds like ya dont want to deal with them which is understandable. Hopefully ya have some good mechanical skills and someplace to tear it down.

Edit: too add sounds like the black death stuff is just the copper washer leaking by the injector, however this is one you want to get fixed up quickly otherwise more pain and money if let to ride for too long.

Last edited by Quint22; 09-24-2024 at 10:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 GL350
Originally Posted by Quint22
Dont know much about the injector per say but you say its burning alot of oil and the exhaust smells like diesel means you have couple of serious issues. Assume you know about the om642 gelling issue with engine oil?

Both of your issues will cause the DPF to clog very fast and thus go into regen very frequently. That is why you got that code more than likely. It will not fix itself until the other issues are fixed.

Any dealer will have xentry but sounds like ya dont want to deal with them which is understandable. Hopefully ya have some good mechanical skills and someplace to tear it down.

Edit: too add sounds like the black death stuff is just the copper washer leaking by the injector, however this is one you want to get fixed up quickly otherwise more pain and money if let to ride for too long.
Thanks for the Reply. I do not recall what the oil gelling issue is with the om642. Tried searching and didn’t find any results.